View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Right, Im now wishing i hadnt just had them all swimming down the river for 2 hours as they are just NOT interested in anything!

I'll let them have a little rest and then try give paw, with both Lonnie and Cin as neither of them know it.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Right...progress update.
I have had one session with Cosmo, where I reminded him of the 'paw' command (not that I needed to) and progressed rapidly onto asking him for the other paw, which we haven't done before ('touch' command)...no probs. Will have nailed it by the end of the day, (he is young, bright and has been clicker trained from the day he came home and LOVES it!)

Tango has now had two sessions.
Hmmm.
I had already 'loaded' a clicker with her...so we went over that and sit...no probs.

I then tried the food in hand, slightly to the side of her (as in the Mary Ray book)...she licked my hand...then she licked my arm, then she licked my hand,then she wagged her tail...then she gave me this look.

This is her 'aren't I lovely why don't you tickle me look'...she made NO attempt to paw my hand, no matter where I put it.
SOOOOOOO
I quickly realised that method is a non starter and tried the good old lift the paw and click...

She isn't even thinking about lifting her paw for me...it is as rigid as a rigid thing and she gives me this look...

Now.....
my problem is I am thinking more and more that she may have worn an ecollar in the past. I am also very aware that she does not want to think for herself at all...ever. Clicker training of course is the complete opposite of what she is used to. She does not want to think (and of course may have been discouraged from doing so in the past...)

Soooooooo..........any ideas????? Shall I just persevere with lifting her paw and hope she cottons on?
All suggestions gratefully recieved
You should just perservere, as I said in my original post it took Bertie quite a while to figure it out, he had been 'conventionally' trained the 1st 3 years of his life and wasn't really into trying things for himself when I 1st started clicker training, but know he loves training and especially freetime.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
You should just perservere, as I said in my original post it took Bertie quite a while to figure it out, he had been 'conventionally' trained the 1st 3 years of his life and wasn't really into trying things for himself when I 1st started clicker training, but know he loves training and especially freetime.
Just did session 3 of the day with her and her little tail went a mile a minute when she saw the treats and the clicker come out!!! Any progress made.....ummmm...nope...

We shall continue!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Success
I've had lots of time with them today... waiting for the man to service the boiler... so its been nice to have something definite to do.
Chip already gave paws and touched so TBH it wasn't too hard to get a wave.
Now I need to find out where OH's hidden the camera so they can wave to you all.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I think pharaoh's traumatised... He's now not sure if 'paw' meant what he thought it meant...

I said paw.. good... other paw... good, then put the flowerpot in front of him... Pat!.. Paw! He looked confused.. he tried lying down.. no... sit.. good... paw... he offered me his paw... good, Pat ( I touched his paw to the flower pot, he withdrew his paw... looked at me and the flowerpot suspiciously... Paw... he went and laid down on the sofa and wont come down... not for chicken, not for nothing.. all too much.

I'll try Kismet
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Right...progress update.
I have had one session with Cosmo, where I reminded him of the 'paw' command (not that I needed to) and progressed rapidly onto asking him for the other paw, which we haven't done before ('touch' command)...no probs. Will have nailed it by the end of the day, (he is young, bright and has been clicker trained from the day he came home and LOVES it!)

Tango has now had two sessions.
Hmmm.
I had already 'loaded' a clicker with her...so we went over that and sit...no probs.

I then tried the food in hand, slightly to the side of her (as in the Mary Ray book)...she licked my hand...then she licked my arm, then she licked my hand,then she wagged her tail...then she gave me this look.

This is her 'aren't I lovely why don't you tickle me look'...she made NO attempt to paw my hand, no matter where I put it.
SOOOOOOO
I quickly realised that method is a non starter and tried the good old lift the paw and click...

She isn't even thinking about lifting her paw for me...it is as rigid as a rigid thing and she gives me this look...

Now.....
my problem is I am thinking more and more that she may have worn an ecollar in the past. I am also very aware that she does not want to think for herself at all...ever. Clicker training of course is the complete opposite of what she is used to. She does not want to think (and of course may have been discouraged from doing so in the past...)

Soooooooo..........any ideas????? Shall I just persevere with lifting her paw and hope she cottons on?
All suggestions gratefully recieved

Try holding the food just above her nose (whilst she is sitting) and then movingit slowly left or right to break her balance a bit, sometimes the foot will come off the floor and you can reward her for that...

Alternatively maybe try luring her into stepping onto something higher up and clicking as the foot comes off the floor. )

Apologies if other people have already suggested these.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I think pharaoh's traumatised... He's now not sure if 'paw' meant what he thought it meant...

I said paw.. good... other paw... good, then put the flowerpot in front of him... Pat!.. Paw! He looked confused.. he tried lying down.. no... sit.. good... paw... he offered me his paw... good, Pat ( I touched his paw to the flower pot, he withdrew his paw... looked at me and the flowerpot suspiciously... Paw... he went and laid down on the sofa and wont come down... not for chicken, not for nothing.. all too much.

I'll try Kismet
If you put your hand on the flowerpot and ask for paw will he doit? If he will, do this a few times, then just as he goes to put his paw on your hand move it out of the way, so he puts his paw on the flowerpot, you can then change the command to pat by saying 'pat, paw', if you put the new word in front of the old they will start anticipating the 2nd word and do it to the 1st.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

I'll try Kismet
Obviously part of Tango's gang! She looks at me as if to say 'why?!!!'
That post did make me smile. Hugs for the boy!
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Try holding the food just above her nose (whilst she is sitting) and then movingit slowly left or right to break her balance a bit, sometimes the foot will come off the floor and you can reward her for that...

Alternatively maybe try luring her into stepping onto something higher up and clicking as the foot comes off the floor. )

Apologies if other people have already suggested these.
I tried it all round her head and she licked my hand (she likes to lick... )
I like the idea of maybe geting her to step....
She does do an excited front paw dance...I could try and use that somehow...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
ramble, you could also try touching the front of her toes if the other methods dont work, if she lifts the foot to move it back, get the click in quick x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
ramble, you could also try touching the front of her toes if the other methods dont work, if she lifts the foot to move it back, get the click in quick x
I did try tickling her toes.... She took the opportunity to lick my head!
I think part of the trouble may be she really likes just being close to you so she isn't particularly focused...of course she has never been trained like this before either bless her.

This could take a while!

Oh.....for a nice little responsive puppy!!! I remember them!
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »