Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Khal eating Sasi's poo urghh

Can some-one tell me why hes doing it? I noticed it last night & this morning I let them out of the door as usual right behind them to pick up after them & before I could get anywhere near Sasi, Khal had wolfed it down.....

Bev
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Not good is it We go through phases of it here, but it's usually their own that they take a fancy to. It could be that the food is coming out partly digested so holds the interest, it could be that the one who's doing the eating is lacking in certain vits/minerals, or could it be that Khal is actually hungry?

What about giving him a small little something before letting them out in the morning, maybe a Markie or something, he might feel he needs something in his stomach when he wakes up?

It's a mystery, I wish I knew the answer to it, and I'm surprised it doesn't make them sick! Talking of sick, I do remember Zena used to do this in the mornings when she DID feel sick (I knew coz of that look on her face when she got up!). So I started giving her a dollop of live yoghurt each morning and it did seem to cure it. Good luck, makes you feel sick doesn't it especially first thing in the morning!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Not good is it We go through phases of it here, but it's usually their own that they take a fancy to. It could be that the food is coming out partly digested so holds the interest, it could be that the one who's doing the eating is lacking in certain vits/minerals, or could it be that Khal is actually hungry?

What about giving him a small little something before letting them out in the morning, maybe a Markie or something, he might feel he needs something in his stomach when he wakes up?

It's a mystery, I wish I knew the answer to it, and I'm surprised it doesn't make them sick! Talking of sick, I do remember Zena used to do this in the mornings when she DID feel sick (I knew coz of that look on her face when she got up!). So I started giving her a dollop of live yoghurt each morning and it did seem to cure it. Good luck, makes you feel sick doesn't it especially first thing in the morning!
I think the treat before they go out could be a good idea.The big dogs get fed after their walk on a night time at around 6:30-7pm , then have 2 markies each as their bedtime biscuits then get fed again at about 7:30am.He does trough his food down, but then they all do & go to neb in each others dishes expecting to find food in them ....ermmm not a chance! This lot could eat you outta house & home!

I just text the OH to tell him what Khal had done ...his reply was "I hope you put sprinkles & strawberry sauce on it for him"

He is a big dog to feed, maybe I should up his meal size , its not like hes gonna pile the weight on as fast as Ruby does!!!

Thanks hun, I'll see how he gets on tomorrow morning being fed 1st.

Bev x
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Ok am a bit mad here at the mo. My lil lad is 7, hes just gone in the kitchen to get an apple & Khal jumped out of his bed & pounced on his back (Khal is twice the height of YS when hes on his back legs) to get the apple...Khals just had breakfast & double the amount he normally gets.

Theres a red mark on my YS back & hes a bit upset but other than that am sure he'll live.
I have no clue what to do. Do you think he could well need worming? I dont know a great deal about his history.

Thanks, Bev
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Ok am a bit mad here at the mo. My lil lad is 7, hes just gone in the kitchen to get an apple & Khal jumped out of his bed & pounced on his back (Khal is twice the height of YS when hes on his back legs) to get the apple...Khals just had breakfast & double the amount he normally gets.

Theres a red mark on my YS back & hes a bit upset but other than that am sure he'll live.
I have no clue what to do. Do you think he could well need worming? I dont know a great deal about his history.

Thanks, Bev
with kids and puppies and poop eating u cannot overworm,so i would,but i think he is pushing his boundaries (honeymoon period starting to wain)and being a young opportunist (which most dogs are)imo he needs to learn some manners....i wouldnt hark on about his past,tis the future that is important.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Yea needs to learn some manners and bounderies, honeymoon period is over. As for the poo eating, there are a lot of theories, but maybe a simple way to stop it before it gets a habit, I had this problem with mine, I tried a lot of over the counter things, didn't really work, plus the expense, so went online and one person suggested pineapple, so I tried it, it works for mine, just a chunk or two during the day and they don't want to eat it anymore. It is something that makes the digested p'apple that is not attractive to the dog. Hope you YS is OK, and managed to get his apple, without more hassle, and yes worming your dog may well be the answer if he is that hungry. Gayle
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Pereg used to wait, poised, behind my Little One, ready to catch it while it was still warm.

Ugh.

Tried all sorts of "remedies" but she only stopped after my LO died. And then she started eating her own.

Ugh.

Not fresh, but any of her poos that have dried out before I have been able to do the poo sweeping, when they are rock hard lumps of - poo.

Vet now says to ignore it as it will not harm her and she is not really fanatical about it - but it really is A Good Thing that she is not a face-licking dog...

Ugh.

Bev, like others I think Khal is now pushing his boundaries, and being such a big [and beautiful] lad he need to learn [1] eating poo is a no no and [2] jumping on people, all people not just your YL, is a No No.

He will learn, I am sure he will. But you will need to be strong so that he understands a no no and a No No.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
with kids and puppies and poop eating u cannot overworm,so i would,but i think he is pushing his boundaries (honeymoon period starting to wain)and being a young opportunist (which most dogs are)imo he needs to learn some manners....i wouldnt hark on about his past,tis the future that is important.
Thanks Tupac, I'm trying to teach him manners by rewarding good behaviour & ignoring bad ie the fence jumping scenario, if he goes near the fence but not over it I'll give him treat & praise him. If he goes over it I open the gate & dont say a word to him even hes sauntered back out again.
It will take him time I know that & yep he is pushing every boundary & i know it must be alot for him to take in but my honeymoon period is over too & hopefully he'll start realising that
Been to vets in lunch hour & got him some Drontal, heres hoping it does something for him.

Originally Posted by footsieG View Post
Yea needs to learn some manners and bounderies, honeymoon period is over. As for the poo eating, there are a lot of theories, but maybe a simple way to stop it before it gets a habit, I had this problem with mine, I tried a lot of over the counter things, didn't really work, plus the expense, so went online and one person suggested pineapple, so I tried it, it works for mine, just a chunk or two during the day and they don't want to eat it anymore. It is something that makes the digested p'apple that is not attractive to the dog. Hope you YS is OK, and managed to get his apple, without more hassle, and yes worming your dog may well be the answer if he is that hungry. Gayle
Thanks Gayle, yeh YS was fine probably more shocked than anything but hes a tough lil cookie!
I'll try the pineapple 1st & see how we get on

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Pereg used to wait, poised, behind my Little One, ready to catch it while it was still warm.

Ugh.

Tried all sorts of "remedies" but she only stopped after my LO died. And then she started eating her own.

Ugh.

Not fresh, but any of her poos that have dried out before I have been able to do the poo sweeping, when they are rock hard lumps of - poo.

Vet now says to ignore it as it will not harm her and she is not really fanatical about it - but it really is A Good Thing that she is not a face-licking dog...

Ugh.

Bev, like others I think Khal is now pushing his boundaries, and being such a big [and beautiful] lad he need to learn [1] eating poo is a no no and [2] jumping on people, all people not just your YL, is a No No.

He will learn, I am sure he will. But you will need to be strong so that he understands a no no and a No No.
Thankyou malka, am trying to teach him jumping up gets him nowhere, like when he does jump up i turn my back & ignore him. When he stops & sits down or just waits then I praise him. Itll take alot of time & effort but am sure he will get there eventually

Bev
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh dear, naughty Kahl !!
he never did that here, so it could possibly be worms? we did worm him though, but likes othes have said, can never overworm.

He used to jump on my OH's back alot too, not for food, only when we came home, so i think thats a habit he needs to learn not to....

also he was never ravenous here hun, as i said i'd leave bowls down because my 2 don't rush and often dont eat in the morning, mikey wasn't interested in food much here, so im thinking worms! (unless your foods super tasty compared to my lots boring dry CSJ kibble ) xx
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Oh dear, naughty Kahl !!
he never did that here, so it could possibly be worms? we did worm him though, but likes othes have said, can never overworm.

He used to jump on my OH's back alot too, not for food, only when we came home, so i think thats a habit he needs to learn not to....

also he was never ravenous here hun, as i said i'd leave bowls down because my 2 don't rush and often dont eat in the morning, mikey wasn't interested in food much here, so im thinking worms! (unless your foods super tasty compared to my lots boring dry CSJ kibble ) xx
Hey hun Hes starting to learn with the jumping up thing.
Theres so much to teach him , so much he needs to learn but little & slow is the best way or am gonna overload his system LOL If only the OH understood he needs the time to know right from wrong & that Khl is learning the boundaries.

Am so so chuffed with him learning 'down' from standing up these last few days...He is such a clever dog, I just need to channel his energy to something constructive is all.

I got him drontal today from the vets so hes had that now I'll see how the little starver goes in the next few days

Oh & tonight when I came in from work, I let the girls out in the garden first & kept him in for his tea, brought them in while he went out to pee & picked sasis poo up at same time....hopefully thatll work nicely

Bev xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >