Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Poor staffie. I love winter walking because you only get the responsible owners out all weathers. Soon as Spring arrives all the poor dogs that have been kept in for the winter are supposed to come out and behave themselves with numpty owners.
Ditto here, for the past couple of weeks I've only seen one guy out that I see all year round with his dog, he's quite old and actually said how nice it was to see me walking the dogs before work (6am yawn) and that his neighbours dog was tied up in a garage all day I told him to report it. I just could'nt leave them without walking them, they love their walkies.
also when it's raining get free run of the canal
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
We like it when it's raining because we can go on the secure field near us and know there's no-one else there and the dogs can go off lead and have a good run for 10mins.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
The problem with Staffs and certain other breeds is not the dog but the owner of course. In my experience Staff owners are divided into three approximate groups.
1) shaven head, tattoos and large boots (and that is just the women)
2) Mr and/or Mrs Ordinary
3) Real Staff fans.

Group 3 is not, of course, an issue. Grp 2 are divided in to 2 sub classes i.e. those that know the breed and those that were attracted to the particular animal in the local rescue.

Grp 1. Also sub divisible into two groups although one sub group is distinctly smaller. Sub Grp A – looks like a thug but is an absolute pussycat and sub Grp B looks and is and shouldn’t be allowed near a dog of any sort.

Now, which group did our beach people fall into? Or, are they a yet undiscovered sub species of a major group?

More details clearly needed!
Errr....This isn't a Staffie bashing session, maybe I should have left out the breed. The dog was not a problem in the slightest, it was the couple who insisted on carrying on in my direction when they didn't want their dog mixing with other dogs that was the problem. FYI the couple were ordinary looking people. It's not what people look like that I walch for, it's their body language. If you had a dog that you didn't want to meet other dogs for whatever reason, and if you went to your left there was nobody about and to your right there were two people with two large dogs and a puppy all off lead, what would you do? It's the total lack of logic which escapes me!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
The problem with Staffs and certain other breeds is not the dog but the owner of course. In my experience Staff owners are divided into three approximate groups.
1) shaven head, tattoos and large boots (and that is just the women)
2) Mr and/or Mrs Ordinary
3) Real Staff fans.

Group 3 is not, of course, an issue. Grp 2 are divided in to 2 sub classes i.e. those that know the breed and those that were attracted to the particular animal in the local rescue.

Grp 1. Also sub divisible into two groups although one sub group is distinctly smaller. Sub Grp A – looks like a thug but is an absolute pussycat and sub Grp B looks and is and shouldn’t be allowed near a dog of any sort.

Now, which group did our beach people fall into? Or, are they a yet undiscovered sub species of a major group?

More details clearly needed!
I think you can subdivide all breeds the same way.
The only bit that will change is the dress code of group one.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
And some responses shouldn’t be taken tooooo seriously!
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I think you can subdivide all breeds the same way.
The only bit that will change is the dress code of group one.

I would agree with some but by no means all. Now take Border Collie Owners (the Gods of the dog world). Kind, generous, helpful and always dressed in modest style appropriate to their surroundings and the prevailing weather. Not for us the Dr Martin boots (Dubarry or Musto or shepherds boots preferred) and those without hair are inclined to be naturally gifted as such. Where a Border Collie leads others will follow (owners included).
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I would agree with some but by no means all. Now take Border Collie Owners (the Gods of the dog world). Kind, generous, helpful and always dressed in modest style appropriate to their surroundings and the prevailing weather. Not for us the Dr Martin boots (Dubarry or Musto or shepherds boots preferred) and those without hair are inclined to be naturally gifted as such. Where a Border Collie leads others will follow (owners included).
But of course, ALL Border Collie owners are perfect!

If I had said it was a couple with a collie, would I have gotten these ridiculous comments?
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reminder; how could I have forgotten? Border Collie owners also have a sense of humour (thank God)
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok some Border collie owners dress code.
Wellies that have never seen mud, wax coats that still look new. They think Border Collies are born well behaved. Well they have seen them doing tricks on the TV and it can't be that hard,can it?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I can actually see one reason why they may have deliberately followed you....trying to 'desensitise' their dog to others. I will actually sometimes follow other people at a distance for this reason (because we go through days of not seeing any other dogs).

However, there is no way they should be putting the onus on you keeping your dog away from them nor shouting/screaming at you...so yes, they are still numpties
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >