View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:33 PM
If he really is a puller and you are struggling with training him out of it I do feel a head collar is more effective - do a google search and read up on them.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:43 PM
We are going to the puppy classes tomorrow, so I'm going to see what they advise from him. I must admit I am enjoying the challenge!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Hi hoping some one can give me some advice!!

When we are walking to the park, Shadow pulls constantly on his lead, whines and yelps because he's so excited, he's the most friendly dog about but some people are put off by him because he makes such a noise!! We are away to attend puppy classes in a bid to help, I've also read that I should let him go to the end of his lead once he reaches it stop and turn round and start walking, once he catches up tell him he's a good boy and give him a treat, I've been doing this for a while, and apart from looking like a moron it doesn't seem to be working!!

Thanks
Hi Leanne you may find it helps to have a game with your puppy at home (like ball or hide and seek) before going out for a walk on the lead, this will use up some of his energy.

Puppies and dogs naturally walk and trot faster than humans and are eager to 'get going' so it must be quite difficult for them to stick to our pace, also I think pulling can be self perpetuating, the puppy pulls and finds it uncomfortable so pulls all the more to get away from the discomfort. A good harness can be a great help and may even calm the puppy down because it is not pulling so much to avoid the discomfort of the collar and lead , and if it does pull it is less likely to harm its throat and neck.
I have this harness for my very excitable puppy, it isn't a 'no pull' harness as such but calms her down ..
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/newshop/H...+Fleece+Lined/

I know someone who purchased this 'no pull' harness recently for a pulling puppy who was pulling so much its eyes were becoming red and it has been a great help..
http://www.kumfi.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=26
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Leanne

Good on you for rescuing the pup...

Have you tried playing with Shadow in the back yard, throwing a ball, playing tug or something that'll tire him out a bit before going for a walk?

Buzz was terrible at pulling on the lead, when I first got him, so I armed myself with clicker and treats, and whenever he was beside I c/t'ed.. He did come with a choke chain, but I don't like them at all.. I have used the gentle leader or halti on several of my dogs over the years.

Cheers
Lene
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2008, 09:01 PM
We've been to his class, it was more like a private consultation tho!! The trainer has advised a head collar for walking, with the technique of stopping when he pulls and go in the opposite direction. Also to cut down his food and to get him off what he's eating at the moment as it probably isn't helping, making him hyper (he's on baker's) and to go for a more natural diet. She has asked me to practice sit, down, twist, watch me and back up.
My other half plays with him before we go out but I think with the bakers it's making him super hyper!!!
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2008, 08:27 AM
oh yes...Bakers is full of additives and crap tbh (Pedigree is the same imho) - getting him onto a decent food will help.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2008, 08:29 PM
We got Shadow fitted for a halti and what a difference already!!!! And he was the star pupil in his puppy class today!!! Went to the vets and he confirmed what I thought- He's actually 6 months, when we got him we were told he was 4 months!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi Leanne!

He was the star pupil in my class, I was pleased with both of you. Your hard work will start to pay off soon, I can already see a difference.
Hope to see you both again soon,
Jess.x.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey Jess,

We're definately coming on Sunday! He's still pulling but no where near as bad as he did, looking forward to Sunday and so is he lol!

Leanne x
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I have never posted back to say I have succeeded with our pup!!! He longers pulls, still get's a bit excited at times but nothing compared to walk he was! He walks to heel, sits, paw, speak, down, wait, stay, come, away, recalls no bother. I've worked hard with him and it feels amazing to see the rewards and thanks all for their help and we also started sheep dog training with him, as our older dog is a retired sheep dog and he's doing a good job atm and I'm loving working with sheep again lol!! Thanks everyone again - thought I should update you on him
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2