Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Hello again,

After reading these forums about introducing new pup to older dog I am now getting a bit worried and confused!

I have a 3yr old Lab X who has never hurt another dog, or creature in fact, in his life. He is the soppiest dog you have ever known! In Oct I am expecting to get my new pup, a girl (I thought that would be best) a Leonberger X. Obviously, at the start she will be smaller and I guess we will go through the puppy play fights and Snoop trying to get control.

What happens when she gets bigger in a few months and overtakes him size wise... I could have quite a nasty job there!

Also, when Snoop has his hackles up and teeth showing, does this mean business for him, is he likely to hurt her? No one has mentioned the physical signs, just the noises. He's not a very vocal dog at all and only ever barks when the door goes and only ever growls at someone he doesnt like (which is not very often at all!).

Sorry to go over it all again!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Adult dogs usually allow puppies a great deal of 'puppy licence', i.e. they let them get away with nonsense and cheekiness just because they are puppies

If the pup gets too pushy and over the top the older dog may put it in its place with a growl, or may hold it down with a paw, or may stand big and tall, or may air-snap, just to teach the pup good canine manners. The pup will understand the other dog's body language and learn what is and what is not acceptable behaviour.

An adult dog will very rarely actually hurt a puppy, but some adults (particularly males) can be rather bewildered by puppy antics. Some may even be a bit scared of them.

Try not to intervene in any 'lessons' unless it looks as though things really are getting out of hand.

Make sure that your older dog has a haven where he can escape from the pup's pestering if he wants to. Also make sure that the pup has somewhere to go if the older dog is being over-attentive

Hackles up does not always mean aggression, hackles up and a snarl is a warning which most dogs will heed. The dog being snarled at will either display submissive body language or it may retaliate - depends on the dog and the circumstances. Does Snoop display the 'hackles & snarl' with other dogs?

ETA Sorry, missed a bit of your post.
When your pup gets bigger I doubt that there will be any problems. Bitches, whatever their size, tend to end up as 'top dog' and the males usually are quite happy to accept this
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I only thought of it the other day... we were walking Snoop at the lake grounds when we came across a very very VERY lively female spaniel pup. She of course was everywhere and jumping up at him. He did the *ahem* usual greeting whereby she pee'd on him. I dont think he liked it much and backed off whereby she started jumping up at him and nipping. After a few minutes of this he put his hackles up and put himself into the 'stance'. I dont think he snarled, he just growled (which was odd because I'd never heard him do that in 3yrs!) If that is the case, I am not going to worry too much now and will let them argue it out when she's a bit older.

Thanks
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2