View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
It is sometimes difficult expressing things in writing rather than speaking face to face - as I say, I'm sorry that we jumped to conclusions from what we read and that as a result we were less than friendly to start.

It's also worth remembering that people in Britain and Canada have very different ways of living & that sometimes what we consider to be the norm will seem very alien to you and vice versa.

Having said that, I hope you stick around, Dogsey is a friendly place and there is so much knowledge between all the Dogsey members that there is bound to be something you find useful
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by 2countrydogs View Post
Im really sorry to have asked anything at all!!!!

I joined this site, because a friend of mine said everyone was so helpful, I admit, perhaps your responses are insightful, but so far I have had 2 responses, first was an attack to say the very least! and second was slightly less rude!

I have had dogs all my life, and never had a dog intentionally mess in my house. I apologize if I am ignorant to new age training, my mistake!

perhaps this isnt the support group I thought it was!

I rescued a mongrel & she had been living wild for at least 4 months if not longer, so needed housetraining like a puppy as I doubted if she had ever lived indoors.

So I treated her as a puppy, out ever couple of hours, after meals, when she woke up etc. Whenever she went outside I treated her & gave her loads of praise. This isn't a new way of house training, but one I have used for many years(lol yes I am that old)

Never used paper as this confuses the dog & can actually encourage it to go indoors.

I make people laugh by saying I use a rolled up newspaper in training my dogs, every time they make I mistake I hit myself on the head with it to punish myself for not being either observant enough or not training the dog in a way it understands

People on this site are passionate about dogs & their humane treatment, rubbing a dog's nose in it's mess is counterproductive & can lead the dog to eating it's own pooh to prevent punishment or to hide where it goes to the loo

I've got a young BC bitch that I have had for a short while, who was kennelled outside & she still makes the odd mistake if she can't wake me up or get my attention in time. I'm getting a door flap to replace my cat flap so that she will e able to get out whenever she needs to.

I'll be getting her baby brother in January & so will have to start house training him, although I will have the help of my other dogs who will show him by example to go out side as well as having me to praise him

Well done for rescuing your dog, like others have written clean up any mistakes without saying anything & use something like Biological wash liquid to remove all the odours from the mistake area & stay out with the dog outside until it performs then loads of praise & treat.

If you have had dogs before from puppies you may have forgotten what it was like to housetrain them, I know I hadn't had a puppy for 5 years when I got Rjj & nearly forgot to set the alarm during the night to take him out, luckily he did manage to wake me up in time.

I had one BC puppy who only ever had one accident inside & after that took himself outside or came & asked me to go out-he too had the benefit of having other dogs to learn from
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I have another firend who said the same about her dachsie, being hard to train. ( 5 years old before she even SLOWED down having indoor messes )

Some people I know were moving away, and couldnt take her. They said she was outside all the time, only came in at night to sleep in a kennel, ( we live in a very dangerous country area, many predators, cougars, coyotes, bears eagles, hawks etc )

I have never owned a dog that slept in a kennel ( all my dogs slept in my bed, or next to my bed ) Also never owned a small breed dog, and I am noticeing she needs to go out at LEAST a dozen times more often than my big dogs ever did. that is why I bought the kennel, thinking she was more accustomed, and she loves it, she comes in from outside and goes right in, digs for about 10 minutes to fluff up her blanket and curls up like a cat LOL Even when she has played till she wants to drop, she goes in, I never just bring her in and lock her up, I always open the door and within minutes she is in there and past out! lol

The people I got her from are good people, and I suppose calling her a rescue is misleading, maybe interception from the SPCA is more appropriate, I figured I was rescuing her from the unknown. LOL

She does love to be outside, she jumps through the snow like a bunny LOL so I dont think she is afraid of being outside. She has started going outside more ( or maybe i notice more beucase the snow is so revealing )....
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
If she's spent most of her life outside then she doesn't understand inside, after all when outside she could go whenever and wherever she wanted, now she has to learn that inside is a no go area for the loo. From what you are saying she obviously hasn't learnt how to hold on as before she could just have a wee whenever she felt like it.
She has an awful lot to learn so it's going to be a steep learning curve for both you and her lol!
Becky
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Wishing you the best of luck with her, she sounds delightful. can`t wait to see some pics.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Sorry your frustrated, but this needs to be started all over again in my opinion. Firstly if your using newspaper the little one needs to be brought to the paper at regular intervals (say hourly) always use the same word or words ie Be Clean....always have a treat for her, even if she just sits on the paper and does nothing, she needs to know that the paper is good, eventually she will respond. Once this takes place then the paper can be placed outside by the door, then moved further away until she sees going out to be good. Always reward once she's been. If however your starting outside (no paper) then stay out with her/him and reward everytime a wee or poo is done. All this takes time however, some dogs pick up quickly others are a little more longer, but it will fall in place. As for wherever he/she has messed in the house get a cup of Bio Washing powder dilute with a little water and clean thoroughly the area as Bio washing powder takes away the scent. Hope it goes well for you.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by 2countrydogs View Post
Im really sorry to have asked anything at all!!!!

I joined this site, because a friend of mine said everyone was so helpful, I admit, perhaps your responses are insightful, but so far I have had 2 responses, first was an attack to say the very least! and second was slightly less rude!

I have had dogs all my life, and never had a dog intentionally mess in my house. I apologize if I am ignorant to new age training, my mistake!

perhaps this isnt the support group I thought it was!
If you come onto a dog lovers site and say how you abuse your dog by locking it outdoors all day, rubbing it's nose in it, keeping it in a cage all day, then you are going to get people more than a little annoyed. Not everyone can bite their tongue as well as Hali.

In addition, when you use and in your posts, rather than showing you are trying to learn to fix the problem you are showing disgust and hate - another thing that dog lovers will frown at!!

Before you start blaming others, look at how you come across yourself. I have no doubt that if you had posted in a completely different manner you would have got a completely different set of replies. (Although huge respect goes to Hali for the way she posted.)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh forgot to say I have had dogs all my life and I don't use the method of rubbing their nose in it (personal choice) because I believe this does no good, infact I think It makes them worse as they become afraid of you, that then serves neither of you....once more hope it goes well
2countrydogs
New Member!
Female 

12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
If you come onto a dog lovers site and say how you abuse your dog by locking it outdoors all day, rubbing it's nose in it, keeping it in a cage all day, then you are going to get people more than a little annoyed. Not everyone can bite their tongue as well as Hali.

In addition, when you use and in your posts, rather than showing you are trying to learn to fix the problem you are showing disgust and hate - another thing that dog lovers will frown at!!

Before you start blaming others, look at how you come across yourself. I have no doubt that if you had posted in a completely different manner you would have got a completely different set of replies. (Although huge respect goes to Hali for the way she posted.)

I never once said I LOCKED my dog outdoors!!! You must be confused! She has been raised outdoors all her life and its all she knows. I have never had a dog that only stayed outdoors, and used a kennel. ( obviously that makes me terrible ) I said that I find myself wanting her to be in the kennel when she is to be in the house ( from what i hear kenneling is a perfectly respected option by many top breeders, vets and other dog loving enthusiasts )

I already once apologized for my ignorance in dog training, as far as the rubbing the nose in. ( i remember hearing people use this and it working, again, my mistake! )

I assume you were far to interested in ONLY reading my first post, and not reading anything else I posted on this thread, ( or what anyone else posted ) your intention here was to only ridicule me, I suppose you win!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:59 AM
In my opinion your posts have come across like your an extremely argumentative person who doesnt want to listen to anything anyone has to say anyway
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >