View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2012, 09:49 PM
When I had a gynae op about three years ago now in the day surgery and it was on Christmas Eve, I had a brilliant experience, staff were absolutely wonderful, the theatre staff were brilliant, I couldn't fault it at all, I was very lucky, but don't think I will be this time.

Thank you all for your replies.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I did find quite a marked difference between being a day patient and an in patient though. On the day surgery ward there were lots of nurses and always someone available but as an in patient nurses were very scarce, I rarely saw one at all and waited hours to have my drip changed after the doctor authorised it. In fact he came back and did it himself in the end. Buzzers went unanswered until the entire ward was woken up too. Some things just amazed me, like being woken at midnight to be weighed in a wheelchair contraption Gawd knows why it was so important to weigh me that they had to wake me up to do it. For three days I couldn't even sit up in bed so they made me get up and sit in a chair, I felt so ill I made Iain help me back into bed.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by toobendy View Post
yeah i put a complaint in more because of that poor woman left so long she couldn't hang on any longer then left to sit it in for 1/2 an hour. of course i just got a letter back that made all sort of excuses most of them really lame excuses. if the staff were really busy, if the ward had been understaffed i wouldn't have been so appalled but because on all but one occasion when i needed to go to the toilet the staff were just standing around talking about their upcoming christmas party i were rather annoyed
Good for you. If you don't complain they don't know.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Asti View Post
When I had a gynae op about three years ago now in the day surgery and it was on Christmas Eve, I had a brilliant experience, staff were absolutely wonderful, the theatre staff were brilliant, I couldn't fault it at all, I was very lucky, but don't think I will be this time.

Thank you all for your replies.
You must try not to worry, if you had a good experience back then, nothing is to say the standards have slipped in that hospital. Apparently the hospital I was in has always been 'minging'!!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 12:34 AM
My mum is a very senior oncologist who works in an NHS hospital and has a private practice. I'd rather stay in the NHS one!

It's absolutely spotless, though perhaps to be expected with chemo patients staying there.

In my own experience, I went to the same hosp to get some skin on my face cauterised last summer, and i can't fault them, they even made sure i got the same doctor who dealt with my ezema when i was a toddler, even though he hardly did any non-major/not serious skin work anymore! Nurses were lovely, never had to wait longer than ten mins, really looked after me.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
You must try not to worry, if you had a good experience back then, nothing is to say the standards have slipped in that hospital. Apparently the hospital I was in has always been 'minging'!!
I think there are probably more cut backs now to what there was then but thanks, I'll try and keep an open mind.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
My mum is a very senior oncologist who works in an NHS hospital and has a private practice. I'd rather stay in the NHS one!

It's absolutely spotless, though perhaps to be expected with chemo patients staying there.

In my own experience, I went to the same hosp to get some skin on my face cauterised last summer, and i can't fault them, they even made sure i got the same doctor who dealt with my ezema when i was a toddler, even though he hardly did any non-major/not serious skin work anymore! Nurses were lovely, never had to wait longer than ten mins, really looked after me.
That's nice to know.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
The bathrooms on the maternity ward in Warrington Hospital were vile, filthy, bloody, the chair in the shower in there.......omg! I had to wear flip flops, and plastic gloves to shower!!
QMC Nottingham's not much better - THREE DAYS with no loo roll in one of the toilets, despite me reporting it endlessly, and some skanky git had put paper towels (the thought of using THEM to wipe with stitches is somewhat eyewatering - by this point hubby had brought me in Andrex and I was seen heading off up the corridor muttering "my preciousssss" in a way last seen on Lord of the Rings) down the loos and blocked them all... bloodied maternity pads left in the shower for days on end and ones left looking like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre had moved in.

Add in a couple of really unpleasant experiences with some staff who were about as seriously in the wrong job as it's possible to get - including forcing me to do nasal gastric tubefeeds that I'd said I was really uncomfortable doing, and the cow whom, when I'd checked the tube for a feed one morning and wasn't confident it was still in correctly, ignored the buzzer for 30 minutes solid while she sat there reading Heat magazine (I could see her doing it), then strolled in, said she wasn't going to help me - deal with it... couldn't feed the baby till the tube was in correctly either - that one ended up with another trip down to NICU to get someone with a molecule of compassion (and competence) to fit a new feeding tube.

I'm actually having to have counselling to get over the things that we went through in that hellhole - and have spent most of the day sobbing at the thought we might have to go back to the hospital again if the little one's hernia doesn't resolve itself - hubby's put his foot down and said we'd beg and plead to go anywhere else in the country if that happened.

Lost a very dear family friend (more of a father to me than just a family friends) to a hospital infection last year too.

Suffice to say I'm now developing a rather splendid hospital phobia after it all.

Oh and I forgot to add the three and a half hours spent begging for pain relief I had - leading to me having to do the entire labour on two chuffing paracetamol. No one was bothered by the pain I was in.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
I had major surgery in a NHS hosp last Augut and my treatment was brilliant, I couldnt fault anything at all. Also had day surgery at the same hosp in Feb and no problems there either even had tea and biscuits brought to me on a tray
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Got to say when I was admitted as an emergency a few weeks back to Canterbury, the waiting time was a few hours, once it hit half 9 at night things were very speedy- especially for a Friday night too.

I stayed in over the weekend as I needed an operation, nurses and docs were great. I was one of only 3 female patients on the gynaecology ward (was the last one by the time saturday afternoon came). Toilets and showers were clean, and the meals were edible by hospital standards.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >