View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 09:49 AM

Blood test results - anyone savvy able to take a look?

Kiki had blood taken for testing earlier this week to see if her SA has any medical cause, most of the results are back (awaiting last of the thyroid test - not sure if it's covered enough? May have the Jean Dodds test done in addition to this)
Vet has deemed them normal but wondered if some savvy people don't mind taking a read and seeing if they agree please? My vets are normally pretty great but I've not been down the blood test route with them before.
Sorry for the images, don't have time to type them up at work, but can do so later if it's an issue (don't know why the scanner's done them wonky but it blurs them to straighten them up )

If it makes any difference, she's a 5.5 year old Rottweiler x GSD, raw-fed (and wasn't fasted prior to the test as no one told me to! Just had a small meal 2 hours prior) and on no medication.

I've just been googling and have seen that raised urea can be due to raw feeding as the results are typically higher - vet does know I raw feed but tests are done externally so guess they don't account for that.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the thyroid "results" demonstrate the huge gap between what is normally done in the UK and that which is looked for from Jean Dodds. eg

Q. What tests should be included in the complete thyroid profile?
A. At least the majority of the following:

• T4, freeT4, T3, freeT3
• TgAA (important if breeding or for breeds at risk for thyroiditis)
• T3 Autoantibody (T3AA) and T4 Autoantibody (T4AA)
cTSH poorly predictive (~ 70%) compared to humans

The cTSH test gives relatively poor predictability for primary hypothyroidism in dogs [~ 70%] v people [95%], because the dog has another pathway to regulate the pituitary-thyroid-hypothalamic axis via growth hormone. False negatives and false positives (i.e. discordant results) occur in ~ 30% of cases. New research just published has shown that unlike humans where growth hormone has minimal influence on thyroid regulatory control, the dog uses this additional important regulatory pathway along with endogenous TSH.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 10:22 AM
From a thyroid point of view most vets will say they are Ok if they fall within the specified range.

Jean Dodds says for a healthy young dog anything in the upper 50% of the range is normal (so for your vets T4 range Jean Dodds 'normal' would be between 32 - 51) and therefore would suggest medication (assuming the other measures are low also)

T4 (or Total T4) can also be an indicator or other underlying issues not related to hypo or hyper for eg Heart condition virus

The TGaa that you are waiting for is a clear or not result. 90% of dogs who have thyroid issues are TGaa Positive so if there isnt an issue at this stage then in theory she should be TGaa negative

The free T4 is supposed to be the most indicative (but should still always be considered along with the other measures)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks SB. Will get back in touch with Katie Rourke and arrange to get to their monthly blood clinic I think.
Do you think anything else in the results is raising a flag or does it look relatively normal to you?

Crossposted, thanks Dobermonkey. The free T4 & TGaa should be back in the next couple of days hopefully.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 10:27 AM
No worries. I am shortly booking my boy in for his 3rd set of bloods! Its a hot topic fo rme right now too
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Interestingly just seen (googling causes of the higher results) that elevated cholesterol can be a symptom of hypothyroidism, have you noticed that in his results?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 11:10 AM
he didnt have the biochem done (agreed with vet that he would have 'full bloods' and thyroid - i assumed full bloods was what you have had but twasnt grr!)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2012, 09:18 AM
So TgAA has come back negative. Free T4 is 12.8 (reference range 6.0-40.0)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2012, 09:43 AM
I have just checked Pereg's last two results for Free T4 and in October last year her level was 16.9 [reference range here given as 6.7 - 34.7], and on 19 April this year it was 24.4 [The full test results are on the computer at the surgery so I do not really need copies]

I know her TSH levels are low but that is due to her medication, and it is a combination of the full Thyroid panel that apparently counts, so as long as her Free T4 levels are good my Vet says it shows that she is definitely not hypothyroid.

smokeybear - I know you think highly of Jean Dodds, but I have come across too many people on the Epilepsy List who have put their dogs onto Soloxine because of her diagnosis of Hypothyroidism causing their Epilepsy, when it was actually the Pb that caused the "abnormal" thyroid panel test results. I prefer to rely on my own Vet and the excellent laboratories in my own country, not a laboratory half way across the world.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Someone advised I email Dr Jean Dodds to see if she would mind looking at Kiki's blood test results for me, I shot an email off and had a response early this morning to say she'd take a look in the morning (her time). That should hopefully be late afternoon/early evening and I can then pop to my vets to discuss the next option, dependant on what Dr Dodds thinks.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >