Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Treats/chews for teeth cleaning

Hi, can anyone recommend any treats or chews that are good for helping clean teeth. Rex is 9 (yorkie x) and hes starting to get bad teeth so was thinking about giving him dentastix? wanted to see if there is anything better than them though. Does anyone find dentastix actually help?
He has stagbars which do really help but are quite pricey.
Thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Raw chicken wings
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Don't think the dental chewy things are good at removing plaque-they just stop it building up I think.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Check out the natural chews on Zooplus, far better than the rubbish like Dentastix.
KKH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi, I am a Newbie, but we've been giving our dogs dentastix [or supermarket alternatives] for years......and I don't think they do much good to be honest.

I know it's a case of 'they could be worse if we hadn't given them' - but we'll never know.

My sister bought a boy from the same litter as our two girls [they were 10 last October] and his teeth are white and lovely - both our girls have a build up of plaque.

I've tried brushing them - they REALLY don't like that! We give dog biscuits and a good quality mixer - and nothing seems to help.

My sister feeds Jim [the brother] all sorts of the wrong type of food....bits from their plates etc, and we've never done this - it's just like humans I suppose....some are lucky and have good teeth, and some aren't so lucky!! I hasten to add that he does have dog biscuits and dental sticks daily as well.

Eddie had emergency surgery 2-3 years ago for Closed Pyometra, so we had Bob spayed soon after. They cleaned her teeth at the same time, and actually removed a 'wobbly' one from the back. But she still has plaque build-up already......they never miss a day without a dental stick, and I still 'try' and clean them. [Eddie was far too poorly for them to worry about teeth at the time, so hers weren't cleaned.]

Our vets is having a 10% off all things dental [including surgery] in September, so I've started to save up already each week and we'll have them cleaned then.

I'll be interested to read if anyone has a really good way of dealing with this problem though.

KKH.

PS. What are 'Stag Sticks' please? [I don't know if I remembered the last bit of the name right - sorry if I didn't!!]
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Parker is 10 now and has very good clean teeth with just a tiny bit of tarter on the canines. I have had him since he was 2 and always brushed his teeth regularly as he has a sensitive tummy and bones give him diorrhea.

Izzy is 9 and we got her last August. Her teeth were dreadful but she had them cleaned under anaesthetic and they gleam as good as new now!

Izzy is very poor at personal hygiene (hates being brushed) but she tolerates teeth cleaning ok.

This is how I do it-I give a small piece of treat then brush a few teeth then another small piece of treat then brush a few more.

Now I brush half their teeth in one go and they are fine. I do think teeth cleaning keeps them looking good if you are unable to give bones.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi, I buy my lot the fish skin chews from Fish4dogs. I've just placed my latest order online as I noticed they've got 10% off all orders this weekend - www.fish4dogs.com. I've been feeding them for years now and they appear to keep the crap off the teeth, even the vet noticed how clean they were recently! Perhaps they might help? And amazingly the dogs dont have fishy breath!!
KKH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Tiggers mum,

I've been over to the Fish4dogs site and can't make my mind up which products are the ones you mentioned.

Is the one you mentioned the Sea Jerky?

I did write in the search box 'fresh skin chews', but it didn't come up with anything.

Thanks,

KKH x.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I give Tilly a raw carrot to gnaw on, they also help aid digestion.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Check out the natural chews on Zooplus, far better than the rubbish like Dentastix.
Can you recommend any in particular? They have had the pizzle but its quite expensive for how much you get.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >