makes us blokes feel like pieces of meat

I prefer my catches live LMAO!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Here bloody here.
If anyone would like to see LIVING proof of a dog turns around by these types of training; I invite you to my house. To see an English Springer that had been brought up with the clicker training, treats for everything he did, when on lead was never tugged or anything when pulling-brought up with the stop dead etc, nearly got us evicted due to the barking and that was tried sorted with ignoring/positive reinforcement when he was quiet/teaching him to bark on que etc.
If what you say was done is absolutely correct, I'd say the people may not have understood how to give consequences or how to train correctly in the first place.

A good "someone who does these types of training" will understand how to give consequences. It may be that for some reason this dog wasn't given any, or perhaps there was some other reason for his behaviour (stressed out?not given enough to do? over stimulated?intolerant to certain foods causing hyper behaviour? etc. ).

I've stopped my dog barking literally in a few minutes for one problem (around working trials jumps) and in a couple of days for a cat problem. It can be done. But it has to be understood how to do it - like most things :smt001

And Ralph had four trainers, well known trainers who I shan't name,
I'd be interested to know who they were - I agree it's best to not name folk,not fair, but would you mind PMing me?
at the brink of not quite being sure of where to go [all used the click/treat crap].
Ar, tis not crap, tis not
We got a man in, experienced in gundogs also..and he's different.
I hear your frustration and I will say that any good method will be effective, not only humane.
I am not sure about gundog trainers - some are just fantastic, I've learnt a lot from a couple. But some can be hard.
I am glad your dog is doing well and am not trying to pick onyour post, I'm actually way behind!

Wys
x
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
That implies that those who use other methods don't...

He uses positive punishment as he uses ecollars, though . I'd rather train dogs using rewards contingent on behaviour (not bribery - why do detractors of a method not take the trouble to understand it...

That could be agreed with, depends exactly what he means...
The only E collar episode I can remember of CM's was a farm dog that attacked any vehicles tyres and who had hurt himself in the past and the owner was worried he was going to kill himself but couldnt see him to control him properly - it seemed to work for that particularly dog. If one of my kids stepped out into the road i might think about giving them a smack on the hand to underline the seriousness of what they did and 'shock' them into realising how dangerous it was. The shock would be that i dont smack my kids and they would hopefully associate the gravity of what they did because it got this exceptional response in exceptional circumstances.
I apologise if i have missed other episodes where he has unnecessarily used e-collars but i remmeber watching that episode on the edge of my seat thinking the dog was gonna dissapear under 10 foot of combine tyre - not that it was being tortured by a low level shock from a collar.
It was enough to grab the dogs attention over the noise of industrial machinery and if it stopped it hurting itself then good.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I prefer my catches live LMAO!
dear god - i guess youre still talking about marmite
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well I have just watched an episode, with a standard smooth Dacshie.........it will attack one of its owners , through being possessive over the other.
Victoria Stilwell has often worked on these sort of cases in Its Me or The Dog (no force required)
CM has just made the girl sit next to the dog (who is sitting on the others knee)...he taked the girls had , and forces her to stroke the dog............
He what? How absolutely stupid, whatever else one thinks, that is just foolish .
you could see the body language from miles off, the dog was not happy, he turned away from the hand....CM kept the contact up, the next min, the dog turns and attacks
I take it the dog went for CM and not the child? He was lucky, and so was the child.
CM picks it up ,upends it in a body role on the floo,r and uses his "bite" technique to keep it there.....the dog looks "terrified"....and guess what, CM , has puncture wounds all over his hands.
So not only did he make a mountain out of a molehill, but he no doubt scared the little girl and put a bite history on the dog. Great work - NOT
The result , 3/4 weeks later when the dog was returned to owner, the weaker owner, still could not get the dog to get off the bed.
That is often the way.
A dog will sometimes accept an owner using force, but will still behave inappropriately with the weaker owner. The answer is not to use force - as Ms Stilwell knows

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
ok group hug

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
I bought a clicker training book for the first time last week to see what it was all about :smt102

In the introduction it says that trainers are developing ways to use (them) .. in hunting, field trials and tracking.

I wonder if all the terriermen I see at shows have clickers in their pockets. Must try to find out somehow, if only I knew who to ask ....
Hiya, I think it refers to birdy type hunting
Traditionally a very - well - traditional sport, clicker methods are being used by some now. There's acouple of books out, a UK one and a US one. That's all I know though.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
The only E collar episode I can remember of CM's was a farm dog
No not CM, Martin Deeley!
Must be my writing, sorry.

Wys
x

ps CM uses them too, a dog bit his owner on one occasion as he redirected his aggression when he was given the "correction".
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
The only E collar episode I can remember of CM's was a farm dog that attacked any vehicles tyres and who had hurt himself in the past and the owner was worried he was going to kill himself but couldnt see him to control him properly - it seemed to work for that particularly dog. If one of my kids stepped out into the road i might think about giving them a smack on the hand to underline the seriousness of what they did and 'shock' them into realising how dangerous it was. The shock would be that i dont smack my kids and they would hopefully associate the gravity of what they did because it got this exceptional response in exceptional circumstances.
I apologise if i have missed other episodes where he has unnecessarily used e-collars but i remmeber watching that episode on the edge of my seat thinking the dog was gonna dissapear under 10 foot of combine tyre - not that it was being tortured by a low level shock from a collar.
It was enough to grab the dogs attention over the noise of industrial machinery and if it stopped it hurting itself then good.
Its the only instance im aware of.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Victoria Stilwell has often worked on these sort of cases in Its Me or The Dog (no force required)
He what? How absolutely stupid, whatever else one thinks, that is just foolish .

I take it the dog went for CM and not the child? He was lucky, and so was the child.

So not only did he make a mountain out of a molehill, but he no doubt scared the little girl and put a bite history on the dog. Great work - NOT

That is often the way.
A dog will sometimes accept an owner using force, but will still behave inappropriately with the weaker owner. The answer is not to use force - as Ms Stilwell knows

Wys
x
To be fair this is what happened in "Jackbox" 's opinion, not that of everyone who has seen it.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thanks for the video Michflynn, he's a cracking little pup. I do appreciate clicker training is ok for some people, but its shoved into peoples faces as the be all and end all too much for my liking.
I think it's a great training method, but people shouldn't feel it's the only way by any means.
With pet dogs I also tend to recommend good old Lure and Reward a la Dr Ian Dunbar.
Now, he was a no nonsense trainer, but very positive, loved him

Wys
x
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 70 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 > Last »