View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Try bathing the affected area with a warm mild solution of dettol and water and apply sudocreme liberally after drying the area, twice a day, three times initially. It's important she doesn't lick the sudocreme.

You will know within three days or so if that will work for you. I don't know how the weather is where you are, but always ensure to dry off these areas on the dog when coming in from the wet.

For a quick fix in many cases, you can try hydro cortisone cream from Boots, (tell them it is for yourself). Imperative the dog doesn't lick it, it's a steroid cream and can have side effects like thinning of the skin along with a few others.

Hopefully the mild wash and sudocreme will sort it out, sorted it out for one of my dogs for years. Good luck !
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
well the rash came back as soon as we had our walk yesterday, but never went away everytime for weeks now its been gone within an hour of getting home. Ive been and bought piriton and sudocrem gave it to her an hour ago and now the rash has practically gone. Its so weird
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Glad to hear the Piriton is working, coz like I said, it suppresses the immune system so that it doesn't act so violently to everything it comes across it doesn't like, i.e. that grass! She must be walking through some longer stuff on your walk which is touching that area and setting it off. Try giving the Piriton in the morning, then see if the rash appears on the walk instead of when you get back. If the vet has ok'd it, ask him about the maximum dose over a day, so that you know if you can give one 3 times a day - I'm allowed 4 with my 55 kg dog!

I used to use them for a while, then stop when I thought they weren't doing any good, give my dog a break from them, and then start again. NEVER, ever buy those expensive ones which DON'T make them drowsy, they're not good for dogs, you always have to use the cheaper ones which DO make them drowsy (that's the important bit!).

It's not weird at all, I had the very same with my dog, but he's on different medication now for numerous other complaints but I would if needed add them to the list. Good luck!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I think if you are going to warn people against a particular type of drug you need to actually IDENTIFY what it is, as there are several brands of antihistamines and many of them contain varying types of drugs, so which particular drug in your opinion is not safe for dogs?

By that I mean active ingredient rather than brand name of course.

I think that would be most helpful as of course Piriton is merely an expensive brand name and there are own generic anti histamines which are much cheaper and just as safe!

Especially as one of my friends (who is a holistic vet) has not indicated this, and of course vet's advice IS always better than a layman on this subject!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
i use morrisons own brand allergy relief chlorphenamine maleate - 30 in a box £1.52. Ive checked againts the piriton ones that are not 1 a day and are identical.

I know which piriton ones you mean, its the 1 a day ones dogs cant have - or so im told by my vet
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 05:34 PM
The piriton the vet advised us to use are the 4mg ones. We bought a big bottle direct from the vet. They are the piriton branded ones but they buy them in bulk so they were quite cheap.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i use morrisons own brand allergy relief chlorphenamine maleate - 30 in a box £1.52. Ive checked againts the piriton ones that are not 1 a day and are identical.

I know which piriton ones you mean, its the 1 a day ones dogs cant have - or so im told by my vet
Yes, they're the ones. There's loads of different brands out there, but you usually find the ones you don't want are a lot more expensive, but I always check the label for that drowsiness part, so I know I'm safe then. Just check with your vet the maximum daily dosage, and you can spread them over the whole day, and hopefully keep that rash at bay. I did find they stopped working for us after a while, don't ask me why, but after leaving them off for a period of time and going back on them, they worked again. Maybe it's the different times of the year when the grass is more potent perhaps? Good luck, hope you can control that rash.
GoldenShadow1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Dermacton on the cream at least offer a 100% money back guarantee if it doesn't help and can be used for skin complaints and even put on open wounds I think:

http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem...og-canine.html

I bought a tub the other week to try for Rupert who has skin problems. Not yet used it but have heard very good things. Maybe something to try if the rash gets harder to shift or if the sudocrem doesn't seem to help? Nothing besides steroids clear Roo's up normally.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2