Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Part of why I want to try somewhere else though, is that I find DAF often don't have things that I am after... and the choice is gradually getting smaller. The Raw To Go site say they do rabbit, but DAF don't do it now.

Yeah, I did think the delivery was. I haven't worked out what I would get and what the total cost would be with delivery... I always spend over £50 from DAF so I don't pay delivery

I'm not a big fan of price choice. The look of the beef chunks puts me off, although Jake loved them. The heart is ok, but Jake refused to eat the liver and he loves liver... so that was odd for him.

Yeah, that is something I have found with DAF... I have never been able to get everything I wanted to order...

Jake refused to eat the lamb bones, ribs and trotters... the lamb was especially surprising for him but he wouldn't even touch it... Paddy enjoyed it though So, yep I am on the look out for another supplier too
see at the minute mine are on a mixture of natural instinct, prize choice free flow beef and tripe, chicken wings and tinned fish.
im looking at the dog food company as a choice next
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
see at the minute mine are on a mixture of natural instinct, prize choice free flow beef and tripe, chicken wings and tinned fish.
im looking at the dog food company as a choice next
I think the dog food company look great, but they don't deliver up here
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I think the dog food company look great, but they don't deliver up here
oh rubbish
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-02-2012, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=lozzibear;2464157]Part of why I want to try somewhere else though, is that I find DAF often don't have things that I am after... and the choice is gradually getting smaller. The Raw To Go site say they do rabbit, but DAF don't do it now.

I think you will find with most suppliers that they will run out of rabbit at some point depending on how it is sourced. Most will be wild rabbit because at 70 - 75p per LB or a few quid a whole rabbit it is not cost effective to use farmed rabbit alone at these prices. If you look at Woldsway Foods they supply both but you pay for what you get.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW View Post
I think you will find with most suppliers that they will run out of rabbit at some point depending on how it is sourced. Most will be wild rabbit because at 70 - 75p per LB or a few quid a whole rabbit it is not cost effective to use farmed rabbit alone at these prices. If you look at Woldsway Foods they supply both but you pay for what you get.
Yes, but it is not rabbit that is out of stock. I emailed them a while back, and they told me that they now longer sell it at all. When I emailed last week, to put an order in they told me they no longer do pheasant either. Things like that are why I like to use a supplier, so I can get a wee bit of a better variety. But DAF are slowly no longer providing that for me.

The things they haven't had in stock are chicken wings, chicken necks, duck necks, pheasant (when they did it) and venison bones. I understand they won't ALWAYS have everything in, especially things that are seasonal, but every time I have placed an order (or tried since I was going to order rabbit but decided against ordering anything when they said they no longer do it) there has always been at least one thing that they do not have. Which can be a pain when you don't place an order on a regular basis.

I have ordered from another supplier, and they have always had everything I have asked for. I don't use them often though because they have a limited choice... hence, why I then started using DAF.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm 99.9% sure that Raw to Go are a DAF supplier and therefore if DAF are out, RTG probably will be too
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Thats exactly my point about the rabbit that they can't get enough to supply due to sourcing it and as for pheasant it is only allowed to be shot from Oct 1st - Feb 1st in England, Scotland and Wales [Jan 31st NI] so like you say it is seasonal.
What you will find is a lot of the smaller suppliers [raw2go etc] don't actually process the meat themselves but just buy it in off a main supplier hence the limited stock. I think since raw feeding has become a lot more popular with dog owners in some cases its a matter of supply not meeting demand plus DEFRA regulations have tightened up.
I had a massive problem when I lived on the Isle of Wight getting any raw food delivered and the only thing available was Prize Choice blocks etc at Jolleyes so in the end I decided to set up a Raw Dog food home delivery business alongside what I was doing and I would pick up my stock from the mainland and home deliver. It was a great way of ensuring I got what I wanted for my dogs and the profit would cover the travel expenses and some of my own dogs food. This would not work now though due to the price increases of the food, ferry and fuel as my friend took over when we moved but in the end it was just not viable.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW View Post
Thats exactly my point about the rabbit that they can't get enough to supply due to sourcing it and as for pheasant it is only allowed to be shot from Oct 1st - Feb 1st in England, Scotland and Wales [Jan 31st NI] so like you say it is seasonal.

What you will find is a lot of the smaller suppliers don't actually process the meat etc themselves but just buy it in off a main supplier hence the limited stock. I think since raw feeding has become a lot more popular with dog owners in some cases its a matter of supply not meeting demand plus DEFRA regulations have tightened up.
I had a massive problem when I lived on the Isle of Wight getting any raw food delivered and the only thing available was Prize Choice blocks etc at Jolleyes so in the end I decided to set up a Raw Dog food home delivery business alongside what I was doing and I would pick up my stock from the mainland and home deliver. It was a great way of ensuring I got what I wanted for my dogs and the profit would cover the travel expenses and some of my own dogs food. This would not work now though due to the price increases of the food, ferry and fuel as my friend took over when we moved but in the end it was just not viable.
But for neither the rabbit or the pheasant did they say it is just 'out of stock' they said they have stopped doing it completely... I am not expecting them to have them in ALL the time, but they now no longer have them AT ALL so I want to find a supplier where I can at least get them some of the time.

I found a supplier up here ages ago, but I can't for the life of my find them through google now... The only thing I can remember is that they had rottweilers
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm 99.9% sure that Raw to Go are a DAF supplier and therefore if DAF are out, RTG probably will be too
I just really want a supplier where I can get a good variety, where I can sometimes get rabbit and pheasant preferably... Think I might be best calling around and trying to find local shoots
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-02-2012, 10:08 PM
But for neither the rabbit or the pheasant did they say it is just 'out of stock' they said they have stopped doing it completely... I am not expecting them to have them in ALL the time, but they now no longer have them AT ALL so I want to find a supplier where I can at least get them some of the time.

I found a supplier up here ages ago, but I can't for the life of my find them through google now... The only thing I can remember is that they had rottweilers
You are MISSING what I'm saying. They no longer have it because they can't get it as demand has got bigger than supply.
Anyway good luck in finding a supplier.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »