Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Also you find thats its instict for some gundogs to go under thick gorse etc to flush game after all thats what they where originally breed for and it seems to be inherant even in my show dogs.
The problem is with a full tail it can become tangled and get cut and bleed.
Yes, but what i'm saying is not *just* gun dogs try and flush animals.
As said before, my Bullmastiff does it.
As Ramble said, her dogs do it too.

Our animals have never hurt themselves.

As for the CDB website, i've seen it many times, and as I said before, i'm not against docking.
But I don't see why a 'non-working' GUN DOG is any more likely to be hurt than any other dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Yes but a Bullmastiff doesnt use its tail at a thousand miles an hour!
Dawn.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Luke, I`m a long time member of the ADA and have heard [ and seen ] it all before. You seem unaware of the facts of pain, if you have not read the Wansborough report, I suggest that you do - and don`t just dismiss the cold hard facts because they don`t suit [ that goes to all who don`t realise whats really involved ].
I have seen far more dogs suffering - yes suffering, and needing life long vet treatment - as a result of being docked than of injuries sustained by `traditionally` docked *and* undocked breeds combined.
I guarantee you my Lurchers tail is at far more day to day risk than any Spaniels when its working, [ a working Spaniel I mean not my Lurcher, he does`nt do that sort of thing ].

There are very easy ways to prevent injury - clip the tail feathers so they don`t get caught in brambles etc [ though none of my dogs with far easier to get caught tails ever have done...], or wrap tails for protection before taking them out, just those two options would make a huge difference for genuine working dogs.
The other option of course is not to work dogs in such alledgedly potentially dangerous situations.

The fact is, humans have had this choice for far too long, finally the choice is where it belongs - with the dogs. If they don`t want their tails, no doubt they will chew them off and if they don`t, then *their choice* is pretty clear

I was going to bring up the Wansborough Report Patch, yet your post as said everything I wished to far better than I could of phrased it.

WELL DONE!

What an excellent post, im glad others are in the same mind as me, I dislike docking with a passion, after all if a dog didnt need a tail it wouldnt be born with one.

I just wanted to add, I do respect the opinions of others, yet lets agree to disagree on this matter.
Zanny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I am for the docking ban. . . . . the dog uses the tail to commicate with other dogs in so manys ways. It would be the same as humans not having facial expressions. If a dog wasn't meant to have a tail . . . .it would be born without a tail.

Well thats my short opion!!!
Doggielover
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-11-2006, 08:24 PM
PM'd you Dawn R
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:27 PM
gundogs tails are also heavily feathered which catches
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dawn.
my flattie does though and so, to be honest, does my BC and Xbreed, particualarly the latter! Axxxxx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Dawn.
You should try saying that after being hit with it!
She really does!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Springers have a unique way of working, not akin to any other breeds, except perhaps Cockers, very similar of course. A Bully in the bushes isnt the same, but a whack of Teagans tail would be like a whip!!! I know what you mean.

Springers are small and work low to the ground, where the cover is thickest, their tail takes a hammering constantly, its not like a Setter or Retriever. I have yet to see a Setter or retriever under a hawthorne bush pushing game through it, pushing their heads in and wagging the other end outside the cover yes, but not going right through it, I wouldnt mind being proved wrong though!

Setters, and Retrievers and the HPR breeds to not frantically wag, their tail is at far less risk, although when long they do damage it quite easily. Pointers, setters etc keep the tail rigid when pointing, my Border Terrier does this also.

The Spaniels style of work is frantic and at speed, a long tail is ridiculous.
Dawn.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 10:21 PM
The Spaniels style of work is frantic and at speed, a long tail is ridiculous.
Dawn.
I don't disagree Dawn.

The point earlier though was that only gun-dogs (non working) do this, when in fact, a lot of breeds do similar things when out (not working).

p.s. Love the pic you posted!
Page 14 of 51 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »