Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trish48
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Granulated Charcoal

Hello
Lottie is poorly again, she has problems with her tummy, Squeaky noises, obviously in pain, which seems to be spadmodic when she is going through the problem and sometimes she seems to get the shakes with it.
Most of the time she doesnt have any diahorrea or sickness, but just the symptons i have put down and of course she wont eat when all this is happening.
I have been to the vet and even tried a different one who all say she is an healthy dog and thats it, but why is this happening so much every few weeks.
I have looked on the net and come across granulated charcoal to give dogs with tummy problems.
Has any one else used it and should i give it a try.
This morning she couldnt wait to get in the garden to eat as much grass as she could find, then went on to have the runs.
The vet doesnt seem to be understanding what she goes through.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Has she always been like this, ie its a regular recurring problem?

Ive never used charcoal before but have read that you shouldnt give it for more than a few days at a time as it not only absorbs noxious stuff but can also absorb nutrients as well.

My boy get those tummy noises every so often and they can be rather alarming! Doesnt seem to bother him though and a quick trip out into the garden at stupid oclock in the morning usually does the trick and a nice bit of grass but he isnt sick?

What is she fed on? no diet changes im assuming? Maybe you could start a diary of absolutely everything she has see if you could pin point something?

Poor lottie x
trish48
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Hello
She gets this happening every few weeks, but this time it was quite bad on Sunday late evening till into Monday morning, then she is not so good today, it usually lasts for about 10 hours each time.
She is on Chappie, i was told by the vet to put her on this at the start of May, she started having these problems about 8 months ago, She is 20 months old.Such a worry.
Lotties Mum x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I can certainly recommend Bionic Biotic that someone advised me about on here.

Leon has a bad tummy caused by his arthritis meds and I'm certain that this has helped...he was also rushing to eat grass whenever he could, and this just aggravates the gut more.

If you google Bionic Biotic it brings up the website, it's very reasonably priced too, I bought some earlier in the year, he has a dose every day and I've still got over half of it left
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Charcoal is very good, and you can actually get charcoal Bonio's so try a couple of those for a day, coz they're probably not quite as "strong" as the real thing, and see how he goes with them. I've often used them for mine.

Doesn't your vet know exactly what is causing this problem though? Aren't there any tests perhaps? Could it be SIBO, have you looked up about that? She'd have diarrheah with that though or sickness at the very least, and maybe she is feeling sick and that's why she feels she cant' eat when all this is going on inside What about your worming programme is that up to date? Just that you say about those 10 day intervals, I'm wondering if some type of worm is migrating? If you don't want to worm, what about having a poo sample tested, costing around £30? Good luck with her.
trish48
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Thankyou for that, yes i will look up about the Bionic Biotic, i just hope i can find an answer.
Poor Lottie its upsetting to see her go through this
trish48
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 01:15 PM
The vet doesnt seem to know what it is, he said that it couldnt be a parasite , colic etc because she isnt having the runs or being sick , which she doesnt normally, but this morning she did have the runs, while i am doing this i can hear her tummy making gurgling and squeaking noises all the time.
And no nothing has been suggested about a test being done, i will ask for one to be done when i go tomorrow, this cannot keep happening.

Lotties Mum x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Trish how many meals is Lottie having a day?
I find dogs with these kind of tummy problems do better on three small meals. Are you feeding wet or dry Chappie, I would feed the wet.
trish48
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Minihaha
I feed her half a tin of wet in the morning and then at tea time 150grm of dried chappie with a bit of water on it, she is not toohappy with the dried food, but i give her it because i think of her teeth and wonder if the wet has all the nutrients in it she needs
Lotties Mum x
Multigravegifts
New Member!
Male 

16-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Our last Westie was like that for a long while, I found if we started her day with a sugar free farleys rusk "which she used to lick until it was a wafer then crunch it all up" and a few kibble for lunch and boned skinned chicken thigh for tea done in the micro. It toughened her up a treat, and she sounded v much how u described.

Hope all turns out well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >