View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Zinc - Can It Help With Retained Testicles & Bitches Seasons?

I saw the attached on another forum but no-one had responded which is a pity as I was really intrigued by it. I know there have been a lot of threads about retained testicles and thought someone may have some answers, it sounds too good to be true but it may give some people a solution to a common problem. I was suprised about the bitches seasons as I didn't think there were any natural supplements to adjust season due dates.
"Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the benefits/pitfalls of using zinc on a puppy dog to encourage retained testicles to drop? I have been told that you should start giving it to them once you know that the testicles are there but are concerned that the pup is older than one would expect for them not to drop, (obviously if the pup has been born without them or they are too high in the body to ever expect to drop if won't work). It should then be continued for a couple of months after they have dropped to ensure they remain down. Although it is of no interest to me it can also, apparently, bring a female into season if she is due and you need to control dates for one reason or another. I've had a look on the internet and have seen zinc mentioned for testicular problems but have been unable to find anything specific or a list of side effects which is what would concern me. The pup in question is only 12 weeks old at the moment and the testicles have been felt by the vet who said not to worry unduly. As I've only just been told about zinc I haven't asked my vet yet but thought there is bound to be someone on this forum that knows about it. If there are no side effects then I would be happy to give it a try but would never knowingly give my dogs anything that would risk their health. Any information would be greatly received".
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Don't think feeding supplements is a good idea as over doing it can be fatal, and providing a decent diet is fed totally unnecessary, as to the in season bitch I do not think it would make much difference.

Sorry had to answer the phone so adding this, at 12 weeks the crown jewels come and go and if the vet has felt them they have passed down through the narrow part on the journey from the abdomen and will be fine, give it time and please do not supplement, just feed a good balanced diet either a manufactured quality food or home made if you are able to sort the requirements.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I appreciate the information Pita, I had a few scares with my youngster who is now 18 months old and entire but they kept coming and going until he was about 6 months old. When I saw the post I was really interested to see if anyone had used it and, if so, what the results were. I couldn't see how you could tell if the zinc had encouraged the testicles to drop or if they were going to anyway. Also, how could it change a bitches cycle?, I'd never heard of anything like that other than a hormone injection that the vet can administer in need. I thought that maybe everyone else was using this "wonder drug" and I was leaving everything to nature and good feeding, lol.
As there have been quite a few threads on the subject of missing testicles I thought it was worth a mention in case it could be of help to anyone if it was a safe option but I definately wouldn't suggest it to anyone now that I know theres a risk involved. Many thanks for your sound advice.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I agree with Pita in that it is best to keep the number of supplements you give to a minimum. Zinc can inhibit the absorption of copper so it really is best to avoid giving such supplements unless they are necessary. If you are worried about your dogs Zinc levels you can have a blood test done to monitor the level of Zinc and supplement as necessary according to the results, but I certainly wouldn't supplement merely in an attempt to bring testicles down
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Would add, do not keep feeling for them as you need to take care they are easily damaged, if you must then every couple of weeks get someone to hold the pup round the chest and lift till his hind legs are off the floor, with him sort of dangling in an upright position. Then, with your index finger just feel gently in the area and you should feel something a bit like a large pea, if you don't it is probably your inability to recognise what you are feeling rather than the pup not having them.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Think as everyone else has said, if vet can feel them they will come down, some dogs are just slower than others. I have heard that Flat coated Retrievers can be slow for theirs to drop, six months plus not being unusual. Some Flat coat breeders swear by and use Homeopathic Clematis and say this helps.