View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Ok... well here we go.. Training day 1... 1 hour... Sorry for the sideways camera.. I'll try to do better next time Oh and for the terrible state of my patio

Kismet is a very bright girl, but she is like training a whirling dervish Tazmanian devil! Ok... First attempt (with the camera)...

Second attempt... getting better, but as you can see as soon as she gets frustrated she just starts running through everything she already knows... ever wish you hadn't taught high five!

And finally... I'm going to count this as a success for today anyway... She sort of gets it in the end

ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Progress update

Lonnie - Picking it up very quickly, has got the general idea but needs it tidying up a bit as he kind of throws his whole leg at me. We used the holding food in a closed hand method with him.

Cin the JRT was another story - have been through plenty of treats and still no nearer to achieving it.

I think im going to be sat there with food in my closed hand for a looong time - i may want to use something other than cheese next time. sticky uck
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Ok... well here we go.. Training day 1... 1 hour... Sorry for the sideways camera.. I'll try to do better next time Oh and for the terrible state of my patio

Kismet is a very bright girl, but she is like training a whirling dervish Tazmanian devil! Ok... First attempt (with the camera)...

Second attempt... getting better, but as you can see as soon as she gets frustrated she just starts running through everything she already knows... ever wish you hadn't taught high five!

And finally... I'm going to count this as a success for today anyway... She sort of gets it in the end

Awwwwwwwwww bless. I love the noises she makes!
Originally Posted by ALexa View Post
Progress update

Lonnie - Picking it up very quickly, has got the general idea but needs it tidying up a bit as he kind of throws his whole leg at me. We used the holding food in a closed hand method with him.

Cin the JRT was another story - have been through plenty of treats and still no nearer to achieving it.

I think im going to be sat there with food in my closed hand for a looong time - i may want to use something other than cheese next time. sticky uck
Eugh yes...sticky cheese...
Sounds like our house...one doing well, one not so well
Have introduced putting a paw on a football to Cosmo...success..he looked at me as if to say 'easy or what'.... He really is a clever lad, he scares me sometimes.

Tango....well......
When does this challenge end????
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Well done Magpye!
I'm so ashamed
Have so far had 3 short session with Terra who still hasn't mustered the clicker (although it was blazingly hot yesterday) so will continue today and see how it goes Typically rubbish at my own ideas lol!
Becky
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I love this stuff...

Ben has always been a very paw-ey puppy... but today I put 'paw' on cue... He got no C/T except if he gave me his right paw on cue... He did it sitting and laying down... We spent 5 minutes on it... and I'm hoping in the end of the challenge, we might have got 'paw' and 'foot'... That would be sooooo cool

I clicked as soon as his paw was on the way up, because if I had waited, he would have been clicked on the way down, unless I held unto it...

Ben already knows the workings of the clicker... I have been clicker training for years... especially birds...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Max and Murphy haven't faired very well so far!

I have used large plantpots for them to 'touch' however, they seem more interested in the plantpots themselves, or what might be under them

I put the pot close enough that when their paw was lifted and put down, it would be on the pot.

First I asked for a paw, and when it was given, put it on the pot and said 'touch'. So technically the command was 'paw... touch'.

Murphy just didn't get it at all - possibly related to Tango? He snatched his paw away when it hit the pot and gave me his other paw instead

Max was a bit better, and let me put his paw on the pot, give the command etc, but he just left his paw on the pot afterwards. Then when I tried again, he just gave me a paw and completely ignored the 'touch' command.

Oh well.... got a few more days to crack it!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
You lot are doing far better than me lol!
Becky
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Siren is capable of doing the above mentioned Tricks....so my own variation is going to be to get her doing the paw/paw on something with her back to me.

This is something Tassle is very good at, she could generalise and link behaviours very quickly....Siren is not great at this yet.... I have a training session today...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Oh I didnt see this earlier - what a fun idea!

It took Ben about a year to give a paw - but when he did he was targeting everything right away - and could tell between paw (right) and other (left) and both I am slowly working on his hind feet
We also have high 5 and wave, and gimmi 10 from sitting up and on back legs - really more on body laungage than the words

So, as it was what I was training already this week Bens trick with his paws is to cross his left paw over the right one 'Tap'

Mia - I had Ben sitting next to me and asked him for Paw - he did - Mia watched - I did the same to her and she just gave me her paw!! tried other - same - so what took Ben a year Mia figured out in one try!! trying to get her to target this week
she also figured out both really quick too

Look forward to the challanges - what fun
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Day 1 update

Max - sits looking at me like I am mad! He so could do this but think he is choosing to ignore me - more a question of Why do I want to - (think saw Ailsa mention Tango had similiar thoughts!)

Charlie - got it surprisingly but seems to have the brain of a goldfish as within half an hour looked dimly but seems a switch has flickered with him Emily is training Charlie so well done as I thought this was going to be the biggest challenge!

Angus - as he did high five we have had to change this slightly to paw - which he is getting its a question of keeping the same paw now before we move on to 'other'.

Connor - again trying to get him to use the consistent paw before changing to other.

Good luck all keep it going
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »