Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Unfortunately it is only a book, not a magic wand, and it is more about keeping YOUR dogs safe and well mannered ambassadors then handling others.

As she rightly says, the freedoms we used to take for granted are being eroded due to ill mannered owners who bring dogs into disrepute.
I expect this will be an unpopular comment, but unfortunately ime some rescues also play a part in this by rehoming uncontrolled and aggressive dogs to unsuitable novice owners who cannot safely manage them
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Sounds interesting. I'll probably download it for my Kobo. I'll bet that Cain falls into "misfit" although he could probably fill the bully, chaser, grump, play police and smoosher role too!
He's multi talented!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Ordered! Oh I love my Kindle!

Dagnammit SmokeyB - I've managed to order 2 more things while on there!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Ordering it this morning - but I can't read it until I've finished with Mr Grey
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I expect this will be an unpopular comment, but unfortunately ime some rescues also play a part in this by rehoming uncontrolled and aggressive dogs to unsuitable novice owners who cannot safely manage them
Ah yes I agree. Not only should some dogs NOT be saved/rehomed IMHO and IME (having seen some truly terrible things) but some of the "matches" I have witnessed have been less than ideal.

The one that always stood out for me was an 18 month old male boxer to a very frail, elderly woman................
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Sounds interesting. I'll probably download it for my Kobo. I'll bet that Cain falls into "misfit" although he could probably fill the bully, chaser, grump, play police and smoosher role too!
Actually whilst I was reading this section I found that these descriptions rather worringly applied to me!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Actually whilst I was reading this section I found that these descriptions rather worringly applied to me!
Well I hope you are never allowed off leash in the dog park then
I downloaded it to my iphone last night and read to about 90% before i was too tired, and has nice clear instructions for dim whits like me
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Well I hope you are never allowed off leash in the dog park then
I downloaded it to my iphone last night and read to about 90% before i was too tired, and has nice clear instructions for dim whits like me
It is one of the reasons I like this book (did I say I like it)

She does not say "you should x" without giving you the step by step instructions to HOW to achieve this goal.

I think it is short and concise enough for people to get the message without being overloaded by extraneous "learning theory" and verbiage.

I know SS is seen as radical by some. She is not by me; I find her immensely pragmatic but her messages, like many home truths, are unpalatable to many.

I originally was just going to buy the Train to Adopt book (about how to maximise the chances of shelter dogs being rehomed) but I could not resist this one as well.

I am a bit of a SS groupie I am afraid.......
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Me too! She speaks sense.

It really made me think when she said that as dog trainers/rescue workers etc we had the right to a 'nice' dog as much as anyone else did.

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Me too! She speaks sense.
...........sometimes
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >