Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2011, 07:14 PM

End of ears bleeding

Ok, just abit of advise wanted really, Dutch has started stepping on his ears again and making them bleed when we go out for a walk. They dont seem to bother him but today they were bleeding quite badly.
Its only the one ear that he seems to step on, i managed to get a photo after I cleaned it up, its not great because he wouldnt sit still

It doesnt look too bad here but the amount of blood I thought he had ripped right through!

Ive just been cleaning it with warm water, anything I can clean it with thats better?

I've tried a snood to stop him walking on his ears but he hates it. Tried to tie them back too but they just fall back out. I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Poor baby
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-02-2011, 09:33 PM
my lurcher has an ear that gets quite bloody and crusty due to fighting (play) with my springer, took her to the vets and was advised not to clean it at all but leave it alone and it will heal.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
my lurcher has an ear that gets quite bloody and crusty due to fighting (play) with my springer, took her to the vets and was advised not to clean it at all but leave it alone and it will heal.
I feel that a bassett would need ear wounds such as these cleaned regularly as their ears are dragging along the ground as they walk and sniff. A lurchers ears, not so much so.

Have you tried introducing the snood gradually, using treats etc to begin with to distract him whilst you build up the amount of time it's on? He needs to build up the association of wearing the snood = good things and learn not to see it as a negative.

If other owners have further tips, I'd be v interested, we've had a few bassetts through the rescue here.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the replies,
I keep it clean it because otherwise it would get quite dirty as his ears get dragged through allsorts!
Will try again with the snood, I did try and do it gradually with treats but maybe I rushed it a little, he just hated it, it was fine to begin with but after a few minutes he just scratched and kept trying to shake it off.

Would be interesting to see if many Basset owners have this problem, the people I have spoken to have never mentioned it before.

Thanks again x
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2011, 09:17 AM
You can use warm salt water. Only a mild dilution. 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 pint of water. I use boiling and allow it to cool.

Don't overbath it though or you will prevent it from healing.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Sorry about Dutch's ears. I can't offer any advice unfortunately as never had a bassett but do hope you manage with the snoop which is the only thing I can think off that will work. Good luck.