Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Campylobacter in raw food

There was an article on the news last night about how Campylobacter was found in a huge percentage of chickens when tested and that in humans the cases of it has soared.
I don't feed raw but I know a few people who do. Do dog owners who feed raw chicken find that their dogs have more upset stomachs than you would expect in shop fed dogs? Campylobacter is killed off in meat when cooked properly.

I'm just intrigued
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 04:51 PM
My younger dog has had one tummy upset in 7 years which lasted 3 days.

My elder dog has never had one.

They are aged 7 and nearly 12 respectively.

The younger one has been fed raw all his life, the elder dog has been raw fed for 11 years

Dogs with good immune systems are designed to cope with all sorts of bacteria as they are scavengers.
chrishind
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-02-2012, 04:52 PM
i get my raw food from a very good supplier never had upset stomachs
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the very speedy replies. I was just interested if upset tummies were something you just had to accept with raw feeding ...... obviously not
It makes perfect sense also that your dogs will develop a very strong immune system ..... which of course is great.
One of my dogs (shop fed) eats disgusting things while out on walks and scavenges food left by foxes in the garden and its not unusual for him to have fairly frequent 'upsets'
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Same here, no upset tummies at all and mine get fed chicken alot because I get it free from the butchers.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I buy cheapo chicken wings from the supermarket with no problems. Equally they get wild caught pigeon, pheasant, rabbit etc with no problems.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 06:05 PM
My boy Ben often had an upset tummy on dry food. On raw he does sometimes too, but not as much
My girl has been on raw all the time I have had her and pretty much has not tummy issues in 3 years
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Do dog owners who feed raw chicken find that their dogs have more upset stomachs than you would expect in shop fed dogs? Campylobacter is killed off in meat when cooked properly.
Hi Jenny I understand the high level of acid in a dogs stomach protects it from bacteria in food .
This article explains it..
http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/ind...107&Itemid=113

Humans don't have this natural protection so it is of course important to observe hygiene precautions with regard to storing/preparation/feeding when raw feeding.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 06:40 PM
My rescue girl used to suffer terribly with upset tummies. With the vet, after a few tests showed up very little, we decided it
Must be the metacam that she was on for her arthritis, so we stopped it and tried different pain relief.

We couldn't find a pain relief method that helped Tango as much as metacam and she was hurting In the meantime we started raw feeding.... No upset tummy anymore, to the extent that in consultation with our vet we tentatively reintroduced the metacam. No upset tummy. She was on decent dry and wet food but the raw diet has made such a huuuuge difference. She eats a lot of raw chicken.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2012, 06:56 PM
No upset tums here either and they do eat a lot of chicken. They don't eat anything they come across on walks either.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »