Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Panacur is it any good for gardia?

little fella 16 week sbt got yellow mucus pooh and want to try panacur is it any good (been to vets and she suggested worming (milbemax) but prob still persists) is it worth a try? thinking it may be gardia?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 05:44 PM
If it is giardia you need to panacur him for about 5 days I think you can check it on line. Then again fpr 5 days or so after a week or so
I forget the actual days ect.

Chat to your vet and explain and they will tell you.

It worked well for us when we had 2 lab pups with it---all our dogs had to be done!

rune
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Thankyou i was just going to buy it online to try it says a 3 day course but i will do it again a week later too, it ends up expensive at the vet as went on fri and she just said worm him , i got pro kolin+ and wormer for £55 and he's still the same, i'd rather try panacur myself then be charged £50 for the vet to tell me to try it if you see what i mean x x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I think you are OK with horse panacur as well---that is what we were given by our vet as we had so many to do. They said it was pretty safe to use and very difficult to overdose on.

Not that I am suggesting you should!

rune
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:04 PM
only got the one luckily, lol wasn't going to try with the overdose just yet x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Yes, only Panacur or Metronidazole will get rid of giardia, and you need a 3-day course of Panacur (or the equivalent which is Granofen), and then you will have to do it again in 2 week's time to get him completely clear of it. I've used it on two of my dogs who actually had this condition,nothing quite like it is there, so you are right to be questioning the correct medication to get rid.

Good luck!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks to you both going to try it and go back to the vet if no change poor little fella but he is so well within himself, he has had this bad tummy since going to a very strict puppy class and came out of there and had his first case of poops since i had him, so i thought it was stress related colitis as he is a nervy dog but then the poops turned yellow, pro-kolin had hardened them up a bit and the wormer was administered on friday so that would've expelled any worms but this morning after going back onto his food (orijen) he had a runny brown poop again so back to square 1 gotta wait fot panacur to arrive now to try that
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Awww poor little fella. If you only wormed last Friday, the you're going to have to check with the vet when it's safe to use the Panacur, I know I was told 2 weeks inbetween with the Panacur, but when I once wormed with Drontil plus and then wanted to use a Panacur one, the vet told me I had to wait a whole month, so please make sure you check first with your vet. Good luck with him, hope he's doing a lot better now.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
little fella 16 week sbt got yellow mucus pooh and want to try panacur is it any good (been to vets and she suggested worming (milbemax) but prob still persists) is it worth a try? thinking it may be gardia?
I have treated a cat & a puppy with Giarda succefully with Panacur. You must use the correct amount for the days recomended. They hate the taste so mix it with some smelly & tasty food. It's cheaper from - www.hyperdrug.com & liquid is cheaper than paste.

Good Luck.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I had a cat with it, after many expensive vets visits decided to give it a try and it worked a treat!
I also treated the other animals in the house using the liquid, the cats hated it but the dog loved it, strange dog that she is!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >