View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:48 PM
If you google the Company of animals they normally have them in...sorry can't remember what they are called, but they are a training lead (is it a MIki one) anyway, they can be adjusted to different lengths etc and it's done because the lead has 2 clips...one on each end, then hoops down the lead so you can put the clip on the hook thing to make the lead shorter or longer...if you see what I mean. I use a lead like it all the time and they are brill. I have used one with a gentle leader and it works really well, it actually gives you more control.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
sorry forgot to add...the lab owner will deal with his pup...you have your boy to deal with,poor mite was attacked himself.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Also forgot to say, ask your vet if they know of any behaviourists....rather than recommending one and explain why.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks very much ramble

Will check out local pet shops Mon and google it

I know Ben has his probs but cant help but worry about the pup

Feel like the parent of a child who is a bully at school
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:18 AM
hello

as the owner of a little terror myself I have been and can appreciate the position you are in now.

i would suggest a double ended lead - I got a really good one with various places to clip lead - online - if you google double ended leather lead you should get a few come up - cant remember which site i bought mine on.

Bruno never dealt well with halti as could get it off, have you tried dogmatic or canny collars?

I just avoid now as its easier than trying to dealwith bruno's actions - he would growl and bark at all dogs and it really doesnt matter what age they are - although he has been licked all over by our friends pup and not bothered - but if he meets the same size age in the park he wouldnt let it near him without trying to bite it.

the only thing you can do is move on from it and try to find a better way to control ben when out - you cant turn the clock back and I am sure the puppy will get over it - it doesnt sounds as if it was too extreme,and with no blood shed etc the puppy will hopefully just remember getting a "very strong telling off"

hugs to you and Oh - and to ben !!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
We attended classes when he was a pup but after the attack on him were advised not to come back as he was a bit aggressive/hyper with other dogs
Am I alone in being horrified by this? The trainers must have been (rhymes with trap) if they couldn`t help instil confidence into a small dog after a bad experience. If they had helped at the time, the problem wouldn`t have grown to this extent. Try to find a proper trainer who will help with this. And good luck.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hello

as the owner of a little terror myself I have been and can appreciate the position you are in now.

i would suggest a double ended lead - I got a really good one with various places to clip lead - online - if you google double ended leather lead you should get a few come up - cant remember which site i bought mine on.

Bruno never dealt well with halti as could get it off, have you tried dogmatic or canny collars?

I just avoid now as its easier than trying to dealwith bruno's actions - he would growl and bark at all dogs and it really doesnt matter what age they are - although he has been licked all over by our friends pup and not bothered - but if he meets the same size age in the park he wouldnt let it near him without trying to bite it.

the only thing you can do is move on from it and try to find a better way to control ben when out - you cant turn the clock back and I am sure the puppy will get over it - it doesnt sounds as if it was too extreme,and with no blood shed etc the puppy will hopefully just remember getting a "very strong telling off"

hugs to you and Oh - and to ben !!
Thanks, I will google the lead although have found a nylon one and looked in PAH as we had a small double ended lead until it was chewed through!! Hant tried canny collar or dogmatic will go and have a look and see. Its such a nightmare and thanks for sharing the fact that I am not alone he growls at bigger dogs and occasionally lunges but if they are a lot bigger he is a big coward, but a bully to smaller dogs, I remember him growling at a tiny NI/ute type bitch pup that could only have been about 12 weeks and was soooo sweet thankfully he was on lead and the owners were great but it could have been so different

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Am I alone in being horrified by this? The trainers must have been (rhymes with trap) if they couldn`t help instil confidence into a small dog after a bad experience. If they had helped at the time, the problem wouldn`t have grown to this extent. Try to find a proper trainer who will help with this. And good luck.
No Claire I agree totally and to be honest was really annoyed/shocked at the time, another dog was also asked politely to spend more time "practising at home" before coming back There are only a few trainers in the area and I have looked into the one to one trainers as realise I need trained too then I will hopfully be able to manage the situation better. Hoping to get something sorted soon

Thans to everyone for your replies and your pms will look into everything that has been suggested.

Thnaks for your support
x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear what happened but do understand as my shady lunges at other dogs after being attacked a few times when she was younger.
I used to use a halti but she could escape it and get it off all to easily so I bought a Dogmatic headcollar. She has never managed to get this off but for safetys sake I clip a second lead to her collar and walk her on two leads. its simple but secure.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
No need for thanks, I think it is fantastic that you are looking to sort this problem out and an utter digrace that your 'trainers' didn't stand by you and help when you and your boy needed it the most.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No your not alone, its smacks of {we will take your money when its easy money but when the going gets sticky your on your own}
sadly its so often the case with so called dog trainers, right at the point when they are most needed they dont want to know,
I often find to though{ many owners are in denial about there dogs problems and would rather cover bad behaviour with excuses so its a 50/50 thing, some just wont take on board there dogs a bass} you cant help people who dont want help
Lucky lynne is not like that she would go to the ends of the earth to sort her problem out, im sure she will too xx
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >