View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kate Smith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2006, 05:43 PM
I am empathising with you tigger, one of the worrying things is if you have a bright puppy he will pick up all the messages. Like when you leave he knows you are concerned. He is also aware that bad behaviour is rewarded. Like when your poor hubs took him to the lounge. Don't think for one minute I am critisizing you, I am having the same trouble. Not on the howling but Ruud gets very distressed. I am sure he is picking that up from me.

We have been told that with a clever pup you have to pull a fast one every now and then look as if you are going out and then don't or vice versa.

Most of all like Minni says it is not an overnight thing and could take ages. best of luck love. Just keep keeping on.
sasha_the_trash
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2006, 06:42 PM
sasha has this same problem. these replys are very helpfull. think ive been approaching it worngly.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks kate

I suppose he is picking up vibes off me. I certainly know that last night for the first time in ages he woke up at 4am ( usually sleeps from midnight til 7am) for a poo of all things! He *never* poo's in the middle of the night and after he had been, he was a right little strop-monster! Decided not to get back into his crate (normally does it as if in a dream) and dodged me around the kitchen-so in this instance i suspect he had just an inkling that I wanted to get back to bed, like half an hour ago! He is obviously unsettled by the events of yesterday.

I have bought a new kong (the one I had was one of those ridged ones) the big red one and have stuffed it with a mixture of bio yoghurt, Naturediet, small sprinkling of James Wellbeloved and a few very small pieces of hard cheese! Its in the freezer as we speak. Im gonna conduct an experiment later today -to see how long it entertains him and if he will ignore me leaving the room when he has it.
Please cross your fingers for me as if this appeals to him, it *may* keep him quiet next Friday, when I have to leave him from 8.15 - 11.15.

It is crazy how this is affecting me though! All the time I was at enrolment at Uni he was on my mind-I probably came across as a rather distracted, anxious stress-head to all who met me. Whilst discussing modules the head of dept asked me if I had children to consider and I said 'Yes, but Im more concerned about my puppy actually'. What a thing to say! I didnt quite mean it how it came out!
I am also feeling bad for my OH who has to listen to him. Anyone heard a springer howl? They seem to sing in the middle of it.

I suppose I could set up the video camera to record to see what he gets up to. Or do you think that may be too upsetting to watch? Anyone done this?
Or if this doesnt resolve itself at all (I suppose some dogs dont grow out of it?) I may have to look into pet sitters/kennels. Any experience of that?
Thank you so much for all the replies and help so far everyone.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4