Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:26 AM

How much water should a pup/dog drink?

I was watching 'its me or the dog' and this lillte dog (i cant spell it i wont even try!) only needed like a egg cup full of water.... or something!

But how much would a big dog E.G. GSD need? i was thinking of getting one of those pet water fountain things when i do get a dog? any good? :smt102

Thanks! :smt100
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 02:17 PM
My dogs always have access to fresh water - I have two medium sized dishes in the kitchen and change the water twice a day. They also have a bucket of water in the garden, which regularly gets topped up with rain water - of course they both love that the best!

I don't think it is essential that you have a water fountain, but a medium-large sized bowl that is regularly refilled/changed will be fine.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 02:31 PM
every single individual will take a different amount, but be assured a big animal like a gsd will need a big bowl!

You will soon find out, if you get a big bowl and top it up every morning, you will soon see how much per day the dog drinks. Then one day if he is drinking alot or not much, you will be able to spot this as a symptom of him not being quite right and look out for other symptoms...
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

12-10-2006, 02:33 PM
It depends on what you are feeding them, '
Wet meat, or dry biscuit,As long as you use a big bowl ( depending on size of dog of course) and change the water at least twice daily you and dog will get on fine. Kath.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2006, 03:03 PM
The thing about the chihuahua was the amount it was peeing all over the house, but generally dogs drink when thirsty, mine have a bucket in the garden refilled every day and the back door is open nearly all the time.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Pretty much whats been said... constant access to fresh water
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 03:32 PM
ahhh ok then! just as i was watchign the programme i tohught i actually have no idea how much they drink!

as my cat doesnt drink anything at home, well sometimes it has a little bit of cat milk, but other than that hell only drink from the water in the garden!!

Thanks!! :smt040