View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2012, 11:46 AM

How long should I feed this food to my new puppy?

Right well I have just got a new puppy springer spaniel after many weeks of trying to decide if it's a good decision for many reasons.
Anyway he is lovely and my other two dogs love him too bits. The only problem is I am a bit worried about the food that the owner has weaned him on. It is Morrispns complete with chicken and rice and vegetables which consists of cereals mostly and also has colorants in it also, mixed in with butchers tripe mix which is for adults. Now he looks really healthy but that will be down to the nutrients he had got from his mothers milk. I know I can't suddenly change him but how long do you think I should leave him on it before i gradually change his diet. His toilet is okay and I don't want to upset his stomach. I have only has him since Saturday but he has settled in really well and has no fear of anything.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I would think find something you are happy with and gradually introduce over the course of a few days start off small amounts then gradually increase till the new food is the biggest amount and he is tolerating the new food with no problems. Once he is doing that the old food may well be finished or you can discard it and settle him properly onto whatever you have chosen full time.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks Lynn. Just a bit concerned about feeding this to him at all really but he seems ok. Will probably try him on raw eventually but just a little worried with him been only a pup. Would like to give him a scrambled egg as one of his meals but is that likely to upset him with it been different.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
Thanks Lynn. Just a bit concerned about feeding this to him at all really but he seems ok. Will probably try him on raw eventually but just a little worried with him been only a pup. Would like to give him a scrambled egg as one of his meals but is that likely to upset him with it been different.
Scrambled eggs are good. Ollie never use to get them made with milk or butter. For him it was heat a small amount of sunflower oil in a pan then add the eggs and scramble. Dillon gets them made with a little goats milk and then cooked in a small amount of sunflower oil. They are good raw too. You could start trying him on small amounts of raw if thats the way you want to go. Find the predicted adult weight for the breed and then feed 2-3% of that adjust up or down according to how quickly he fills out or not. Dillon is on 21/2% of his predicted adult weight I have estimated slighlty under for him as they do need to be kept lean they are not good if allowed to get overweight especially while growing due to the size of their frame.

There are some good foods out there if you do not want to try the raw yet or change your mind about it. Forgot to say congratulations on your new puppy and do we get pictures ?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Id recomend the scrambled eggs I still give my dog scrambled eggs from time to time, doesnt cost me anything as I keep chickens.

I switched to raw after I found it difficult understanding the content of comercial brands and could not find anything suitable for Millie.

I also was not happy with the lack of meat content found in most brands but like others have said feed what works for you im sure you will get lots of recomendations for comercial brands.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok thanks lynn and pippam will try a scrambled egg dinner tomorrow , will feel better knowing he is having one of his meals a bit more nutritious. One thing I don't understand though is why is it ok to completely change a meal from a commercial dry food to scrambled egg without doing it gradually yet when changing to a different dry food you are supposed to do it over a Length of time.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 03:33 PM
If you feel unhappy about giving it traight away try mixing some of it in his food just remember to feed a little bit less of the dry food since your adding something to it.

Too much food can be the result of a jippy tummy too.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I was recommended to feed scrambled egg when we got Sweep, he focken hated the stuff! which is just as well as the smell made me wretch!

Though i think the best food for your dog is the food s/he does best on. My CKC does best on bakers, i know loads of other dogs who do terribly on it. To the same extent, you get dogs that do very well on very 'good' foods and some that do badly on them.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
I was recommended to feed scrambled egg when we got Sweep, he focken hated the stuff! which is just as well as the smell made me wretch!

Though i think the best food for your dog is the food s/he does best on. My CKC does best on bakers, i know loads of other dogs who do terribly on it. To the same extent, you get dogs that do very well on very 'good' foods and some that do badly on them.
I know some dogs do fantastic on foods that I'm not keen on. I just worry because my lab was given a cereal based food as a puppy and has had so many problems throughout her life with her legs and that but who knows even if she had had a better brand or raw she may have been even worse. I think I will go with my instincts and gradually change hiim over to a more meat based dog food or raw. Will have a good think but am going to leave him on this cereal"until I see the vet on thurs for his vacc as don't want him to have a bad tum.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post

Bakers is full of food colourants though like your CKC my cocker loved them! Though the food colourants are the only reason I wouldnt give them to my dog:>
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >