Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2006, 11:46 AM

Help with Lip Whistle

My friend Alison has decided to get a shepherds plastic lip whistle to teach her 2 dogs, a collie and a collie cross some whistled commands for distance control. The problem is Alison can't for the life of her work out how to blow the whistle and I've never used one either ( I'm blessed with a melodious natural whistle)

Do any of you know how to make a noise with a flat lip whistle?
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
sorry no idea at all ,but good luck anyway
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
I've told my friend to keep scouring different shepherding and Border collie sites on the net.I think that's her best bet failing any bright spark here being able to shed light on the matter
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Ive never used one, only the silent adjustable tone whistles but I found this on line, apparantly your friend is not alone in learning the technique. There are instructional videos/dvd's available on line according to this.

http://www.akc.org/events/herding/he...les.cfm?page=2

I just put in ....shepherd+lip+whistle+instructions into google and it came up with quite a few pages on it.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
it is hard and takes alot of practice to be able to do it reliably - try tilting your tongue at the back and kind of forcing the air forward instead of blowing - its hard to explain so im probably not much help