View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:25 PM

It's getting to that time of year again.....

Just saw this on my local news site and although I know we're all aware of the risks I just thought I'd post it as a reminder of what can happen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-13009526

My car has been reading up to 32 degrees standing temp this week and although most of us don't associate April with being classed as summer or being that hot temperatures in the car can significantly rise.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
i was in weymouth (a sunny seaside town) a couple of years ago and a dog had been left in a car in a car park, i didnt see what went on but it looked like someone had broken the back window or the police that were there had broken the window, just glad someone broke the dam window.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
i was in weymouth (a sunny seaside town) a couple of years ago and a dog had been left in a car in a car park, i didnt see what went on but it looked like someone had broken the back window or the police that were there had broken the window, just glad someone broke the dam window.
I'm glad they broke it too - it amazes me how people can be so stupid as to leave a dog in a car in hot weather.

My work colleague has a special car crate that is attached to the boot hatch and allows it to be left open but with the rest of the car being locked. They still hardly ever leave the dog in the car but if they need to they park in the shade and can leave the boot open for air to flow in.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Good post mate, always good to get a reminder out about how quick it can happen.

Helen54's post will always stick in my mind about how quick a dog can go down with heatstroke.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 09:38 PM
I saw a distressed-looking panting dog left in the car when I was at Waitrose on a hot day once. I went in and asked the customer service lady to announce it over the tannoy (I wrote the car reg down). I also left a note on the windscreen about how cruel and thoughtless they were!

I am sure most people do not need to take their dog along on a trip to the supermarket. Apart from anything else we have had dogs stolen from a car parked in a Tesco's in Norfolk.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Good post mate, always good to get a reminder out about how quick it can happen.

Helen54's post will always stick in my mind about how quick a dog can go down with heatstroke.
I don't always think people expect it to happen at this time of year simply because it's April and people assume "it's not that hot in April".

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I saw a distressed-looking panting dog left in the car when I was at Waitrose on a hot day once. I went in and asked the customer service lady to announce it over the tannoy (I wrote the car reg down). I also left a note on the windscreen about how cruel and thoughtless they were!

I am sure most people do not need to take their dog along on a trip to the supermarket. Apart from anything else we have had dogs stolen from a car parked in a Tesco's in Norfolk.
It's sad that people forget how hot the car can get in spring and summer. This week has been a massive reminder to me that it is not even worth risking leaving Mont in the car for 5 minutes. In the winter we do with the windows open but even then it's only for very short periods of time.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
I really do hate seeing dogs left in cars

Also don't like seeing dogs tied up outside shops in the heat xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I really do hate seeing dogs left in cars

Also don't like seeing dogs tied up outside shops in the heat xx
It was quite warm here today - left the dogs at home. Safer & cooler!

Thats a gripe of mine - dogs tied up outside shopping centres.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 08:45 AM
One of these days I will go out with stickers and stick them on all dogs tied up outside shops, saying

''did you see me stick this on your dog? No. That's how easy it would be for someone to steal it!!''
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 01:21 PM
We're gonna have problems with this in June when my hubby has to drive to Germany with Rupert. We've got barriers so we can leave the windows open and he'll only be left for as long as it takes for hubby to pay for fuel or go to the bathroom but it still worries me. Thankfully the longest leg of the trip will be done at night so it shouldn't be too bad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >