View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Sorry to hear that the results are not as you wished or confirmed your fears. Try not to worry too much, I am guessing that the suspected condition is OCD (osteochondrosis) and if it is the pain is caused by pieces of cartilage becoming detached from the joint or a part of the bone has not attached (ununited medial coronoid process) and that, as one would expect, causing pain within the joint. The operation is to either remove the piece that has broken away or if it is a very large piece or cartilage it is sometimes fixed back. Either way the condition can be treated and it is almost always diagnosed in a young large or rapid growing dog, the Rottie being one of the breeds that are frequently effected. There can be I think a number of causes but it is thought that the breeding of the animal may have made it prone to the problem as may over supplementation particularly with calcium, so let the dogs breeder know that he has this problem and they may wish to adjust their breeding programme.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
poor Murphy
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Harley has arthritis in both his elbows, and he had an op a couple of weeks ago. We go back to the vets in about 3 weeks so we are waiting to see if he's ok. He is only 10 months old, i told the breeder as she was going to have more pups next year.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear things aren't good.I'm sure you'll both cope...its usually the 'shock' of being told these things that seem to make things look bleak and then after we've coped for a whil things aren't so bad!
Nikki
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Traci - I'm so sorry to hear about Harley and am sending you both hugs, its a very worrying time for us mummy's especially with them being so young.

Thordell - I don't recall the vet mentioning OCD, he did mention Elbow Dyphasia and went on to talk about there being nor or little cartilidge and the bone growing extra bone to compensate and little bits of bone floating around and it all being very painful, but the op is to remove the xtra bone that has grown. Apparently this is congenitial and Back Yard Breeder don't help the matter !!

I got Murphy through a rescue, not from a breeder (I only have rescue animals ) and apparently though Murphy was bred for temperament, but the breeder obviously didn't worry too much about how the rest of him would be

Archer - you are right, yesterday felt like a very black day but I feel more confident today and have been looking for my local doggie hydro pool as I have been advised that as Murphy has to have his exercise cut down, swimming is a fantastic alternative so he doesn't end up with muscle wastage.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Glad your feeling a bit more positive!
Nikki
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks Stephanie, glad your feeling better about things it is worrying. Hope everythings ok next week at his check.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 05:08 PM
aw i am sorry to hear poor murphys news and we are sending him bug hugs and kisses!! xxxxxx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Have to say that I had not heard of Elbow Dysplasia before but think the word dysplasia means abnormal growth so it does sound much the same as OCD, the bone grows where there is damaged cartilage and causes pain. Think the op sounds the same and can be very successful. As you say poor breeding does not help and he is a lucky lad to have you to care for him.

Glad you are feeling more positive about it to day, also glad he is insured. Do hope that the vet has good news for you when you return and that treatment can start soon.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Aww -sorry to hear this -poor Murphy
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >