View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm going to suggest to the girls parents that they bring her along to the dog training classes. That way she can see how dogs interact amongst themselves and start to learn their body language. Once she's a little more confident they can then move on to introducing her to some of the more docile dogs in the class. Hopefully this will help to prevent the unreasonable behaviour from her which in turn will greatly reduce the chances of her getting bitten by a dog in the future. Fingers crossed they agree to it because she really needs to be educated for her own safety if nothing else.

Heidi
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:16 AM
I was out walking yesterday in the forest and there were some kids in front who were also just calmy walking along. I kept my dogs from going too close and they ignored the kids up until the point one boy suddenly started to run and then Flynn took off after him barking. To say it gave the child a fright was an understatement, and me as well because you obviously have to be so careful about incidents like this.

I apologised to the lady with them who was fortunately ok about it and made my dogs sit and wait until the kids had gone quite far ahead. The silly thing was these kids (the lads in particular) then proceeded to hang behind the rest and then make mad dashes whilst looking round at my dogs. It did seem as if the kids were goading my dogs after that and I could see Flynn was itching to run after them but I kept a fair distance behind.

I dont have kids of my own but I have small nephews and a niece who the dogs see regularly. Out and about tho I have to be careful as being a collie, Jed doesnt like things like rollerskates, skateboards or other things that move and make noise and Flynn gets excited by quick movement so I tend to stay away from public parks etc.

It's difficult getting kids to understand how dogs can behave. Even my oldest nephew who is 8 still does silly things around them and doesnt realise if he holds a toy above his head trying to keep it out of the dogs reach, they will just jump up to get it and knock him over, or if he runs round squealing they will chase him even more!

Kids and dogs are definately a headache combination IMO.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post

Kids and dogs are definately a headache combination IMO.
But it doesn' have to be that way. Yes, those kids that aren't interested in learning/being sensible around dogs will be a nightmare, but just look at how Fliggle's daughter has handled this situation, I think she's done so well.

And of course children get so much out of having a dog around when they all know the rules.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
But it doesn' have to be that way. Yes, those kids that aren't interested in learning/being sensible around dogs will be a nightmare, but just look at how Fliggle's daughter has handled this situation, I think she's done so well.

And of course children get so much out of having a dog around when they all know the rules.
Such a good answer. Also if the child parents will let her go to the training with Figgle...well done.
I wouldn't like to say do this or do that, but I ahve to agree with Hali kids get so much out of being around animals. We as foster carers have a revolving door, we have 1 Long term teenager, his friends come here, emergency placements (ages between 5 upwards) they may stay for one night or several nights due to placement breakdown, plus eight grandchildren, we have three dogs eight cats, rabbits and guinea-pig, plus Foster son's sister who has contact once every 6 weeks, It's not just a case of training the dog, it's a case of educating the child too.
None of the kids that come here, know anything about our dogs, so we have to give rules.
The dogs are SO WELL EDUCATED with the kids.....but not so the kids themselves. So Figgle I think you have a great idea there. Also we have 1 grandchild that is Petrified of dogs...she was attacked by a dog in the street, we are still working with her 1 year down the road, she RUNS and obviously some dogs will give chase, we're educating her not to run....but to stand still, she's only 4 years old, yet she loves coming here with these three as she says......'Nanny I love your dogs because they are not dogs that bite'........Now if I said to her NO dog will bite then I'd be giving her false information. So we say 'Well ours know you....but remember other's don;t, so outside when you see a dog running towards you, stand still, keep your arms by your side and don't scream' This is eworking now, but 12 months back...well that was a different story.
Well done Figgle.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Ailsa in a world full of children (particularly if you have some of your own) it is almost impossible to restrict a dogs access to them altogether.

I totally agree with you this is not something that can be sorted out on the internet and one reason why I don't think people should be posting to say 'I will PM you' and giving advice on dogs in private when they haven't even seen them (as was discussed in a recent thread) .

The best we can hope to do in these situations is to exchange experiences/make general suggestions with regard to teaching children how to behave around dogs and how to gently introduce dogs to children .

..Heidi it's also good that people like you post in detail about your experiences, your doing so may give those who read your post the confidence to do the same, and others who read the thread may find some useful information too.
It's lovely that so many people take the trouble to post in these threads with helpful suggestions that we can all share and discuss openly. But thats what forums are all about isn't it
I hope the new behaviorist will be able to help you move forward with Dingo.
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Just noticed these replies.

Mini was making a general statement, not referring to another thread.

What's her replies got to do with a lack of yours

3 posts above will be deleted in 10 minutes!

Stick to the topic and leave behind any baggage from other threads please.
[quote=Shona;1389581]sorry It just looked to me as though she was refering to another thread, I will leave it at this though, there is no point in going over and over this, At no point has anyone on this thread posted, I will pm you hence I see no relivance to this thread,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I'm going to suggest to the girls parents that they bring her along to the dog training classes. That way she can see how dogs interact amongst themselves and start to learn their body language. Once she's a little more confident they can then move on to introducing her to some of the more docile dogs in the class. Hopefully this will help to prevent the unreasonable behaviour from her which in turn will greatly reduce the chances of her getting bitten by a dog in the future. Fingers crossed they agree to it because she really needs to be educated for her own safety if nothing else.

Heidi
thats a super idea fliggle, I think if she can build confidence round smaller dogs then it will help, good luck
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4