Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I can only guess that mine disappeared down the loo, they both went missing without a trace. I didn't have it for contraception but I had incessant really heavy bleeding, I believe caused by hrt but they won't admit that, and was originally diagnosed with hyperplasia which is overgrowth of the endometrium. They kept testing me for other things though and my consultant was convinced I had endometrial cancer but every single test came back clear. As a last ditch attempt at a diagnosis and my stubborness that I would not have a hysterectomy based on a gut instinct they agreed to send me for a mri and discovered I actually have adenomyosis which is overgrowth of the endometrium that grows into the muscle of the uterus. Anyway long story short I had a catastropic bleed back in october and ended up rushed into hospital with hemorhagic shock and have been on northisterone ever since which not only has stopped all bleeding but seems to be beating the adenomyosis into submission too.

Good luck with the op and hopefully it will find the coil lurking in there somewhere so you wont need anything further done.
That must have been really frightening being rushed into hospital with hemorhagic shock. I'm glad they got it sorted for you. I've got endometrial hyperlasia.

Thanks again for your reply
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Tell him you want to see it in the condition it was in when removed. Then he can't say he took it out if he didn't and can't show you a new one and say it's the one removed.
I will probably be out for the count if I have a gen anaesthetic
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Coils can migrate to outside the womb by perforating the uterine wall. Coils have ended up in pelvic cavities, have quite often been expelled with and without women being aware of it, and, apparently, babies have emerged clutching them like rattles (I was told this by a nurse!)

Ultrasound should show it up. It could be excess weight that is making it difficult to locate it properly - I've no idea about that. But it seems it is not likely to do much damage by all accounts tho' I can understand your concern and my first concern would be that it was no longer acting as a contraceptive if it was no longer in the uterine cavity.

The number of cases where things go wrong may be very small compared with the number of IUDs fitted but that does not mean something hasn't gone wrong in your case. In any event - make them take notice of your concerns!

http://www.damsels.org/forum/showthr...na-coil-anyone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ctors-campbell

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_...b/AllOnOnePage

http://community.homeandhealthtv.co....91/m/855104322

http://community.homeandhealthtv.co....91/m/467106802
Thank you for all that info and links, very much appreciated. That's amazing that babies come out clutching them It wouldn't surprise me either.

I got no worries about the contreception side of it, I'm 57 years old I'll look up those links now. Thank you so much.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
coils do show up on pelvic x-rays, you can see the "T" shape of the coil and it sits fairly central and in the lower portion of the pelvis. therefore position can be estimated, but not guaranteed.

the coil should have shown up on the internal scan (an external scan may have missed it due to your size) because of the materials its made of. you can ask your doctor to see the reports from the ultrasound and the pelvis x-ray and they shouldn't stop you, as they are your records.
Yes mine showed up on the pelvic xray, the gynae has said "hopefully it's in the right place, it looks like it is".

I just hope to god it is and he gets it out. It's very worrying especially for someone my size having a GA. I've lost two stone in 3 months trying to make it a bit of a better situaton.

Thanks for your reply.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3