Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Have you ever been verbally abused for no reason

Just wondered if any of you can help me out . My rescue English Setter came to me when he was 4yrs, he is now nearly 8yrs. When he arrived he had been clipped so short that he looked like a pointer. He is the most loving and gentle boy, but they did all sort of none english setter thing, he was kept in a kennel, on his own, he was sent away to train, now I know they are stubborn and naughty, but with love and consistency they turn out fantastic. I have tried everything I know and more, he doesn't know how to play, and cannot be encouraged in any shape or form, he also doesn't run and again nothing will encourage him, he is uninterested , lethargic, walks so slow that it is difficult to walk my boys together, but he doesn't want to be left at home, he spends most of the day in his cage, comes out for his food, and when we go for a walk, he will walk for as long as we do, whether it is a short one or we go out for hours, he never plays with Kyesh who is 2yrs. We have had blood test done, they have all come back normal, his thyroid level was 25:3: I would really appreciate your input, as he is breaking my heart, will admit he has one setter trait he is a food thief and a good one at that. Thanks Gayle.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Sorry to read about your setter's problems.
Do you feel he is actually unhappy?

It sounds as if he may have been used to not doing much in his previous life, e.g. kept in kennel on his own and being sent away to train. The last bit bothers me, as unless you know who he was sent to and what they are like, he may have been subjected to harsh methods of training. Some gundog trainers for example use shock collars as a matter of course, and this can lead some dogs to kind of "shut down" and be too afraid to "try anything out". I'm just guessing of course, but it could fit the profile of your dog.

Have you tried anything in particular to help him?
I think learning about something very different, such as clicker training, might be helpful, if you went very slowly. For example, he could be clicked and treated for any small thing he does which is appropriate, and then for "brave" things, and so on. It may take some time, but dogs often learn very well in this way.

If you think there is any underlying anxiety there, you couldl try a DAP diffuser which might help with this.

Other than this, I'd suggest getting in touch with a reputable behaviourist or possibly a trainer, but I think a good behaviourist who uses only modern up to date methods would be helpful in assessing the problem and in being able to give you any clear idea of how to help your dog. Try www.apbc.org.uk or possibly coape.

Wys
x
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Entirely agree with what Wys said.

Just wanted to encourage you can get there, Muffin at 15 yrs old who we rehomed 4 years ago has started to play chases within the last year just from being around different dogs.

With our Totts we rehomed her almost a year ago and she has just started to properly play in the last few weeks.

Both of them just worked it out in there own time when they were comfortable to do so. Positive training has helped both of them tons. Especially with Muffin it has turned her into an excitable pup on training days lol.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know what to say. I just hope you can find a way to make him happy. You sound a very kind, loving person.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
I don't know what to say. I just hope you can find a way to make him happy. You sound a very kind, loving person.
When did you last get the thyroid checked? Six months can make a big difference to the levels. If not done within last 6-12 months i would get them rechecked

Has he had spine xrays done? Reason i ask is there are some spinal conditions which can make a dog reluctant to exercise, play etc - just a thought. They know their own limitations & dont exceed them.

Some dogs at 8 years dont want to be annoyed playing which is maybe something else to think of. Just want to get on with a quiet life.

As the above poster says you sound like a lovely caring person.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for your input. Wys, when I got Jaz, through the rescue, but a direct transfer, dropped off there and then I met them half way, all in the same day, we were told that they needed to rehome him because they were having a 5th child and felt that they could no longer givce him what he needed. ES love children but Jaz backs away from them until he knows them then he just goes and says hello, he spent the first few days curled up on his chair, reiva had his and I have mine, even though he didn't play, wasn't so obvious because he got on well with Reiva, the day Reiva collapsed on a walk, jaz turned his back on him, I had never seen anything like it before, Reiva died the next day. He then took to his cage nothing else changed and hasn't changed it is just that it is more obvious his lack of interaction, the no playing or running was always there. As for the clicker, as soon as he sees it he sits and that is all he will do. He is happy, Kyesh's breeder Thalice mum , says he has been brain washed. He doesn't appear to be in pain, and his thyroid was last checked in November. Kyesh is like a bull in a china shop at times, so I can understand him not playing with him, but I put Ky in his cage sometimes just so Jaz and I can have a play with Jaz, but he just comes and sit in the kitchen, I can wave my arms around or grab a joy but he just isn't interested, but it's more that he thinks he's not allowed. Oh! It breaks my heart, and is ifficult to explain. Thanks for being there it really helps. Gayle. Xx
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately, I do think some dogs can never reach their full doggy potential when they have had a bad start in life. All we can do is make them as happy and safe and contented as we can.

Having said that though, they do get better! I had a rescue who cringed if a hand came near him He is never going to be a cuddle dog, but he does now like a good tummy rub

Does your dog like puzzles? May be an idea to get him thinking and playing on his own terms? (I'm thinking Nina Ottason puzzles btw, not jigsaws)
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:34 PM
We have, treat balls, kongs, round square, bee hive shaped ones, he shows interest for a minute then he just goes to lay down and lets Kyesh have the treats out of both.. I think my problem is that I do so much with Kyesh, showing, training, and he does enjoy a good play, I feel gilty because I can't find anything that stimulates my special boy. When I go to a show, Jaz goes to my friend who has a small holding, and takes him for a 'short' walk up Conwy mountain, he's shattered for 2days after, he has been assessed and pasted for P.A.T. Dog, but there is part of me that thinks he is not well enough, plus Kyesh has a degree of SA. Maybe I should at least get him registered. Thanks again Gayle. Xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I know what you mean Gayle, my Gracie came to me at 2 years old, she had been locked in the wardrobe to keep her out of mischief, I literally threw the money at the woman selling her, despite my friend telling me to walk away as Gracie was in such a state, malnourished and covered in bald spots.

She recovered of course, with lots of love and good food, the vet couldn't believe the transformation when I took her back the following week for a check-up, they had taken photos ready to hand over to the RSPCA in need!

She was a darling girl, full of love but she didn't know how to play, she didn't really interact with the others, when I had the paddock they would play together and lay together but she would take herself off and spend hours just laying on her own...so sad to watch but she was happy in her own little way, she had the most wonderful temperament, loved people and would like nothing more that to curl up onto your lap for a cuddle, she simply was a loner though where the other dogs were concerned.

So long as Jaz isn't in any pain then I think you will find that Maud is right, he has had his spirit broken, and it is so hard to see when one of these fun loving animals that are always up to mischief doesn't follow the same traits of the breed we know and love. I think all you can do is continue giving him the love and attention he is already receiving and know in your heart that you are giving him all that you can, a safe, warm, loving home. xx
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 04:58 PM
poor boy, have you tried using very tasty food and clicker training?

is he any better at the stuffed kongs when he is in his crate on his own with them whilst you are around though?