Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Correction collars

http://leerburg.com/xando.htm

Looking through the pics of Xando, there is one photo where the dog is wearing an ecollar, a pinch, and a dominant dog collar - a tad excessive? Or is it to fool the dog so he doesn't know what collar the correction is coming from, and so minds even when he only has one of the collars on?

Just to say, I have a lot of time for some of the advice that Mr Frawley offers, but it is very much a case of picking and choosing for me.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 09:27 AM
When you say dominant dog collar are you talking about the chain with the big links? (like a sprenger?)

The pic where i could see the 3 the big link chain was what the tracking line was attached to with the black line attached to the pinch. I would assume (so far from expert the light from expert couldnt reach me!) that the big link has the line on it and it is not tight to avoid discouraging the dog from throwing itself into the track (when we occasional track we use a harness as harness = pull allowed) and the black line on the pinch is to 'correct' any big deviations/distractions? As for the e collar maybe they had just finished doing something else that required (?) it and hadnt taken it off? Our trainers very high drive working dog has his on pretty much all the time. Nice looking dog I have to say!

anyhoo just my random observation !
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Poor dog... I hate those pinch collars. You see them a lot on the dog whisperer... They look just barbaric, like someone looked at a choke chain and thought 'How can I make this more horrible?'

Can only see the point of E collars to teach complicated training at a distance, but can't help but think shepherds have managed for generations without them. Or shock aversion therapy, such as when CM used one to teach his more curious dogs to be afraid of rattlesnakes. Seemed the only sensible use of one I have ever seen... I mean if you want to really embed a phobia that would seem to be the way to go! But other than for the dog's own safety, keeping out from under wheels and away from dangerous wildlife... ?

That said... He does look like a happy fellow and well cared for.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Dobermonkey - by dominant dog collar I mean the very thin nylon slip collar worn very high up on the neck.

I can see a use for all three of these collars, but was surprised to see them all on at the same time, and wondered why they were all on at once.

Magpye - I pretty much agree with your view on the e-collar, they do have a place in more advanced training sometimes, and to disuade a dog from life threatening behaviour. Having said that, I think that I am more comfortable with using them for stopping life-threatening behaviour than to teach the finer points of, say, a send away, or tracking.

I agree he does look in the best of health and the collars don't seem to be detracting from his enthusiasm.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:20 AM
The site is taking an age to load at the moment with my slow connection, so will have a look in a bit, but from watching a few Leerburg dvds, my understanding is that 2 or 3 collars can be used at one time, so the dog doesn't know which collar the correction has come from, and therefore doesn't associate any particular collar with a correction and learns to mind the handler no matter which collar he is wearing. This is my understanding anyway

I agree with a lot of Ed Frawley's philosophy on dog behaviour and training, but, like you, pick and choose which of his methods I would use with my own dogs. Some of it is rather extreme for me and my dogs. He seems a very likeable and sensible chap to me though, and his dogs certainly like and respect him.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Poor dog... I hate those pinch collars. You see them a lot on the dog whisperer... They look just barbaric, like someone looked at a choke chain and thought 'How can I make this more horrible?'

Can only see the point of E collars to teach complicated training at a distance, but can't help but think shepherds have managed for generations without them. Or shock aversion therapy, such as when CM used one to teach his more curious dogs to be afraid of rattlesnakes. Seemed the only sensible use of one I have ever seen... I mean if you want to really embed a phobia that would seem to be the way to go! But other than for the dog's own safety, keeping out from under wheels and away from dangerous wildlife... ?

That said... He does look like a happy fellow and well cared for.
I agree prong collars look barbaric, but actually I think they are far kinder to the dog than a choke chain.

Personally I don't agree with using an e-collar for standard obedience exercises (which Leerburg promote) but do think they have a place in life-threatening situations - such as when you have a sheep chasing dog.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
I agree he does look in the best of health and the collars don't seem to be detracting from his enthusiasm.
He is a great looking dog. And what ever people may think about Ed Frawley or his training methods, his dogs always look in the peak of physical health and are clearly exceptionally enthusiastic about working with and for him. I wish there were some Leerburg dogs over here, as I would love a pup!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I loathe this site (sorry eta Not Dogsey ).

I can't express how much. I've seen the most appalling, sickening advice on it.

The collar referred to is one that is used to strangle the dog - until it loses consciousness.

Yes, someone actually does this and actually sells the collars and actually recommends them.

It frankly makes me ***** mad.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post

Dogs can look extremely enthusiastic when wearing such equipment, because they are often working hard to avoid punishment and physical discomfort or pain. Unfortunately.

Wys
x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Dogs can look extremely enthusiastic when wearing such equipment, because they are often working hard to avoid punishment and physical discomfort or pain. Unfortunately.

Wys
x

I am sure this is true in some situations, unfortunately, however I have also seen, and met, some very VERY high drive dogs who hardly feel the correction.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »