Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2015, 03:43 PM

Name Changing

I can't seem to get used to calling Kirito (In my previous thread I called him Kazuto.. we debated for a while on which to go with, but we have decided officially on Kirito...Though they are pretty much the same name.) by his new name.

When we first got him we called him by the name he already had, but I really don't like it.
Lately we've been combining the names his old followed by his new name. That's easier for us to remember to call him by his new name, but I don't know if its best for him.

He seems to respond to Kirito... and Kazuto for that matter.. (maybe because it sounds so similar?), but I don't know if he's responding to the name or just to my voice.

Any advice for training us to use his new name? lol
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Say the new name and givea treat , thats worked for me.

My dogs respond to each others names as I muddle them up.
I wouldnt worry too much .
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Dogs will respond to name change ..Pick one stick to it use it often and treat as they respond..

Mind you my farty old beagle who eats rubbish and lounges on my sofa is quite happy to respond when I call him an old scuzzbucket.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Cookie always responded to various nick names, often in different ways. My nephew would call him Chocolate Chip Coooookiieeeee (if that makes sense) and it would start a game of chase. It's amazing how quickly he would pick up on it, but yes a lot should be said about the tone of voice you use, anything inviting will often get at least a glance.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2015, 12:30 AM
When I was a kid I had a party trick involving the family dogs, Henry and Charlie (Cavaliers). I would ask one person which dog to call, and the next for the name of a fruit. I would then call the dog over-and only that one-using only the fruit name. (So I'd be calling 'rhubarb' but meaning Charlie, and Charlie would come while Henry stayed.)
I even did this successfully with my back to them both.
I have no idea how or why this worked, but for these two Cavaliers what name they were called was totally irrelevant, they came if you meant them to.
I think your dog is going to be much less bothered by the delay in finding his real name than you are, it's more important that you are calling him than what you are saying.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2015, 02:50 AM
IMHO it's like naming human children, human or canine you want a name that will roll off the tongue when you yell it across the playground or park. My humans got basic names Dave, Liz. The dogs...If I emphasize the beginning...CALlie, SOPHie that means get over here right now. But I do baby talk and get butt wiggles too. But really a simple name and stick with it.
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2015, 04:37 PM
I always pick unique names for my animals... Though some are from animes or books.

Kirito doesn't really come when called unless he wants attention or I have meat. Lol
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Things are obviously very well now with Mr Wolf, AA. Well done you and your husband for doing so well