Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Butchers what to ask for

My girls (except for poor cassie bless her!) had their first full raw meal last night and it was gone in seconds! So i am making small steps to feed more raw and less kibble. I will always feed a kibble too as its hard to take raw on hoilday or camping in the hight of summer for two large dogs.

I have in some beef mice, chicken & Tripe mince and chicken wings in my freezer while i figure out where to put the dogs freezer (the shed idea isnt working as the power has gone . . .) so i am going to be popping to visit our butcher to see what i can pick up from them. But what should i ask for? I have had dones and off cuts before so would this be ok with the wings and mince?

I was going to work it as morning kibble with wet food, fish,eggs or cooked meats and tea raw for the inuits. would this work ok?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Lamb flaps? Trotters? Pigs head? Ox liver?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I've found it hard getting anything from butchers, they just seem to have ready cut meat delivered.

I've found that Sainsburys do a packet of frozen chicken bits (legs, wings and portions) that works well for us, not many meals in a bag though.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I've found it hard getting anything from butchers, they just seem to have ready cut meat delivered.

I've found that Sainsburys do a packet of frozen chicken bits (legs, wings and portions) that works well for us, not many meals in a bag though.
There is a butcher down the road from us called Parkingsons, they get meat the old fashioned way. We have got off cuts and bones from there before so might be worth trying them. Or when i call them i can get extra for you guys as well if you want x
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Depends on your butcher, traditional ones should do their own butchering, but more and more buy meat in pre-packed.

Lungs are usually cheap, just don't try and cook it as it will make a right mess in the oven, heart, testicles if you can get them, tails are good, I can sometimes get lamb tails which make a great snack, as do thrapple, I give those frozen as a chew.
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Just feed your dogs only raw- don't cook any of it- and don't worry about the kibble. When you travel and can't mess with raw, get a bag of grain free kibble, highest amount of meat you can get. They will think you are giving them a dish of treats. This is what I do and haven't had problems with the occasional kibble. Just remember they will need more water, you can add a cup of water to the kibble dish.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
i want to try and ask for stuff from the butchers, but its harder because having small dogs im limited to what i can feed as a meal, without having to hack stuff up

why dont you just ask for any leftovers? things they cant sell? and see what you get?
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I get a load of Rangers stuff from Parkinsons. I just go in and get a bag of dog bits They give me a carrier bag with basically an assortment of everything in it. And I go to the butchers in Hadley for their free dog bones
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 04:11 PM
my local butchers were rubbish but my dad tried elsewhere and has found a great bucthers and he gets a dozen beef bones for £2

and Millie tends to get beef bones now instead of chicken wings, occassionally get marro bones but no trotters tried once it was a tad on the large size for her and she did not know what to do with it.
Wee Rascal
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm a recent convert to raw as my GSD was a martyr to colitis all the time. I went around the local butchers and most proved unhelpful. One however, was very interested in "helping"...so he now does me a big bag of "pet mix" which is made up beef, offal and poultry (with bone). He roughly minces it and packs it all in a bag for me to portion off. It lasts me 2 weeks and costs £10 to £12. Jake's doing really well on it. I think it really depends on how friendly/helpful the butcher is individually...as proved by the dismissive attitude of the others.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >