Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Title Your Dog via the Internet

Yes, now you can get a "virtual" title on your dog just by sending in a piece of paper saying your dog can do something confirmed by a witness and for the final one a bit of video!

Not sure if this is a very clever marketing tool and money making idea or something for those who may be housebound, a little intimidated about going to classes etc.

What do you think?

http://domorewithyourdog.com/pages/trickdogtitle.html
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Wow - what will they think of next? If of course is it a money making thing..
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Should I see what I can get mine titled , mind you it may encourage more to more with their dogs if they can get things from the comfort of their own home, as they of had bad experiences in training clubs so don't wanna do anymore, and people who don't always have time to go regulary to training classes, but are able to train their dogs at home may find it useful, and people who see it as a easy way to show off their dogs 'qualifactions' might do it aswell. The only thing is I know that people are trying to get regulations on dog training, how can things like this be regulated? Or I wonder whether people will use internet titles as a way to show people what a great trainer they are, and instead of learning dog training get people who don't know to come to them through these things.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Blimey---I missed a trick there!

We need to set up a dogsey title programme with the proceeds going to charity.

Azz?

rune
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:10 AM
A trick title? I don't get it. If it's supposed to benefit people who don't want or can't go to training classes, what training do they do with their dogs?

It was teaching Zane to lie down on command at a distance that saved his life one time a couple of years ago. No tricks. no titles. Just basic obedience training!

I'm not saying people shouldn't teach tricks to their dogs but I believe there are far more important things to train a dog in.

This is clearly a money making scheme. No doubt there will be some who think they have an amazing dog because it can feetcha ball and return to the owner, for example. Whereas for my lot this sort of thing is second nature and I don't expect to have a piece of paper to say I can do it. I already KNOW they are capable of it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
don't dog-games do this too?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
A trick title? I don't get it. If it's supposed to benefit people who don't want or can't go to training classes, what training do they do with their dogs?
you can teach tricks sitting in a chair, you can teach hold, beg, hi-five, paw.....lots!
It was teaching Zane to lie down on command at a distance that saved his life one time a couple of years ago. No tricks. no titles. Just basic obedience training!
which is the starting point for trick training
I'm not saying people shouldn't teach tricks to their dogs but I believe there are far more important things to train a dog in.
I would think most dog sports and also trick training are there after simply building on basic obedience and trick training may well help a dogs life out as much as other training, for example teaching food refusal until its ok'd.
This is clearly a money making scheme. No doubt there will be some who think they have an amazing dog because it can feetcha ball and return to the owner, for example. Whereas for my lot this sort of thing is second nature and I don't expect to have a piece of paper to say I can do it. I already KNOW they are capable of it.
I don't see the problem with someone paying for a certificate if they think it would be a nice memento to have and they can afford it. People get certificates for other dogs sports, good citizen scheme etc etc. Why not for tricks?

For some kids I think it's a great idea, how to interact and bond well with a pet and receive positive recognition etc.

Loui can already do quite a lot of tricks from the book (101 dog tricks) and he really enjoys it!

I am pretty sure its Dog Games that have been doing the online certificate thing for a long time now though, so that aspect of the idea is not a totally new concept.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Blimey---I missed a trick there!

We need to set up a dogsey title programme with the proceeds going to charity.

Azz?

rune
ahh, good idea

Something to look into Azz?

I'm thinking the title would need to be very different to avoid paying a lot out...?
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:28 PM
didnt even know you could get a title for doing a dog trick at all let alone via the internet.

i am also now very tempted to get one for phoebe. can it be for something as simple a giving paw in way of thanks? or the real tricks some of you do such as the stacking rings ect
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
didnt even know you could get a title for doing a dog trick at all let alone via the internet.

i am also now very tempted to get one for phoebe. can it be for something as simple a giving paw in way of thanks? or the real tricks some of you do such as the stacking rings ect
I've not had a good look yet but I think there are three levels (?)

I may have a look later. Nice that its recognised.

I would have thought that level three (if its the harder of the lot) would have stuff like the dumbest dog in the world etc as you would really need to be clued up on your own body language and signals as well as the dogs..since you are basically getting the dog to perform alternate tricks to what you are saying out loud/looking to the audience that you are expecting/encouraging etc

I'll have a better look at some point
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >