View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I am not so sure---there is massive discontent over the health policy----a lot of middle class americans don't want their money going in welfare or health bills for the poorer.

rune
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Airtight Kennel? I would be interested to know how that works!

Here in Cyprus it is not at all unusual to see dogs riding in the back of open back trucks - tethered or untethered. And down in West Cornwall, it wasn't unusual to see a dog AND KIDS riding on the back of an open truck!

In fact the council 'dog team' takes them away like that - double ended rope tied round dog neck and the ends tied to opposite corners of the truck.

I am not in any way condoning what he did. But it does go to show the lengths opposition politicians in US will go to to dredge up something to discredit a candidate. And how far back in their lifetime they will go to find it too.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Ok, I am going to be honest...

I don't agree with what he did, but it was nearly 30 years ago... I assume the dog was ok after it (I did hear he was a bit sick though, but we don't the reason for that)... It seems to have created some amount of fuss...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 12:52 PM
It has been in the news since January at least so it isn't new. I am sure they have other stuff on him---in fact i think it was one of his own party candidates who brought the dog on the roof up originally during their selection process. Which probably does more damage than than anything the other side does!

rune
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney might have his hands full with PETA and other animal lovers after events involving his family dog from over 20 years ago resurfaced.

Apparently, Romney took his family dog, an Irish Setter named Seamus, on a 12-hour car trip in 1983 tied to the roof of his car in what is being dubbed the "Mitt Romney dog on roof" incident.

Since when has Peta Been animals lovers
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Ok, I am going to be honest...

I don't agree with what he did, but it was nearly 30 years ago... I assume the dog was ok after it (I did hear he was a bit sick though, but we don't the reason for that)... It seems to have created some amount of fuss...
I was just at my dad's and watched the video. The dog rode ontop of the car in that kennel many times and went up into it by himself. He liked his kennel in his home as well. The diarrhea on that one trip was because he had the runs from stealing part of a turkey (thanksgiving trip?). It was quipped that there were five young children in the car and the dog probably enjoyed his kennel space much better than being in a car with five squirmy kids.

I travelled (moved) in a car (station wagon) with 2 adults, 6 kids, a cat, a dog and two turtles for 3000 miles back in 1970. I believe our dog would have loved being in a kennel on that trip, rather than with the crowd inside, so I laughed at the quip.

I am not in any way condoning what he did. But it does go to show the lengths opposition politicians in US will go to to dredge up something to discredit a candidate. And how far back in their lifetime they will go to find it too.
I agree this is dredged up, and I wouldn't have had trouble with this action AT THAT TIME. Times have changed as has our societies attitudes toward animals.

AT THAT TIME there were much larger battles to be had.

AT THAT TIME I knew of plenty of breeders that were still bucketing puppies for mismarked colors.

AT THAT TIME I knew of plenty of working dog owners and show dog breeders that shot or otherwise disposed of dogs when they aged out or were no longer of use.

AT THAT TIME I used to argue these practices shouldn't be acceptable and had enough blowback from others to know that a huge portion in our society believe they still were.

I know that these activities still go on but as they are less acceptable they are now hidden. I was advised by a Cocker breeder not six years ago about 'which' breeders in show Cockers were still culling newborns. The husky incident in B.C. last year points out that some still shoot dogs following their perceived usefulness, and that is not isolated to Huskies, as you can talk with those into Greyhounds and those into Hound hunting packs down south and find the same still goes on.

For the sake of clarifying historical attitudes, this is a dog trailer patented and designed in 1975 in Florida.

Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Since when has Peta Been animals lovers
Good to point that out as they are dispicable animal killers. The German high court found the organization guilty of skinning animals alive. Greenpeace has done the same - so they could get it on film - plea for donations.

http://resourceclearinghouse.blogspo...ned-alive.html

My sister was a member when PETA was first establishing itself in the 70s. This was before the difference between animal rights and animal welfare was acknowledged and I'll happily admit to always being concerned over animal welfare issues. I had the 'privilege' of getting to know some that were the most radical - members of he Animal Liberation Front. Scary, scary insane people happy to steal dogs out of yards and 'free them' because - OMG - their owners went to work and left them without company!

I am not so sure---there is massive discontent over the health policy----a lot of middle class americans don't want their money going in welfare or health bills for the poorer.

rune
My perception is that they don't want their money going to those that will milk the system and the large beaurocratism that is a health system that bleeds money for very little result. As a Canadian I believe I can speak a bit to that cuz our system is so incredibly ineffective with regard to cost. There are many countries that have better that use both gov't and private providers.

As a nation, per capita, Americans are tops with regard to donated moneys to charities - they just don't like doing it through the gov't where much gets siphoned off. They are far from non-charitable.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/24/ame...1226eaves.html

Ruby
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Interesting link Thanks
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I can't stand Mitt Romney or the vast majority of candidates that were in the running for the republican candidacy this year.

I'm not surprised he did this sort of thing considering he also supports a number of laws that both oppress and endanger hundreds of thousands of people.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2012, 09:23 PM
. . . he also supports a number of laws that both oppress and endanger hundreds of thousands of people
Opress and endanger are strong words. Which laws are you speaking of? I haven't been following too closely.

Ruby
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Opress and endanger are strong words. Which laws are you speaking of? I haven't been following too closely.

Ruby
I'll PM you, would rather not run the risk of turning this into a political debate
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2