Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wee Rascal
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Outside dining...?

As a recent convert to raw feeding...i've been quite lucky that the weather has been agreeable for Jake to eat outside without getting wet etc.

Unfortunately, I dont have a porch or anything where he can go to eat in bad weather. My kitchen's a dining kitchen and with little uns running around and eating in there, I want his raw food outside.

I was thinking of buying and putting up a little shed/store outside the back door for him to eat his meals in when it's raining etc. I'd leave the door open for him and put rubber matting on the floor to keep it clean. I've measured it out and the size is ample for him to stand/turn around comfortably and he'll be protected from the elements.

I mentioned this to one of my friends who's also a dog owner however...and she thought it was cruel to "shove him out in the cold to eat"

I really don't see the problem...I thought it was a good thing to do for him. This is the store I mean...without garden stuff of course

That's ok isn't it?
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Would you not be cheaper buying a kennel for him? I don't see the problem in putting him outside to eat, I know others do it. Ranger eats at my front door on the laminate. I put a blanket down for him to lie on and eat his bones then it just gets bunged in the washing machine. When it's meat he just eats it out of his bowl and I can quickly mop the area
Wee Rascal
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Would you not be cheaper buying a kennel for him? I don't see the problem in putting him outside to eat, I know others do it. Ranger eats at my front door on the laminate. I put a blanket down for him to lie on and eat his bones then it just gets bunged in the washing machine. When it's meat he just eats it out of his bowl and I can quickly mop the area
I priced kennels and this wee garden store is actually cheaper
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:22 PM
oh well, in that case I say go for it Pity you're not nearer us, we're actually giving Rangers kennel away 'cause he never uses it! And whilst I'm coming up the road this weekend, I don't think we can fit the kennel in the car as well as the dog
Wee Rascal
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
oh well, in that case I say go for it Pity you're not nearer us, we're actually giving Rangers kennel away 'cause he never uses it! And whilst I'm coming up the road this weekend, I don't think we can fit the kennel in the car as well as the dog
Cheers...yes I think I'll just get that one for him. I couldn't see the problem with it myself. Some folks have very skewed ideas about what's "cruel" to animals. I'd quite like a wee place I could go to eat in peace away from the pests in this house
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm cruel, I turf Cain out in the garden to eat in almost any weather he doesn't seem to mind. I didn't throw him out in the snow, nor if it's pouring with rain. But he eats with 20 mins so I don't think a bit of cold does him any harm.

However I have trained him to eat on a cheap tarp when he does need to eat inside in bad weather. Easy to wash down. That might be a cheaper option?
Wee Rascal
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm cruel, I turf Cain out in the garden to eat in almost any weather he doesn't seem to mind. I didn't throw him out in the snow, nor if it's pouring with rain. But he eats with 20 mins so I don't think a bit of cold does him any harm.

However I have trained him to eat on a cheap tarp when he does need to eat inside in bad weather. Easy to wash down. That might be a cheaper option?
you're a bad mother right enough
I'll get the wee store I think though, it can double up as a wee shelter from the sun if we get a summer this year
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Go for it it looks great and I can't think of any negatives for providing a dog shelter.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Mine eat where they like on the garden Word of warning - check after (we have had rats but it's probably due to our bunnies rather than the dogs)

Louie does have an old dog igloo from a relative of my OH's dog and he does eat in there if he feels like it, but they mainly have their own spots on the grass..
Wee Rascal
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Mine eat where they like on the garden Word of warning - check after (we have had rats but it's probably due to our bunnies rather than the dogs)

Louie does have an old dog igloo from a relative of my OH's dog and he does eat in there if he feels like it, but they mainly have their own spots on the grass..
Will do...but he's yet to leave anything behind
I've no problem with him going anywhere he likes in the garden but the good old Scottish weather can be a tad harsh at times here and when we get the wind and rain we REALLY get it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >