Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
IMO, the point of a forum is DISCUSSION. Sure of course you can post links to back up your POV, but I just do not understand coming on to post a link but not actually say anything??

The relevance of the link is neither here nor there.

What was the point of you posting it? Just to show that somebody somewhere has done a study on bacterial load in dogs? So what?

I wish when I'm backing up my scientific arguement at work I could just post a link instead of actually explaining myself!!!
That is exactly what I think too. People often post links on here, but the majority of the time, there is some other text with it! Not just a link... it makes me not want to open them, or give them a second glance...
sandymere
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I can just imagine me handing in a 3,000 word essay to my Uni lecturer comprising purely of links!
Is this an essay forum? No

I know, I can just picture someone's Thesis - "An Investigation into Raw Fed Dogs..." then you open it and it's just one page full of links
Or a Thesis forum? No

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Or vast tracts of cut and paste without any acknowledgements given as to from where they were copied...
When have I done that????? Never
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Do dog owners who feed raw chicken find that their dogs have more upset stomachs than you would expect in shop fed dogs?
No.
I`ve fed my dogs raw chicken for many years. We have not had any digestive upsets.
sandymere
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
IMO, the point of a forum is DISCUSSION. Sure of course you can post links to back up your POV, but I just do not understand coming on to post a link but not actually say anything??

The relevance of the link is neither here nor there.

What was the point of you posting it? Just to show that somebody somewhere has done a study on bacterial load in dogs? So what?

I wish when I'm backing up my scientific arguement at work I could just post a link instead of actually explaining myself!!!

Jet, I've handed a copy of a paper to a colleague in the past without saying a word, it made a point and their practice changed, at times a catalyst is needed.
You seem keen on promoting that you work in research yet are disparaging of research when it’s brought to bear on a subject?

Now it would be nice if you et al would try to post on subject as , I repeat,

Straw men are ever the last resort, those that are unable to attack the veracity of the content posted instead attack the poster or how its posted.” ( Sandymere 2012)

I’m embarrassed for you.
Regards S
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by sandymere View Post
Jet, I've handed a copy of a paper to a colleague in the past without saying a word, it made a point and their practice changed, at times a catalyst is needed.
You seem keen on promoting that you work in research yet are disparaging of research when it’s brought to bear on a subject?

Now it would be nice if you et al would try to post on subject as , I repeat,

Straw men are ever the last resort, those that are unable to attack the veracity of the content posted instead attack the poster or how its posted.” ( Sandymere 2012)

I’m embarrassed for you.
Regards S
Oh god some random on the internet is embarrassed for me, hang on and I'll go rip up my doctorate in shame!!!

P.S. Being able to critically read research articles, and put one paper in the broader context of the entire field is the deciding difference between people like me and people like you
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
This is in response to your post #42
When have I done that????? Never
about my comment in my post #40 where I said

Or vast tracts of cut and paste without any acknowledgements given as to from where they were copied...
Did I mention you? No.

Did I say you did that? No.

Did I even say it happened here on Dogsey? No.

But if the cap fits...

...oh, and that includes using such tracts but changing the wording to sound as if they are the poster's own words.

Popcorn anyone?
sandymere
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Oh god some random on the internet is embarrassed for me, hang on and I'll go rip up my doctorate in shame!!!

P.S. Being able to critically read research articles, and put one paper in the broader context of the entire field is the deciding difference between people like me and people like you
Then lets see your research!
From Wiki, "A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position"

Even more embarrassed for you , still can't go beyond personal attacks, and waving a doctorate .
Please try to post on topic, just for once.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
tip-toes quietly away.......

Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
When I started this thread it was just to get peoples' reaction as one of my dogs often suffers from upset tummies on a fairly regular basis. They are not raw fed at the moment but I was seriously thinking of changing to raw but then heard about the bacteria thing and I was simply interested in getting your views. Having said that I have just found a food that they both love and it agrees with them ('Orijen') so I daren't 'rock the boat' right at this moment with changing again as and my very sensitive one is now putting some weight on etc etc. which he wasn't putting weight on with the Burns.

I didn't expect this thread to turn 'nasty' ...... hope I'm not blamed for this
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Then lets see your research!
From Wiki, "A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position"

Even more embarrassed for you , still can't go beyond personal attacks, and waving a doctorate .
Please try to post on topic, just for once.
You're quoting a few lines from Wiki against someone who has a Doctorate and you're embarrassed for THEM.......really???
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >