Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I-Mac
How do you suppose a greyhound is encouraged to chase a hare?
Do you think they feed the greyhound adequately and then expect it to chase a clockwork toy on a full stomach?
Answers on a postcard please..........
Well the ones I have watched being trained havent required any encouragement at all!! Neither have my Borders, nor will a large proportion of "high prey drive" breeds or types.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2008, 05:32 PM
What you are saying then Galty, is that it is perfectly OK for the industry to breed a dog with an agressive blood line, kennel it for 23 hours a day and muzzle it for that period if it has to share a kennel....................
And then when its no longer fit for racing, just slaughter it?
Agressive blood line?????????? thats a new one.

10 years a go I breed a litter out of a bitch I had raced and taken home.

She had six pups, I arranged for them to be brought up as a pack on a Farm in Suffock.

When 11 months the A Alpha turned on one of his brothers and Killed him.

The other fiver where schooled and 4 of them chased, the other I as some of you say was dumped with a friend of mine.

The bitch when trialing did a wrist found her a home.

Total out lay to date£10.000.

The other 3 graded on including the A Alpha male.

To cut a long story short when the A Alpha male was retired after fighting his head off at Canterbury I took him home.

He lived with me for 5 years till he died.

He could never be let off the lead never if other dogs about unmuzzled.

This was after when out walking with him a little dog ran up from behind and he had it, owner thank God was understanding and the dog was not to badly hurt.

The main point is that the other 2 dogs who had a racing carrear where never like he was.

When he was in racing kennels he was always kept on his own as he attacked any dog he could.

Would you home a dog like that to inexperianced people.

Yes I would say that if you cannot find an experianced home for a dog like that yes in YOUR words slaughter the dog.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I-Mac
How do you suppose a greyhound is encouraged to chase a hare?
Do you think they feed the greyhound adequately and then expect it to chase a clockwork toy on a full stomach?
Answers on a postcard please..........
THey either chase or they dont, if you saying that greyhounds are starved to encourge to chase then you are wrong.

Dont think you should work any dog on a full stomach anyway.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Suze
Thanx for posting.
Rather than go over things that have been said on this thread, perhaps just go through all the anti posts, as I blieve this gives more than enough reasons why it should be banned.
More Rules and Regulations?
The rules are in place now. The industry fail to enforce them through lack of funds or for fear of losing public confidence if the extent of the 'cheets', 'abusers' and 'killers' are exposed. The industry is in a 'no win' situation. If they enforce the rules and show the public they are policing the iundustry, then the public would not attend greyhound racing knowing what goes on behind the scenes.
hi, well if the rules n regs are enforced, then wouldnt that end up with people 'knowing the truth' and wouldnt go to the races, then there wouldne be a need for racing and those against it would 'win'

imo its like eating horse meat - its not gonna get banned but campaign to improve the conditions of transport and the way thigns are handled.....
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Suze
Well thats where you and me disagree. I and many other supporters believe that greyhound racing will be banned.
Its not a matter of who wins or loses, its not a fight. I campaign to educate people on the reality and the truths of greyhound racing. The fact that so many greyhounds die on the tracks or are euthanased because their injury is uneconomical to treat. Lots of healthy greyhounds are slaughtered after racing because there just arent the homes for all the greyhounds. For every puppy that makes it to the tracks another puppy will have been culled because it wont chase or perform. These are all acceptable senarios in greyhound racing. No amount of rules or regulations are ever going to change these issues, they will always be a problem, whether the industry is self regulated or independently regulated.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Suze
Well thats where you and me disagree. I and many other supporters believe that greyhound racing will be banned.
Its not a matter of who wins or loses, its not a fight. I campaign to educate people on the reality and the truths of greyhound racing. The fact that so many greyhounds die on the tracks or are euthanased because their injury is uneconomical to treat. Lots of healthy greyhounds are slaughtered after racing because there just arent the homes for all the greyhounds. For every puppy that makes it to the tracks another puppy will have been culled because it wont chase or perform. These are all acceptable senarios in greyhound racing. No amount of rules or regulations are ever going to change these issues, they will always be a problem, whether the industry is self regulated or independently regulated.

In my opinion that is where anti-racing folk fall down. Greyhound racing will never be banned, there is too much money made by book makers and in turn the government! Instead campaigns should focus on improving the way things are, not fight a lost cause.

Also I don't know where you get you figures from, and whether those figures include countries like spain which is appalling. Or am I lucky enough to have been blessed with only seeing the nicer side of the industry. In the several litters of puppies that I have personally known about only one dog was ever put to sleep. At least half went on to race, the others where all homed as puppies/young dogs.

Also, a greyhound does not need to be starved to chase. Jade is a rather plump girl, and is certainly fed enough, it doesn't stop her wanting to chase. Greyhounds are never made to chase, and the only encouragement that they get is placing something to chase in front of them. The reason they race on an empty stomach is because it is not healthy to run on a full stomach! I'd like to see you do a 400m sprint after eating a full dinner!
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
What a defeatist attitude. No doubt you will have said blacks/women/gays will never have the same rights as white straight men and dog fighting, hare coursing and hunting will never be banned.
I dont know what figures you are refering to but you are indeed blessed if you have ever only known one puppy killed. Again the All Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare (2007) concluded that ‘an average of 2,478 British bred dogs were earmarked by the NGRC but never made it to NGRC tracks’ and ‘we must assume that a significant number of these youngsters are destroyed each year’.
As the UK only breeds 25% of greyhounds for the Uk market, it would be a fair calculation that another minimum of 7,434 puppies were killed in Ireland to supply the UK market.
Please wake up to the reality of this abusive industry.
How can you call yourself a dog lover when you support an industry that is responsible for these poor creatures.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIInZ80tnFo
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
It isn't defeatist, it is being realistic. Too much money is being made from racing, by the bookmakers and the government, for them to ever want to ban racing. Plus once they banned that, there would be pressure to ban horse racing too. This just won't happen.

There are massive improvements are needed in terms of regulating the industry, and policing it, and this is where I think effort is needed from protesters. Accept that it won't get banned, and look to improving things. Why won't the NGRC use DNA profiling - because there is no pressure to do so.

I may well have been blessed, or is it that I only associate with those owners and trainers that treat their dogs with respect.

And in response to your comments about Irish dogs, as I have previously stated I would like to see a ban on Irish imports, so that the industry dies out over there!
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Dies out in Ireland? Now who is being unrealistic?
Why should it be left to the protesters to put pressure on the industry to police itself?
Whats the matter with all these 'dog lover' trainers who are privvy to inside information on those who abuse and slaughter greyhounds?
I suspect they are quite happy in the knowledge that they can turn a blind eye to it and plead their innocence.
Aiding and abetting is what I would call it.
And for the record.........encouraging your dog to race at 40mph risking life and limb is not in my book treating a dog with respect. Is it yours?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Again the All Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare (2007) concluded that ‘an average of 2,478 British bred dogs were earmarked by the NGRC but never made it to NGRC tracks’ and ‘we must assume that a significant number of these youngsters are destroyed

Jodie

Pick you up on this point.

A Fact you state 2,478 dogs ear marked dogs never made it to NGRC tracks.

Have to ask you with the points below can you prove me wrong.

How many of these where breed for coursing(Not so many in the future thanks to tree huggers)

How many went to the 16 + flapping tracks.

How many who never graded where re-homed.

How many who never graded where PTS

I have given my experience(you have none... only links) of a litter I breed, out of a litter of 5... 3 made it to the track, one died and one was re homed.

As I have said before its pure Propaganda.
Page 14 of 157 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 114 > Last »