Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:11 PM

How often do you groom your dog?

Ok, be honest! And how often do you think you should groom your dog? What does your dog's coat care etc. entail? Just wondering because of some things that have been said to me recently...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Molly, a full coated Westie, I brush and comb out every second day, chalk groom once a week, sometimes twice depending on how manky she is!

Roxy, a short coated Basenji x BC, gets a Zoom Groom, slicker and wipe down twice a week, although she's a hairy Mary at the minute so I probably should be doing her more than that!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I brush Daisy and Raz a couple of times a week max. (longcoated GSDs) And really that`s only the trousers and ruff, where it tangles.
Shamus Shorthair insists he`s brushed as well although he really never needs doing.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:43 PM
This weather is a nightmare as they are always caked in mud and with Jed being heavy coated, he collects everything in it. Once he's dried out I try and brush as much of it out as possible but he gets grumpy and mardy so I only do it very quickly.

At the moment he's got various bits of stuff he's rolled in covering his fur (including something which smells like tar or diesel or similar) so a trip to the groomers is very much needed.

I trim the feathering off his front legs, try and keep his trousers fairly short at the back (he's got really dense straw like fur here and it gets matted and dirty and it's one area he wont let me groom). In the summer I use one of those combs which take out the undercoat. I also use thinning scissors on his problem areas.

Flynn is easy as he's got only a very thin covering of hair and it takes 5 seconds to brush him down. He is bathed once a month with a medicated shampoo the vet gave me for his dry skin. I also trim his beard to stop him looking like ZZ Top (got my wrist slapped by a GWP breeder for trimming his beard straight across instead of to a point or something!)

Jessie has a short but thick coat so I just brush her and that seems to do the trick.

I do try and brush them daily but at this time of year I let the routine slip a bit as they are always too wet and by the time they dry out, it's time to get dirty again.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Yorkie -- clipped coat -- brushed every few days, even every other day; depends on how scruffy she looks. Gets a 'haircut' every 8 weeks or so. Only gets bathed when at the groomers.

Lab -- pretty much never. Brushed only when blowing coat, a couple of times a year maybe. Bathed only when covered in something he has rolled in (1-2 times a year).

Slovak -- never been brushed, bathed once in her life thus so far (as a puppy, when she was caked in her own poo!).
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Honestly...not very often, every couple of weeks sometimes more...but they have easy short coats (and why I will never own a long haired dog, lol!)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Mine dont really need brushing, I try and remember to do it now and again so the brush gets some of the hair not the carpet
Muck and tangles fall off them so they dont need washed either
Easy care dogs
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I was brushing Tilly every day whilst she lost her coat between July & Xmas! Not proper brushing but using the zoom groom, just to get rid of loose fur which was coming out by the handful - It's stopped now thank goodness but I still go through the grooming motions each day & she gets very muddy so I brush that off when dry or if she's really bad she goes in the bath. She doesn't like being touched/examined so I've cut her long trousers off as they kept getting matted. Haven't touched her tail or leg feathers & would love to get behind her ears as she gets knots there but she won't let me, so have to sneakily pretend I'm just rubbing her with my hands whilst trying to undu tangles with my fingers! She hasn't worked out what I'm doing yet I also still use puppy deodorising spray when she's stinky - she doesn't like that either so I spray it on my hands & rub her - I'd love a dog that actually liked being groomed my cat loves it!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Mine dont really need brushing, I try and remember to do it now and again so the brush gets some of the hair not the carpet
Muck and tangles fall off them so they dont need washed either
Easy care dogs
I want one like that - like an easy care M&S shirt
Diamond
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Don't need to groom Odin (Elkhound) very much... but he does like it... so I brush him twice a week.

Gem (Eurasier) needs grooming at least twice a week as she is longer coated. She does get little matts by her ears which she hates me to touch so having been biten once during the process I put a muzzle on her when I get to troubling spots and I take it nice and gentle and try to make it a nice experience.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »