Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 04:29 PM

charcoal and tummy upsets

Takara's not very well She's had a runny tum for a while and today it's got worse.

This aftenoon she got shaky and started crying, kept running to every door in the shop so I put her lead on and took her for a wander to see if she needed a toilet break. As soon as we got to the grassed area at the end of the road she stopped to go (usually she has to sniff around and find somwhere suitable) and it's now really bad - just a yellow puddle of liquid.

Thing is, there are various things that could've set it off and maintained a poorly tum as she has had a few, low quality treats lately so I'm a bit loathed to take her to the vet to find out it's something she's eaten and just to hang on in there.

If I try to get as much water down her as possible and starve her tonight, are the charcoal treats any good for dogs with tummy upsets? I have loads of them but wasn't sure if they'd just make the problem worse! They're the pointer ones...

Thanks!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I would personally starve her completely for 24hrs and allow her tummy to empty and settle.
Shady had the runs a couple of weeks ago and 24 hrs with no food then fish and rice for 24hrs sorted her out.
Hope she feels better soon.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks...

She'll definitely be starved for 24 hours (which is taking no effort whatsoever because she doesn't want to eat anyway) just wondered if the charcoal was any good afterwards...

Will just stick to chicken and rice after she's been starved. Thanks
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I would say no to the charcoal biscuits too - as there is not really enough charcoal in the biscuits to warrant giving them, yet the other ingredients will undoubtedly aggravate.

Charcoal granules OTH would probably settle the stomach (I have used them in the past for this) as it works by absorbing toxins and then the charcoal with the toxins are then just excreted normally.

BTW - charcoal is not really a good thing to give regularly as it is not selective, it will absorb the good stuff in food as well as the bad, so when used regularly the body is robbed of necessary vits and minerals from the food.