Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:21 AM

Grouse Counting

We're just about to start this spring's grouse counts. This is to determine how many grouse we have in the various plots. We use pointers, setters and gwp's. During February, we have to get the working dogs fit as it is hard work for them. We can be out from 1 hour up to 4 or 5 hours, although the average is 3 hours. The dogs are running hard throughout and it is hard terrain for them.

We are given a section of the moor to do which we mentally divide up into transects. We have to cover the whole block and count all the grouse. Realistically, you are going to miss some. We have the brood counts from last summer so we will find out how they have fared over the winter. We set off walking, with the dog quartering in front. When they go on point, we walk across to them - it could be as much as 200 yards, or even 300 yards if I'm working Lucky!lol. They should stay on point until we get to them. Sometimes just us being there will flush the birds but more often than not, if the weather conditions are right, we tell the dog to get in and they will flush the birds. We count the number of birds, sexing them if possible, right down the grid reference number and mark them on a map. The dog will sometimes carry on hunting in that area and we let them, just to make sure there aren't any others hiding. We then go back to our imaginary transect and carry on hunting. When we get to the end of the block, we turn round and go back again, at a reasonable distance from the first transect.

The counts will take 3 of us about a month, sometimes working weekends.

We then do the brood counts in July which will determine how the breeding season has gone which will then tell us if they can be shot.

Watching a pointing dog work is fantastic. I never tire of them going on point, even though I've seen it hundreds of times. Just you and the dog, working out on the moor, sometimes as the sun is rising. During the brood counts, if we have hot weather, like we did last year, we have to be out there early. At times, we've been out on the hill at 4am. Amazing!

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for that insight Helen. It is fascinating and wonderful to see a dog doing what it has been bred to do for generations.

I have never seen a pointer at work, so am looking forward to getting up on the moors with you sometime this summer
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Great stuff Helen, thanks for that. You must get a short video for us to see.
Dawn.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow I never knew about grouse counting. Mind you I dont know anyone with pointers, but sounds like a lovely day out and the dogs doing their job. Just out of curiousity, do you have to teach the pointers to point or is it an instinct?

I know nothing about them although I would love to have a HPR breed one day and work it
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds like fun, what better place to be on an early summer morning

Mind you... it's a devil if ya lose count half way up the hill eh *joking by the way*
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Really interesting post - I love hearing about working dogs
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Just out of curiousity, do you have to teach the pointers to point or is it an instinct?
It's totally instinct. We picked Milly, pointer, up at 8 weeks old and the following week, she was pointing the chickens. Dotty, setter, was pointing a wing at 8 weeks old. It is different for the hpr's though as they don't have such a strong pointing instinct as the pointers and setters. You do see flash points from them when they are growing up though. Again, it is instinct.

although I would love to have a HPR breed one day and work it
I have fallen hook, line and sinker for the gwp. They are just such clowns but fantastic to work. We've found the gwp's a lot easier to live with than the pointers and setter.

Which breed/s do you like?

How true Ian lolol

Helen
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I have a very soft spot for both Large and Small Munsterlander's and Visla's.

After having the flatcoat and seeing how mad they are I dont know if I'll ever have a setter ! Casper is mad but that energy transfers to his work and you can see the setter ancestory in the breed when he works. He air scents like a setter does (well so I'm lead to believe) but his nose hasn't missed a bird yet, we've been out before and two labs had both missed a pheasant, both guns convinced there was one down, but the lab owners were convinced otherwise, I let the flattie go on a search and he promptly brought the pheasant back from where both labs had searched. I was very proud of my boy
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't think I could have a setter if I didn't have grouse work. They are just sooo bonkers lol, but not as bonkers as pointers lol.

Fantastic. It's great when an "uncommon" breed eyewipes a lab lololol.

Helen
Nuash GSPs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi Helen
I am green with envy so are my GSPs I work mine through out the season but I have a few health problems and don't think I could walk the moors but my dogs would love it. My new puppy Boo who is now 8 months old was pointing a wing at 8 weeks but has just had his first solid point on a brace of English partridge(there is a photo in the photo section) and you are right you never get tired of watching them.
Nicky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >