Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 09:41 AM

If you could go back in time....

...would you try and change history?
I was thinking about this when watching the MJ stuff on the telly and thinking if I was a friend of his and at what point I'd tell him he didn't need any more surgery. Then I thought well what impact would that have had if he had heeded said advice. Would he have continued being a mega star causing other singers to fail and not have the success they had as a result of his fading, would he had have had his children etc etc.
So if you could go back what would you do?
Becky
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 10:03 AM
If I could go back in time, I'd probably try and stab Hitler in his sleep!

And on a selfish note, I'd have never gone to London and met my ex wife on that fateful day.

I also would have spent the last 2 years of my mum's life with her everyday and not have gone to uni xxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Would you not be concerned about the consequences of these 'actions' for want of a better word! After all do we know the world would be a better place if Hitler hadn't done what he did? It could have turned out for the worse?
Becky
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Possibly, but we'll never know and I'd have loved to have been able to save all those innocent people from that torture. x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I understand, same as with any genocide, but if Hitler hadn't done what he did, would we have this attitude today?
Becky
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:47 PM
No, nothing would I change..

though we don't know why at the time, I do believe everything for a reason.

For instance, if hubby had never had his accident at work, I would never be doing the job I am now, would never have helped the people I have - he wouldn't be teaching now and we may well not have been in this house..
so though it was devastating at the time to be told he'd be crippled within two years - would I change it ? NO.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Life is all about such thin threads, the decisions we make every second that leads from one moment to the next...........oooooooooo......in danger of getting a bit over philosphical!

I take the point that something that seems bad at the time leads to better things in the future, but I think there are some things that have never led to anything good really.

Take 9/11, that has led to invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan the latter appearing to be an ongoing battle that will continue for goodness knows how long. Has it really achieved anything and if 9/11 hadn't happened would either of these invasions have taken place.......or would the world be a worse place had they not happened? Would the London bombings have happened?

I've confused myself now....soz! And think I may be going a bit OT.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't change anything I have done, as I have learnt valuable lessons.

But if I could stop wars and fighting and of talked to the ones that started it, I would of loved to have stopped them.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 08:16 PM
World wide wise...don't think I would change anything - there are some horrid things that have/are happening, but sometimes things have to happen.

Personal note...again - not sure. I would like to have a better relationship with my father but each time I try it knocks me harder when I fail......I think that has to be a 2 way thing ...maybe I could have done something different - it is often somthing I contemplate.

ETA - Stephen Frys book....Making History - is an interesting read...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't change anything, because I believe everything happens for a reason, there are some things i'd be very tempted to change and in my own personal life, just one thing i'd find it very hard not to do differently but as hard as it may be, nope, wouldn't change a thing.