View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I have heard but do not know for defenite that the dap collars work better as they are closer to the dog and are with then constantly. As others have said you can get one from a vets.

She sounds like she needs somewhere to feel safe so the crate is in this instance in my opinion the best idea and to cover it as has been suggested. Associate it with good things feeding her in it, tempting her into it by throwing really tasty stuff, liver, cold kebab meat, cheese, chicken, and to let her go into it on her own accord. Sit on the floor beside the crate but as far as possible ignore her, turn your head away from her if she pushes her nose in your face etc, just remain calm and consistent and your presence in the room should make her feel a bit easier then when she goes in the crate lots of praise . Repeat as often as you can in short periods of time.

You can then gradually build up to closing door over but not actually shutting it, maybe then give her something tasty through the cage, then actually shutting the cage then leaving the room but it all has to be gradually, calmly and with lots of praise.

Kongs are good and once she has calmed down a bit she may use one as she obviously enjoys food still, fill it with peanut butter and stick it in the freezer, or anything else she enjoys
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Garden is secure but can't guarantee anything. She did as much as possible to get out last night (obviously didn't manage it) so am very wary about letting her out.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Stumpy our most recent rescue was, I'm pretty sure, an outside dog. She is comfortable in the house, but does get more nervous if she is shut in a room (with or without one of us). So from that experience alone, I would say let her have full run of the place. The only disadvantage to that of course, is that if you do this when you're not with her, the damage could be spread across the whole house.

One other thought - how secure is your garden? I wonder whether, having been used to living outside in an early home, she might be more comfortable being left in the garden for the time being? But you would have to be ultra sure that she could not get out (or that anyone else could get in). You've also got the problem that presumably you don't have a kennel or other shelter for her out there.
I too wondered about this Hali but agree she would need some sort of kennel/run area secure and safe.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:36 AM
RE Kongs youd be surprised how quick she would learn especially with food inside as its a self rewarding thing the more she chews that the miore reward she gets and because it is food she gets it is more rewarding than the door etc.

I think it'd def be worth a try.

Is the house all one level? If so, rather than the whole run of the house maybe just one level

The Bach rescue remedy a good idea if you find the dap hard to get. Its maybe a bit mad but if she is used to being outside what about recording some "outside sounds" traffic, birds etc like the sounds of evryday outside she would have heard at home. EG if she came from a town area or built up area cars, people etc and if a quieter area the odd car children birds etc. Am sure you could find stuff on net. Then play that to her
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Am sure there is a cd you can get with music especially designed to relax dogs as well... will try and find it. I know it's not much good today but maybe worth a try if you are going to persevere. How are you feeling about things now? BTW completely side point, I assume your OH has also tried to be calm and understanding with Bailey? Not that i am accussing him of anything!!!! Just it's so easy for a nervous dog to pick up any tension - it's a vicious circle!!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...healing---dogs

here you go and i really recommend the company too.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Yep, he's been a star. Very calm
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I think a kong is a good idea, a dog that has never had any toys will take a while to get used to one, but when she finds out there is a reward of the treat variety in a kong she should take to it,and it will give her something to occupy her when you are not around. Dogs that have not been given toys may never get the hang of them, but if she is food motivated, the kong might work.Also taking her out for walks is a good idea, and part of the bonding process, but if you feel you can't cope and a suitable rescue centre can take her, then that decision should be made sooner rather than later .
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
Yep, he's been a star. Very calm
Am so pleased to hear that. Having a supportive OH in situations like this can make all the difference.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Or at least for your sanity's sake.
Page 5 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »