Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have just had another problem dog start at training,, Domino,, a BC, Now your input here would be good,

I will clarify the facts later but from what I gather at the moment,
she is a bitch, 3 years old, with no real sign of problems before they moved house in Jan this year

{though my gut says things may have been building up or they may have had some issues before the move but just didnt know it I could be wrong though}

since moving the dog has become aggressive towards visitors in the house {to the point her owner had to put her in another room a week ago because she was biteing trouser legs and constantly showing teeth }

this week while in the park playing with her ball, {she was with the owners OH at the time } she ran up and ripped the back of a girls jeans {apparently her owners OH had thrown the ball, and the girl had been walking along texting and not looking up and walked more or less head on into the dog as she was collecting the ball,

I got a ball at the club, had a play, brought another dog into the game, at no point did she seem to be protective of the ball, happily giving it to anyone to throw, allowing other dogs to join in and giving way if they got it first, I even let my hair down and walked towards it in the manner of a teenager texting away,, you know the hair slung forward, head bent looking down, I aint got a face type teenager. Nothing, she did kinda slow up and look but not a bad reaction,

I talked to her owner about her exercise which is no where near enough, shes super high energy

the dog is fed bakers complete {could this be making the dog more hyper due to the colourings in it?}

Has the house move triggered this off?

can anyone see a patern in this that im perhaps missing?

why suddenly change at the age she is,, she has been with the owner since a puppy I think ,,

as said I will talk to her more later and check the details

your input here welcomed
I certainly think that the Bakers wouldnt be helping, I've assessed quite a few dogs and quite a few of them have been on Bakers and when I informed the owners of the additives etc in Bakers and the effect it can have on a dog they have been quite amazed. When they then changed their dog to a more decent food, the correct exercise (mentally & physically) those changes alone have made a huge difference.

BC's are a working dog and although this person may of purchased this dog to be a pet, the BC may have come from strong working lines and so the natural instinct for this dog to 'herd' might be quite high and hence why it may of chased/nipped this young girl, the BC may of been herding?

The house move may have also unsettled the BC and may be the cause for this unwanted behaviour.

Steph
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
I certainly think that the Bakers wouldnt be helping, I've assessed quite a few dogs and quite a few of them have been on Bakers and when I informed the owners of the additives etc in Bakers and the effect it can have on a dog they have been quite amazed. When they then changed their dog to a more decent food, the correct exercise (mentally & physically) those changes alone have made a huge difference.

Hi Steph, does bakers have a lot of colourings in it? I dont feed it but from the top of my head I seem to remember it had green bits orange bits in it? I may be wrong,, if not does colouring in the kibble have a similar effect to dogs as say smarties have to kids who are sensitive to colouings?

BC's are a working dog and although this person may of purchased this dog to be a pet, the BC may have come from strong working lines and so the natural instinct for this dog to 'herd' might be quite high and hence why it may of chased/nipped this young girl, the BC may of been herding?

The above explanation I could kind of understand given the breed, {not that im saying its ok for collies to do this but so many that are void of stimulation seem to do this }

but from what I can gather her OH threw the dogs ball, the girl was walking along texting someone on her mobile phone, the ball kinda rolled towards her, the dog went after the ball but as it got there the ball was more or less infront of the girl so the dog shot round the back of her and ripped her jeans,, {I will chat to the owner today again If I get a chance just to confirm what really happend, prob best I chat to her OH as the dog was out with him when it happend }
The house move may have also unsettled the BC and may be the cause for this unwanted behaviour.

Steph
I think the house move has played a part,,, but Im kinda unsure why it should have such a massive effect on her behaviour,, I think prob if I chat to them I may uncover something else,, I just get the feeling there is more involved here than the house move alone.

x
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think the house move has played a part,,, but Im kinda unsure why it should have such a massive effect on her behaviour,, I think prob if I chat to them I may uncover something else,, I just get the feeling there is more involved here than the house move alone.

x
Hi Shona

Yes, Bakers does have alot of colourings in it and green, orange and yellow bits and yes it is the equivalent to giving smarties to kids. Bakers also has a 23% protein level - if I gave my rottie a food with 23% protein he'd be bouncing off the walls and trying to take over the house - my rottie is on a food with 18% protein I did try him on a food (made by the same company) with a slightly higher protein level, 20% I think, and he got very cheeky and gobby and Murphy isnt like that so food can make a huge difference - of course, there are dogs that are on Bakers and they are ok on it but I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole, I have the same opinion of Pedigree.

The fact that the dog was initally in front of the girl but then shot round the back of her and then nipped/ripped her jeans suggests a 'herding' reaction to me, why didnt the dog rip the girls jeans from the front? Working BC's always herd the animals from behnind I think - of course, nipping etc whether the dog is herding or not is wrong but it suggests that the dog may not be mentally stimulated enough so he/she is making up his own entertainment/job so to speak.

I would want to know what the owners do, if anything at all, to mentally stimulate this dog - physical exercise for a BC is sometimes not enough, enough hence why so many of them excel at agility, flyball etc.

Some people dont realise that the smallest of changes in a household can have a huge effect on a dog, especially one as intelligent and sensitive as a BC.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Hi Shona

Yes, Bakers does have alot of colourings in it and green, orange and yellow bits and yes it is the equivalent to giving smarties to kids. Bakers also has a 23% protein level - if I gave my rottie a food with 23% protein he'd be bouncing off the walls and trying to take over the house - my rottie is on a food with 18% protein I did try him on a food (made by the same company) with a slightly higher protein level, 20% I think, and he got very cheeky and gobby and Murphy isnt like that so food can make a huge difference - of course, there are dogs that are on Bakers and they are ok on it but I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole, I have the same opinion of Pedigree.

The fact that the dog was initally in front of the girl but then shot round the back of her and then nipped/ripped her jeans suggests a 'herding' reaction to me, why didnt the dog rip the girls jeans from the front? Working BC's always herd the animals from behnind I think - of course, nipping etc whether the dog is herding or not is wrong but it suggests that the dog may not be mentally stimulated enough so he/she is making up his own entertainment/job so to speak.

I would want to know what the owners do, if anything at all, to mentally stimulate this dog - physical exercise for a BC is sometimes not enough, enough hence why so many of them excel at agility, flyball etc.

Some people dont realise that the smallest of changes in a household can have a huge effect on a dog, especially one as intelligent and sensitive as a BC.
yup, thats my next port of call, finding out about the home life of the dog, when she is walked, where, when fed, how often, yaddy ya da, then compare it to her routine before moving,,, sometimes Its like you have to turn detective to get to the route of things, lol
but as you say,, so often a tweek here or there even the smallest one can have huge benifits to the dog,,and owners,, will update this thread when I have chatted to her,
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I know others here will have a lot more experience but it does occur to me to wonder how the dog views its owner's OH. My last collie had a definite order about who he obeyed me, my son, and then OH.
We regularly walked him past cats with no problems. One day a friend had him and Sam suddenly took off and went for a cat he saw every day .....no warning at all, just out with someone else.
Collies need to know whose in charge. Could he just need reminding of his place in the pack?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I know others here will have a lot more experience but it does occur to me to wonder how the dog views its owner's OH. My last collie had a definite order about who he obeyed me, my son, and then OH.
We regularly walked him past cats with no problems. One day a friend had him and Sam suddenly took off and went for a cat he saw every day .....no warning at all, just out with someone else.
Collies need to know whose in charge. Could he just need reminding of his place in the pack?
Again im not sure, I havent met the OH yet, so cant say who the dog tends to respond better too, though there was a problem in the house when the girl who brought her to training had some friends round and she became snappy and aggressive, she had been there and the dog didnt stop the behaviour untill removed from the room, I think even when removed they dog kept barking from another room, so im not sure if its just a problem with him,
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 07:59 AM
sounds a little like 'pack dominance' to me - you're not part of my pack so bogoff - if this is the case then back to basics and some NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free) would be good as it would bring the dog back to where it shoudl be in the pack order - some dogs naturally elevate their status if given the chance...My rottie, Murphy, can be like this hence why he is not allowed on the sofa, up the stairs, is made to sit and wait before eating, I walk through doors before him etc and my whole fmaily (including the kids) follow the same rules - there no point in just me doing it. It would be interesting to know who does all the training, feeding etc with the dog or do the whole fmaily share.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I totally agree Shona x
Louise83
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Hiya, I am the owner of the Domino dog. I have found your replies and views very interesting and helpful and would like to thank Shona for the effort she is putting in to helping us. The reason my partner and I moved was because we were in a flat and we got a new neighbour across the close, a young guy who thought that it was acceptable to have a party on every day with a Y in it. There was always fights and windows and bottles getting smashed and when I was in the flat just with Domino I was scared, I think that this behavior has stemmed from there. This guy was the first person to feel Domino's wrath and to be honest Greg and I hated him that much we didn't see the behaviour for what it was, we just thought she was being loyal and protecting her home. This behaviour then extended to the guy's friends when she saw them, our male friends and any workmen that were at the flat. Now that we have moved home it is everyone that she doesn't recognise, Gregs aunt and uncle were round the other night and got a taxi home, we all stood at the front door and waved them off, Dom stood wagging her tail and stuff but as soon as the taxi driver came out the car she went ballistic. With people she knows she is the friendliest and most loveable dog but with strangers she turns into a hellhound.

With regards to the excercise, she gets much more in the new house than she did in the flat, she gets more, longer walks, plays in the garden, got loads of parks around us so we take her with one of those plastic things that throws the ball really far. After the incident in the park, we have got Domino a crate for in the house to try to address the dominance problem and a muzzle for when she is off the lead so that we don't have any disasters. But the muzzle means she can't chase balls which is what she loves and gives her the most exercise.

I have changed her food, from Bakers (23% protein) to another one from Pets at Home (18% protein). Greg and I have thought for a while that a lot of the problem is because she listens to Greg but not me, but I have to say that since making the changes, the crate, the more exercise, the muzzle; the food, she is becoming much easier to live with and does things on the first command from either of us and she is getting better at walking on the lead. I am prepared to put a lot of effort into this, I think that we made a rash decision maybe the wrong one in getting a Border Collie but I want to try and make it work so I'm open to all suggestions. I'm taking her to a Behavioural Therapist in Greengaires tomorrow night so hopefully she will offer something different.

Sorry for such a long message, but I felt that I should try to give a bit of background. Louise x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Louise83 View Post
Hiya, I am the owner of the Domino dog. I have found your replies and views very interesting and helpful and would like to thank Shona for the effort she is putting in to helping us. The reason my partner and I moved was because we were in a flat and we got a new neighbour across the close, a young guy who thought that it was acceptable to have a party on every day with a Y in it. There was always fights and windows and bottles getting smashed and when I was in the flat just with Domino I was scared, I think that this behavior has stemmed from there. This guy was the first person to feel Domino's wrath and to be honest Greg and I hated him that much we didn't see the behaviour for what it was, we just thought she was being loyal and protecting her home. This behaviour then extended to the guy's friends when she saw them, our male friends and any workmen that were at the flat. Now that we have moved home it is everyone that she doesn't recognise, Gregs aunt and uncle were round the other night and got a taxi home, we all stood at the front door and waved them off, Dom stood wagging her tail and stuff but as soon as the taxi driver came out the car she went ballistic. With people she knows she is the friendliest and most loveable dog but with strangers she turns into a hellhound.

With regards to the excercise, she gets much more in the new house than she did in the flat, she gets more, longer walks, plays in the garden, got loads of parks around us so we take her with one of those plastic things that throws the ball really far. After the incident in the park, we have got Domino a crate for in the house to try to address the dominance problem and a muzzle for when she is off the lead so that we don't have any disasters. But the muzzle means she can't chase balls which is what she loves and gives her the most exercise.

I have changed her food, from Bakers (23% protein) to another one from Pets at Home (18% protein). Greg and I have thought for a while that a lot of the problem is because she listens to Greg but not me, but I have to say that since making the changes, the crate, the more exercise, the muzzle; the food, she is becoming much easier to live with and does things on the first command from either of us and she is getting better at walking on the lead. I am prepared to put a lot of effort into this, I think that we made a rash decision maybe the wrong one in getting a Border Collie but I want to try and make it work so I'm open to all suggestions. I'm taking her to a Behavioural Therapist in Greengaires tomorrow night so hopefully she will offer something different.

Sorry for such a long message, but I felt that I should try to give a bit of background. Louise x
Hi Louise, so glad you joined, its good to talk to like minded people about problems, there are so many collie owners on the forum, I didnt update the thread on Friday after talking to you, but feel its only fair to do so now,

RE: park incident,

I had picked Louise up wrong with this, the ball rolled up behind the girl who was walking along texting on her phone and I believe moving a tad to slow for Dom's likeing, so I guess given the breed she was doing what collies do with sheep to shift them on a bit {not that this makes it ok, but if does go a long way to explaining the motives}

Louise was very upset over all of the problems, its taken me this long to calm her down, bless. Dom is super smart, so clearly there has been time and effort put into training her, Boobah was telling me about the toy thing were you put a handfull of toys out and tell her to get one,,
she is also super high energy, which I hope we will begin to channel soon,

chin up Louise, things are improving, glad your feeling a bit better about it, I had truely felt for you on Monday night, but the change in your voice when we talked on the phone on Friday made me feel your coping better,
Its by far the end of the world with her, she is so smart,

ps,, have you had the bill for the jeans yet? Knowing your luck they will be megga expensive ones,,lol
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >