View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 08:32 PM
My husband won't let Jess sleep on the bed either, and to be fair, I don't think he is being unfair.

I think maybe your girlfriend is being soft.

I have to admit though, I think a dogs place to sleep if you live in a house is downstairs. When I lived in a bungalow, the dog slept in the kitchen.

I don't really think dogs should be allowed to sleep on the bed. JMO though

I would just shut her out of the bedroom like we do with Jess. She will be ok and she will get used to it.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 08:51 PM
we had this problem, apart from michael use to suck the quilt, made a hole and remove the insides. so we used a cage in the bedroom. they arent allowed up stairs at all now.
ATD x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't think you're being unfair, but I think it might take a long time to get your dog out of the habit. You have to be consistent.

Sounds like she has a lovely snuggly bed of her own and you'll all get a better night's sleep if she stays in it
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-11-2009, 10:08 AM
OK, if you don't want to use the gate or close the door then I would try out the following.

Go to bed with your missus during the day (....watch it guys, stay on topic here!!! ). Pretend to sleep and wait until the Dog goes to jump on the bed...as soon as the dog attempts it give a firm 'NO' and take the dog back to her own bed. Maybe pop the Dog a treat when it lies back down?

I would maybe do this on several occassions each day you have the opportunity?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Go to bed with your missus during the day (....watch it guys, stay on topic here!!! ). Pretend to sleep and wait until the Dog goes to jump on the bed...as soon as the dog attempts it give a firm 'NO' and take the dog back to her own bed. Maybe pop the Dog a treat when it lies back down?

I would maybe do this on several occassions each day you have the opportunity?
Have you tried this yourself Nick?
How long did it take

before the missus saw through it?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Have you tried this yourself Nick?
How long did it take

before the missus saw through it?
No, bit I'm seriously thinking about trying this one out

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
No, bit I'm seriously thinking about trying this one out

Good luck, me thinks the doggy might suss this one out!!!!!!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Good luck, me thinks the doggy might suss this one out!!!!!!
LOL...indeed!!!!
danny teflon
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2009, 07:00 AM
sat up all saturday night stopping her before she got near the bed with a quick 'lie down' or 'on your bed'.
last night she woke me up once but wasnt on the bed this fair morn' so thats a bonus
got a few days off so i might try pretending to be asleep during the day, see how that goes

i understand what your saying about the dogs not going upstairs but, she can only get into our room and the landing, shes not a chewer or a barker, shes never had a toilet accident and she doesnt malt very much so theres no problem with the hygene aspect, so i dont really mind
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by danny teflon View Post
sat up all saturday night stopping her before she got near the bed with a quick 'lie down' or 'on your bed'.
last night she woke me up once but wasnt on the bed this fair morn' so thats a bonus
got a few days off so i might try pretending to be asleep during the day, see how that goes

i understand what your saying about the dogs not going upstairs but, she can only get into our room and the landing, shes not a chewer or a barker, shes never had a toilet accident and she doesnt malt very much so theres no problem with the hygene aspect, so i dont really mind
That sounds promising (although tiring for you...still, should be worth it in the end). I'm sure once she works out that she can never get away with it, she'll stop trying.

We're the same with our dogs - quite happy for them to be in the bedroom, but not in our bed...they have their own beds.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >