Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
well I for one would like proof! i would have thought anyone who respects the life of an animal would want to know its body hasnt been discarded like a piece of rubbish!...and we are talking thousands upon thousands of bodies here.

Look,we're going to have to agree to disagree because i know you've been reading every morsel of info on LACS website and obviously been suckered into believing it so theres no point in carrying this further.

Have a good evening!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Look,we're going to have to agree to disagree because i know you've been reading every morsel of info on LACS website and obviously been suckered into believing it so theres no point in carrying this further.

Have a good evening!
lol oh dear is that the best you can do

moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Pheasant shoots are not a sport imo, I have nothing against people eating meat etc but I don't like animals being terrorised and dispatched in a cruel way.

After being shot the pheasants are virtually worthless, my sister has witnessed a group of pheasants cornered and being used as target practise just because they could, real men, I don't think.

We do sell pheasants at work, you can also buy squirrel and hares, which I find abhorrent! We sell rabbits and pigeons too, at least they aren't chased to their fate.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 08:04 AM
I wonder if anyone who is completely against any type of hunting/shooting has ever witnessed what goes on in abattoirs on a daily basis - (plenty of clips on-line). It often doesn't make for comfortable viewing.

I eat and enjoy meat. I want the animals to have as good a life as possible and as quick and humane a death as possible - both can happen in farmed and wild animals/birds. I don't really see how anyone who eats meat can complain about shooting.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Theres no difference between this and commercial shoots to be honest.
Morally at least, there is IMO. The lone hunter, the rough shooter, is shooting purely for his and his family's table. The commercial shoot is entirely different, it is shooting for pleasure, for the "thrill" of what IMO is a far easier, almost a sitting, target. The skill required in the former far, far outweighs the skill involved in the latter. I can think of nothing better than going out on my own with my trusty labrador to try and pot a couple of rabbits or a few pigeons for my table, were I not able to purchase these from the local game dealer. Thankfully, I am lucky enough not to have to do this, but I would have no qualms in doing this if I had to. I don't like killing anything, and I would get no kick out of the kill, merely that I was going to enjoy a hearty meal which I had hopefully killed cleanly, and treated with the respect that they deserved.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Thing is-do they need to prove anything?

Like i said previously though,game is eaten round here-our local farmshop buys & sells game.They buy anything like hare,pheasant,boar,woodpigeon,rabbit and is where i offload what i shoot so there still is a market for it.
I thought it was illegal to shoot hares? As lovely a creature as they are, I must admit to being very partial to a bit of jugged hare. I work in MK, so a trip to the game dealer in Bedford wouldn't be out of the question for me. Are they in season at the moment?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I thought it was illegal to shoot hares? As lovely a creature as they are, I must admit to being very partial to a bit of jugged hare. I work in MK, so a trip to the game dealer in Bedford wouldn't be out of the question for me. Are they in season at the moment?
Perfectly legal to shoot hare,but this is where it gets a little complex.Because they're classed as ground game they can only be sold when in season,but because they cause crop damage they can be shot anytime of the year.So if you shoot one out of the game season-you cannot sell it.Rabbit is also classed as ground game,but these can be shot and sold anytime due to being a prolific breeder and their numbers need reducing.

Muntjac deer have equally odd regulations.Although covered by the deer act with you needing a minimal rifle calibre (.223) and expanding ammunition-they can be shot anytime of the year because they too are prolific breeders.

Canada geese can be culled anytime of the year,but only with non toxic shot and you cannot sell them full stop!

See,told you it was complex!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
]

mucky pups!

it doesnt take a genius to work out there are going to be a lot less foxes where predators are ruthlessly controlled

but millions of birds over here are also kept in dreadful battery conditions,... the last government had put in place a ban on battery cages for gamebirds, but when the condems got in their 'animal welfare' minister overturned it! ...along with banning wild animals in circuses..etc, yes hes proved he really cares about animal welfare alright
You are barking up the wrong tree, although you won't find many trees on a grouse shoot tbh, but grouse are all natural, they do not buy in poults to release. They also do not feed birds in the same way as on other shoots, the reason the grouse stay, is because the grouse moors are managed to ensure it's a good environment for them, which does include predator control, but as I've said, I walk my girls on a grouse moor and they regularly roll in fox poo.

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Pheasant shoots are not a sport imo, I have nothing against people eating meat etc but I don't like animals being terrorised and dispatched in a cruel way.

After being shot the pheasants are virtually worthless, my sister has witnessed a group of pheasants cornered and being used as target practise just because they could, real men, I don't think.

We do sell pheasants at work, you can also buy squirrel and hares, which I find abhorrent! We sell rabbits and pigeons too, at least they aren't chased to their fate.
So hanging birds up by their feet, electrocuting them, and whether they're dead or not cutting their throats, is a better way of killing the birds we eat? Of course they're not chased to their deaths so they obviously feel no pain or terror?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I completely fail to see the logic in how shooting game birds is sick but killing a bird in a factory by people who are merely doing a mindless job is ok?!

If my OH went out right now and killed one of our free range chickens for dinner, would that be ok? How is that better than raising pheasants and then spending a whole day trying to find them before you can eat it? If we kept some pheasants here and ate them but didn't actually get involved in the hunting aspect, is that acceptable?
I shall ask this again, anti hunt people - if we raised pheasants here and dispatched them without actually hunting them, would that be ok with you?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
Tarimoor;2595608]You are barking up the wrong tree, although you won't find many trees on a grouse shoot tbh, but grouse are all natural, they do not buy in poults to release. They also do not feed birds in the same way as on other shoots, the reason the grouse stay, is because the grouse moors are managed to ensure it's a good environment for them, which does include predator control, but as I've said, I walk my girls on a grouse moor and they regularly roll in fox poo

lol i know grouse arent kept in battery conditions, i was talking about the millions of pheasant and partridges ....

so how do you feel that millions of gamebirds are kept so inhumany here in the UK? how do you feel that this government overturned the ban on keeping them in these dreadful battery conditions? and what are your thoughts on the people who support shoots that buy their poults from such appaling places??

So hanging birds up by their feet, electrocuting them, and whether they're dead or not cutting their throats, is a better way of killing the birds we eat? Of course they're not chased to their deaths so they obviously feel no pain or terror?

poor animal welfare is all wrong! all animals bred for the table should be killed as humanely as is possible...but lets be honest, gamebirds arnt bred for the table they are primarily bred as target practice...dont forget the clue is in the name ...blood 'sport'.

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I shall ask this again, anti hunt people - if we raised pheasants here and dispatched them without actually hunting them, would that be ok with you?
pheasants arnt a popular meat so farming them like domestic species wouldnt be profitable, so doubt it will ever happen...that said i wouldnt agree even if it was, keeping a wild animal in farming conditions no matter how high the standard, is wrong..& dont forget many breeding gamebirds are already kept in the very worst battery farming operations.

by the way im not 'anti hunt' per se, i think people who hunt sustainable 'true' wild game such as rabbit and pigeons are great, unlike gamebirds killed for shoots, the meat is eco-friendly and the animals have lived a 100% natural life.
Page 30 of 31 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 >