Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Chosen

Hi

I am getting fed up with all these programmes,showing the few who abuse and mishandle dogs,soon everyone will be scared to own a dog.

I remember in a small village only being aware of the farmers dogs,not border collies but a mixture,they were true working dogs,then one day someone brought home a dog,and everyone thought he's got a wolf,he would walk down the local street,and mothers grabbed their children,everyone was terrified,as time went by I learnt he was an Alsation,that was my first experience of a breed of dogs.

There was a programme called the Secret Life of Dogs (a much better programme for dog lovers) one of the things that impressed me Researchers have found that we respond to the face of a dog in much the same warm way as we respond to small babies.Experiments placed human beings into a brain scanner and found that the same area of the brain lights up when shown a picture of a human baby as is illuminated when a dog's face is shown.It doesnt happen if the picture is of an adult human. And indeed there are noteworthy similarities in the faces of babies and dogs-a high forehead sweet little button nose and big innocent eyes.Most remarkable researchers trying to understand why the dog has become man's best friends have learned how the dog was domesticated by conducting experiments with Wolves and seperately Silver
Foxes.First they tried to raise wolf clubs in a domestic environment in exactly the same way as tiny puppies.The wolves showed absolutely no inclination to behave in an acceptable manner.If the fridge door opened they would dive in and took whatever they wanted,even if we said no,They remained wild and independant,As researchers nurtured a wolf cub,it became obvious that they didnt care,they were returned to the sanctuary to be with their own kind as it was thought they could become a danger.
A vet also reported seeing a really dangerous dog a cross with a wolf.A wolf will never attack a human being unless it feels threatened it will simply slink off in fear and find other prey.But despite this dogs have chosen to share our fire-place and give us unconditional love,we now seem to be going backwards and breeding Agression back into dogs.and maybe not in my lifetime,dogs will revert back to wolves and I believe that we could be over run by packs of vicious animals.Something has to be done,Humans have to take responsibility.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 05:30 PM
What is 'chosen' signifying?

Surprised to hear that no one knew what an 'Alsatian' was back then what with the popularity of Rin Tin Tin! It was one of the first breed of dogs (along with Lassie) that I could name.

I think your last paragraph about breeding aggression back into dogs and the possibility of the human race being overrun by packs of wolves is fantastical to say the least.

Not really sure WHICH point you are trying to make actually as you start out talking about programmes showing dogs being mistreated and people being frightened to take a dog on but end up talking about people having dogs and breeding aggression into them?

If they were frightened to take a dog on - it's highly unlikely they'd want to have one and teach it to be aggressive. Doesn't make sense to me.

The programme The Secret Lives of Dogs was discussed at great length on here at the time it was aired. You can probably still find the thread.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2014, 05:46 PM
I'll admit I'm not really with it at the moment but trying to keep myself occupied and I've read your post several times and have no idea who or what is chosen.
As for programmes about the mistreatment of dogs, I simply don't watch them otherwise I shout at the telly and rant and rave but it changes nothing. Even if the tw@ts could here what I was saying they'd take no notice. I just can't see the point of getting upset about programmes designed to get a reaction, I have enough in my life that I can do something about and I concentrate on those. I comfort myself with no matter what happens in life my dogs will only know love, appreciation and good old fun. I change what I can and don't get upset by what I can't change.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
we now seem to be going backwards and breeding Agression back into dogs.and maybe not in my lifetime,dogs will revert back to wolves and I believe that we could be over run by packs of vicious animals.Something has to be done,Humans have to take responsibility.Gemini54
I think you are getting a little carried away with some extreme thoughts to be honest.

Like the others....I have no idea what " chosen " signifies
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'll admit I'm not really with it at the moment but trying to keep myself occupied and I've read your post several times and have no idea who or what is chosen.
As for programmes about the mistreatment of dogs, I simply don't watch them otherwise I shout at the telly and rant and rave but it changes nothing. Even if the tw@ts could here what I was saying they'd take no notice. I just can't see the point of getting upset about programmes designed to get a reaction, I have enough in my life that I can do something about and I concentrate on those. I comfort myself with no matter what happens in life my dogs will only know love, appreciation and good old fun. I change what I can and don't get upset by what I can't change.
Excellent post. I agree with your sentiments. None of us can 'change people' all we can control is how we REACT to them.

Glad I'm not alone in finding the title of this thread enigmatic and puzzling to say the least!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Hi Dogs chose to come in from the cold,the process of domestication wasnt done with wolves but with silver foxes,there over a 50 year period silver foxes a naturally wild and aggressive animal,only the least aggressive have been allowed to breed and during te 50 years the researchers have found each new generation becoming progressively more tame and changing there physical characteristics sometimes the colour has altered,the tail becomes curly,they are it seems becoming dogs and the conclusion is that through what they achieved with foxes,they applied to the wolves,and as I said in my OP it took many years to reduce the aggression,but now it seems we have dangerous dogs in our midst,and nothing to stop unregistered breeders continuing,the law can do nothing but destroy,the same people will just continue breeding.The village I mentioned was in rural Ireland,Clonmel Co.Tipperary no tv's only religious programmes on the radio,but with a bit of fiddling got to listen to Pirate Radio, Radio Luxemburg,even when Queen Elizabeth was crowned,no one was in a rush to get a tv,not like the rest of the uk.I was lucky and was in London,and saw this enormous lady carried by on a bed,that turned out to be the Queen of Hawaii, and heard most of the ceremony.But we do have to take on board,what happened in the past and learn from it, These animals are with us because they chose to be,how do we know if fiddling wit genetics will undo all that happened and we got out of it an ideal companion,I say leave well alone,Gemini54
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-03-2014, 10:40 AM
The last monarch and only queen regnant of the Kingdom of Hawaii was Queen Liliʻuokalani, who died on January 17, 1893, so she could hardly have been at the coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 11:26 AM
My OP was about dogs and I was illustrating how some areas didnt have modern communication,the person I saw was polynesion,being a young girl wouldnt have known the differance,see link I am so glad that you have so much time to correct peoples posts and hope you get a lot of satisfaction from it most of us dont have te time to go through the biggest forum,how many posts per day wouldnt like to guess

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...AC&redir_esc=y

Gemini54
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The last monarch and only queen regnant of the Kingdom of Hawaii was Queen Liliʻuokalani, who died on January 17, 1893, so she could hardly have been at the coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
It was Queen Salote of Tonga

The smiling Queen Salote of Tonga won the hearts and acclaim of the waiting crowds as she remained undaunted by the rain throughout the long procession and refused to raise the roof of her carriage for protection.

Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
It was Queen Salote of Tonga

The smiling Queen Salote of Tonga won the hearts and acclaim of the waiting crowds as she remained undaunted by the rain throughout the long procession and refused to raise the roof of her carriage for protection.

We did not have a television - did not have one for years afterwards, but went round to an uncle of Mother's who had one with a tiny screen and one of those magnifying things you could put in front.

I think there were about two dozen people crammed into their front room, with us children sitting cross-legged on the floor in the front, and I well remember Queen Salote's smile.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >