Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by tuti
Archie doesn't do the half closed eyes thing, but sometimes if I give him a command in a *slightly* firm tone he will shake him head at me

Loki sounds like a right little **** I reckon he is just sooo chilled lying on the sofa
I was thinking about it earlier and I have never seen a Mini Sch or Terrier do it...
they are far too alert/get up and go to want to calm themselves
I wonder if some breeds do it more than others the pastoral breeds in particular seem to do it but they are used to counting sheep

Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-10-2005, 10:26 AM
The 'calming signals' are used to calm and reassure other dogs & humans and usually occur in response to situations in which the dog is unsure/worried/wishing to appease/wishing to signal that he does not represent trouble, etc.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 10:29 AM
So he might well be reassuring me that it's okay, he's nice and comfortable
He just did the same thing on my bed (which he is also not allowed on )
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
So he might well be reassuring me that it's okay, he's nice and comfortable
He just did the same thing on my bed (which he is also not allowed on )
I think he is probably trying to say "I know that you know that I know that I should not be here, but surely you are not going to be unreasonable about me occupying a comfy space that no-one else is using are you?"
Carole
Supervisor

21-10-2005, 10:45 AM
my 2 do the licking faces thing usually after a playfight when one of them has yelped

now I know what it means
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 10:52 AM
mine do that to Carole, things all get a bit rough, they start to scrap a little then they will lick each other all over their faces, mostly mouths...

Just a thought...Is this all why Keena's yawns 10 to the dozen in the mornings, because I am a bit grumpy first thing??...which doesn't help because of how much she keeps loudly yawning so I have to admit I get a wee bit irritated at that...lol...Is she sensing I'm a bit irritated and it is making her do it more??...She is quite a sensitive girl so she does pick up on moods very quickly. I will have to do my best at being a bit more of a morning person (poor Keena )
Meg
Supervisor

21-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
The 'calming signals' are used to calm and reassure other dogs & humans and usually occur in response to situations in which the dog is unsure/worried/wishing to appease/wishing to signal that he does not represent trouble, etc.
ah yes...thank you SB
I said 'unsure' to begin with ..like lip licking...and yawning both observed in Schnauzers and Terriers when they are a little uncertain how to behave in a situation ...but these breeds don't seem to do the long slow blink....
but then when I thought about it more in the context of cats and a repeated long slow blink which is almost like self hypnosis in some breeds birds/animals.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

21-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous

Just a thought...Is this all why Keena's yawns 10 to the dozen in the mornings, because I am a bit grumpy first thing??...which doesn't help because of how much she keeps loudly yawning so I have to admit I get a wee bit irritated at that...lol...Is she sensing I'm a bit irritated and it is making her do it more??...She is quite a sensitive girl so she does pick up on moods very quickly. I will have to do my best at being a bit more of a morning person (poor Keena )
Very probable that she is trying to 'calm' you Mys Rise and shine, bright and cheery in future

I'm not an expert in this field but I do think that there are 'self-calming' gestures which tend to be things like licking paws, other self-grooming behaviour, and various other displacement-type behaviours.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Very probable that she is trying to 'calm' you Mys Rise and shine, bright and cheery in future
I will definitely try harder now...lol
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I think he is probably trying to say "I know that you know that I know that I should not be here, but surely you are not going to be unreasonable about me occupying a comfy space that no-one else is using are you?"
:smt042 :smt042 :smt042
Sounds about right!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >