Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I tend to stock up when they're on offer (nearly halfprice), though I'm a bit disappointed as they haven't had any decent reductions on the bits I want recently I've ended up just ordering a box of cows ears from Ebay because I found some at a similar price to what I paid on Zooplus last time I ordered.
Here's my last two orders from Zooplus for an idea of what I bought.

--

1 Beef Hooves- 10 pieces -- L £2.89 £2.89
1 Natural Dried Cow's Ear Dog Chews- 100 pieces -- L £29.99 £29.99
1 Pizzle Pieces 12 cm- 25 pieces -- L £12.45 £12.45
1 Jerky Chews- 500 g -- L £6.99 £6.99
1 Dibo Premium Beef Gullet- Economy Pack: 3 x 250 g -- L £6.69 £6.69
1 Rocco Green Beef Tripe- 500 g -- L £4.99 £4.99

--

1 Natural Dried Cow's Ear Dog Chews- 100 pieces -- L £29.99 £29.99
1 Dibo Premium Beef Gullet- Economy Pack: 3 x 250 g -- L £6.45 £6.45
1 Oxtail Whole- Economy Pack: 3 Pieces -- L £5.69 £5.69
2 Pizzle Pieces 12 cm- 25 pieces -- L £9.99 £19.98

--

The first lasted about 6 months and the second about 4 - hopefully they'll last a bit longer now I've moved out and won't have my brother's girlfriend sneaking them treats when they've already had their day's allowance At least they were natural treats, I left them downstairs because I figured I'd rather her feed them the natural treats than the human leftovers or cheap dog treats she was buying.
Thanks for that, ive just recieved an order. I got pizzle, jerky chews and some duck necks! They both had some duck neck today and loved it The jerky chews are bigger than i thought they would be.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Pigs ears are good and natural too Millie loves them their 80p-£1.20 in PAH and cheaper in some other pet stores they keep her busy at least 30 minutes! She chews the whole thing apart in layers.

I also give her rawhide, tripe sticks (two when grooming as she isnt too keen on being groomed)) and a local butchers gives us 5 beef bones for £2

The beef bones are probably the best thing if im going to leave her on her own for more then 2 hours she gets a beef bone or rawhide stick.

Ive tried paddywhack but wasnt overly impressed when Millie caughed a piece up. those Jerky sausage things makes her vommit
I find the paddywack gets really sharp so mine don't have it any more either.

Originally Posted by Oliver21508 View Post
I highly recommend Stagbars. I bought one for my cocker spaniel for Christmas. He had brown molar teeth, with plaque caked on. He's had his stagbar for an hour every other day since Christmas and his teeth are white. Its the best chew I have found for teeth cleaning and will certainly continue using it. Its also the longest lasting chew I have found as he's only chewed about an inch off it since christmas.

http://www.puredog.co.uk/
They are brill but my GSD goes through them way too quick!

Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
I'm lucky that Coco lets me brush his teeth! I use liver flavoured dog toothpaste with a small headed toothbrush, and also use Logic gel which seems to be working pretty well.

Actually with the Logic gel you don't have to brush it on, it still works if you rub it on their teeth, or apparently even if they lick it off your finger. Coco seems to love the taste of it which is good.

I tried Dentastix with my previous dog as he'd never let me get anywhere near him with a toothbrush (and hadn't tried Logic at that stage) but I'm not sure they did a lot of good. I did use Aquadent (can get from vets / online) which you put in their water, to help with bad breath. Seemed to help
Thanks for the info, i think i will get him some logic. There was a yorkie in the vets who hardly had any teeth and i don't want him to end up like that. Although at least he wouldn't be able to injue the postman then!

Originally Posted by Chocolatechien View Post
Have you tried plaque off? I looked at the reviews on amazon and on their website and they look positive. ��
He's got a similar thing called seaweed and parsley from csj
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by KKH View Post
Hi, I am a Newbie, but we've been giving our dogs dentastix [or supermarket alternatives] for years......and I don't think they do much good to be honest.

I know it's a case of 'they could be worse if we hadn't given them' - but we'll never know.

My sister bought a boy from the same litter as our two girls [they were 10 last October] and his teeth are white and lovely - both our girls have a build up of plaque.

I've tried brushing them - they REALLY don't like that! We give dog biscuits and a good quality mixer - and nothing seems to help.

My sister feeds Jim [the brother] all sorts of the wrong type of food....bits from their plates etc, and we've never done this - it's just like humans I suppose....some are lucky and have good teeth, and some aren't so lucky!! I hasten to add that he does have dog biscuits and dental sticks daily as well.

Eddie had emergency surgery 2-3 years ago for Closed Pyometra, so we had Bob spayed soon after. They cleaned her teeth at the same time, and actually removed a 'wobbly' one from the back. But she still has plaque build-up already......they never miss a day without a dental stick, and I still 'try' and clean them. [Eddie was far too poorly for them to worry about teeth at the time, so hers weren't cleaned.]

Our vets is having a 10% off all things dental [including surgery] in September, so I've started to save up already each week and we'll have them cleaned then.

I'll be interested to read if anyone has a really good way of dealing with this problem though.

KKH.

PS. What are 'Stag Sticks' please? [I don't know if I remembered the last bit of the name right - sorry if I didn't!!]
I was recommended Equimins Seaweed 4 horses £8.25 4 2kg by a Whippet Breeder, have just started mine on it. 1/2 tsp per day in food 4 my 17kg dog. She said it takes a while if there is a build up a of plaque. Too early 4 me to say if it will help!!! I'm also going to try Stag Horns.

Yvonne.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
good old raw chicken wing is a good chew to clean teeth especially for a little dog like a yorkie, they have to chew a fair bit
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3