View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Sounds like he was just frightened to me honey. Have a word with your behaviourist about it.

I do so hope it's not a serious underlying problem for poor Dingo, for all your sakes, and especially mine, 'cos I do love him......

Keep us posted please chick x
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 08:17 PM
We're back at training tomorrow so I will let you know once we get back tomorrow evening what's been said. I'm tempted to ask Sophie's friend to come with me to walk Dingo as well. That way I can get her to hold his lead with me so she learns he's nothing to be afraid of. Dingo's going to be more interested in the rabbits that are around than he is in paying attention to her neurosis.

After chatting with my husband we have decided for definate that Dingo will not be going anywhere. He is fantastic with Sophie and so long as that is the case then other children and Dingo can learn to get a long.

Heidi
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm glad you have decided this. It must have been the child screaming that alarmed him. You'll sort it out don't worry.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't know if this helps, but I had that once with my late JRT, she was asleep in the living room on the chair and I was out in the garden, a friend came by and we entered the house via the garage. Well Sally must of been startled because (and it happened so quick) my friends little boy bent down by her, that woke her up and she nipped him, but barked afterwards like crazy.
My friend was really good about it, I was devasated, she'd never done anything like that before.....so I think I agree with others perhaps it startled Figgle as my late JRT was startled. I hope so anyway fingers xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi Heidi may I add to my above post having read you later post..
..you say
Dingo, who had been asleep on his bed next to me, shot across the room barking and jumped up at one of the kids, still barking in her face
..as the others have said Dingo could have been startled, there may also have been an element of protecting you if he had been sitting next to you. Dogs retain images of past negative experiences and something about the situation may have caused Dingo to associate it with a past unpleasant experience. It may have been a combination of things and one has to be very careful speculating on the causes of aggression, no one can know for sure particularly if they don't know/have never seen the dog. .
Can I also suggest you check Dingos ears and body for any obvious problems. An ear infection or small wound can make a dog tetchy. If in doubt a trip to the vet should be considered.
You seem to have handled the situation very well staying calm , I know it is a natural response to shout at the dog at times like this but that can make the problem worse because the dog may then associate children with punishment.

How old is Louise and her friends . Have you seen the KC 'Safe and Sound challenge game for children? It may help the children who play with Louise to understand dogs a litter better and it is fun to do

http://www2.the-kennel-club.org.uk/web_portal/

I know about the screaming, there is a little girl at work who screams whenever she sees my puppy and it makes me so cross because it startles my puppy (and me) . I am tempted to scream one time when I see her so she knows how scary it can be...
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 09:36 AM
The thing is Mini if you were to scream at her she'd look at you like you'd lost the plot!!!! You say she screams at your puppy? What would she do if she met a Great Dane then? Pass out on the spot? I suppose that would be the quieter option though. I am reading all these links with great interest. I'm also prayin that Sophie's friend doesn't come round today because I really want to talk to the behaviourist before that scene replays again. I get butterflies in my tummy just thinking of the bell going and it being her at the door.

Heidi
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
The thing is Mini if you were to scream at her she'd look at you like you'd lost the plot!!!! You say she screams at your puppy? What would she do if she met a Great Dane then? Pass out on the spot? I suppose that would be the quieter option though. I am reading all these links with great interest. I'm also prayin that Sophie's friend doesn't come round today because I really want to talk to the behaviourist before that scene replays again. I get butterflies in my tummy just thinking of the bell going and it being her at the door.

Heidi
...Heidi if I screamed at her I would probably get the sack (She is from an African country where dogs don't seem to be kept as pets, just guard dogs ).

If Sophie's friend comes and you don't feel comfortable/wish to see your behaviorist first I would remove Dingo from the room. I feel it may be better to do this anyway from his point of view so he isn't scared by this girl. It is better that he gently learns to accept dog tolerant children at his own pace before being confronted by the difficult ones.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I have to say I would be very worried if this happened with one of my dogs. Yes, children need to learn how to behave around them,but if a dog is at al suspect, it shouldn't have access to them at all.
I would say you need to see a decent behaviourist asap, Idon't think this is something that can be sorted on the internet.
Big hug to you and good luck.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I am seeing our usual behaviourist tonight at 5pm but we have also booked a session with a different bahaviourist for Saturday afternoon so we can get a second opinion on Dingo's behaviour. It's not that we don't trust our usual one but in this sort of situation I feel the more advice the better.

The friend did arrive at the door but Sophie told them she's staying in to watch a DVD and she told them they couldn't come in because she didn't want to upset Dingo and since he has to live here, he's what is important. She's also printed off the rules for children being near dogs and stuck it to our front door. She also says she's going to give a copy of them to her friends as well for them to learn. I'm so proud of how grown up she is being about it all.

At the moment Sophie is sitting on settee with Dingo in front of her reading the rules to him as well. She looks interested but Dingo just looks blank.

Heidi
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Thats so lovely to hear how your daughter is being so responsible.

I must admit I don't think the KC do enough to advertise those 'rules' - I only stumbled on them the other day by chance...in fact I think I might put a thread up about them.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >